6.0 blowing white smoke - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2010, 10:41 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.0 blowing white smoke

My cousin has am 05 6liter w 140k on it. Its blowing white smoke. What does that mean? He said it runs great just blowing white smoke when first started and on take offs. Thanks

1999 f250 reg cab xlt 4x4 v10

<a href="link" target="_blank"> title </a> http://community.webshots.com/user/salnazzaro
salnazzaro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2010, 10:45 AM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (7)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
White smoke could be different things. What does it smell like? sweet like coolant, or like fuel. Is it smoke that hangs around or a cloud that goes away quickly?
1994 F-350 7.3 IDI Turbo, crew cab, E4OD,4:10 L/S, LB, Dually Photos
ATS Turbo upgrades: 3" DP with 3" exhaust Magnaflow XL muffler: Pictures Here
2012 Copper Canyon 273 FWRET w/2 slides, Air Lift 5000 bags
Pillar pod: Autometer C2 Series gauges: pyro,trans, boost, water, oil pressure
Hypermax Cowl induction, K&N air filter, flex-a-lite 26K trans cooler with fan,Tekonsha prodigy
Train Horns: Pictures here

PM please not visitor message
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2010, 12:53 PM   #3 (permalink)

Mine was doing this as well and it would do it when I throttled off from highway speeds more so when at high operating temp, no quite as much when in town and putting around. It turned out to be the EGR cooler. Is he losing coolant? Is the EGR valve wet or the coking looks gooey? Took me 8 hours work and 300$ to fix it myself with hand tools in the driveway,or if your flush 2000k at a mechanic.
It could also be head gaskets, ficm, or injectors probably needs to be diagnosed and then choose your fix from there.

Past truck 1992 F250 XLT 7.3 IDI ex-cab 4x4 auto 372,000 kms. It ran great; then a moose killed it!
pgjeepster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2010, 05:54 PM   #4 (permalink)

if your losing coolant its most likely the egr cooler.
Oxford white, scangauge 2, 3" lift, egr delete, stc upgrade, dieselsite coolant filter, high idle mod, skyjacker s/s,deezee nerf bars and drybox, 305/65-18 BFG all terrains, Hella driving lights and fog lights.
sarnott140 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2010, 11:13 PM   #5 (permalink)

It's very likely a failed EGR cooler and that, without exception, failed because of a plugged oil cooler.

You've got a lot of research to do if you don't want to turn it over to a "pro" to diagnose it - even when I choose to use a pro I feel better about knowing the background information when I turn over the keys.

Search on oil coolers for a lot of good information.
bulletproofdiesel oil cooler
dieselsite coolant filter
mlwest is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2010, 12:40 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlwest View Post
It's very likely a failed EGR cooler and that, "without exception", failed because of a plugged oil cooler.

You've got a lot of research to do if you don't want to turn it over to a "pro" to diagnose it - even when I choose to use a pro I feel better about knowing the background information when I turn over the keys.

Search on oil coolers for a lot of good information.

Really ? Without exception?? In every case? Yes it is good to check into it but without exception that's a hit of quite a few hundred dollars, are you sure in all cases I didn't do mine and it wasn't plugged did I make a mistake or save hundreds of dollars because mine was the exception?

Past truck 1992 F250 XLT 7.3 IDI ex-cab 4x4 auto 372,000 kms. It ran great; then a moose killed it!
pgjeepster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2010, 07:29 PM   #7 (permalink)

This is what my cousin told me, white puffy smoke, smells like hot asphalt and also smells like cleaning products and burnt french fries, the smoke isnt all the time and smells sweet too.

<a href="link" target="_blank"> title </a> http://community.webshots.com/user/salnazzaro
Old 06-20-2010, 07:52 PM   #8 (permalink)

once again, is it going through coolant??? if it is its the egr cooler. if not than its an underfueling issue. start by check ficm voltage
Oxford white, scangauge 2, 3" lift, egr delete, stc upgrade, dieselsite coolant filter, high idle mod, skyjacker s/s,deezee nerf bars and drybox, 305/65-18 BFG all terrains, Hella driving lights and fog lights.
sarnott140 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2010, 07:56 PM   #9 (permalink)

When I fixed mine, after all the time is takes to get down that far, its not much more effort to replace the cooler and hpop screen. I'm also looking get a long life out of my truck, that also why, while being down that far did head gaskets and ARP studs. After my egr cooler went, there was really no good way of telling if the head gaskets were blown, so why not? I think the best approach on these trucks, and any vehicle for that matter is to be proactive. Fix it before it fails or do everything you can to prevent it.
06 F-250 x/c 4X4 sb 17" alloy wheels. Tri-fold tonneau cover, weathertech vent visor,Ford floormats and splash guards. HarleyD headlights, Duplicolor bedliner coated bumpers, 08 rear bumper and taillights, herculiner rocker panels, XM radio, bosch wipers, Recon smoked cab lights, Edge Insight w/EGT probe, winter front.

06/10 ARP studs, turbo back silverline, new head gaskets, new oil cooler, upgraded turbo drain, fuel pressure reg upgrade, coolant filter, high idle mod, harpoon mod, pre-pump spin on fuel filter,ELC coolant, 6.4 banjo bolts, CCV reroute.

Truck weight empty fueled up, 4440 Front, 3040 rear, 7480 gross. Hex VXCF4,
SCT w/customs tunes from Vivian at Quick Tricks and Matt @ gearhead
http://www.fuelly.com/sig-us/59122.png
worldwide73 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2010, 08:17 PM   #10 (permalink)

He says its spewing a little bit of coolant out of the overflow but he isnt going through alot and doesnt have to add any and he says he can smell coolant

Old 06-21-2010, 10:14 AM   #11 (permalink)

Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgjeepster View Post
Really ? Without exception?? In every case? Yes it is good to check into it but without exception that's a hit of quite a few hundred dollars, are you sure in all cases I didn't do mine and it wasn't plugged did I make a mistake or save hundreds of dollars because mine was the exception?
Ford, quite a while back now, updated their procedures to include the requirement that any time an EGR cooler is replaced that that the oil cooler must also be replaced/rebuilt.

Ford and others have traced the high failure rate of the EGR cooler to plugging of the oil cooler.

I would guess that Ford's decision was driven by not only the oil cooler issue but also the labor involved to pull the EGR cooler is not much more when including the oil cooler.

However, I wasn't including anyone who has a tuner or other mods that might also contribute to a failed EGR cooler.

Another really irritating thing is that, unless you have an 05 or newer model with the latest firmware, there's no way easy way to know if you're suffering from an oil cooler that is on it's way out. Long story short, if you don't have some way to monitor the EOT and ECT then you have no convenient way to know that you do or don't have an oil cooler problem.
bulletproofdiesel oil cooler
dieselsite coolant filter

Last edited by mlwest; 06-21-2010 at 10:19 AM.
mlwest is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2010, 02:26 PM   #12 (permalink)

Which side of the oil cooler typically fails, the oil side or the coolant side?
2003 F-350 Lariat CC LWB 4x4, 6.0L, Moonroof, Heated Seats, 6-Disc CD, Adj. Pedals, ESOF, Camper Pkg., Fx4, Roof Lights, Power Tow Mirrors, Trailer Hitch, Toreador Red, Extang BlackMax Tonneau Cover, Viper 591XV Remote Starter, Fumoto Oil Drain Valve, MBRP T-409 Stainless Turbo Back Exhaust - sounds like jet taking off!! Truck Built 04/03, Engine Built 04/12/03 (C95 Injectors) Purchased 07/14/03. New Injectors, Fuel Pressure Spring, & EGR Valve March 2010. New Oil Cooler June 2010.

Early 99 F-250 Regular Cab Silver, 285/75/16 BFG AT's, BlackMax Tonneau, Born 5/98, Received 7/17/98. - SOLD 7/14/03

1988 Ford Bronco XLT, 351W motor - First Truck, Sold June 1998 with 120K, mint condition.
MikeF152 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2010, 04:03 PM   #13 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by salnazzaro View Post
This is what my cousin told me, white puffy smoke, smells like hot burnt french fries, the smoke isnt all the time and smells sweet too.
Maybe he got a tank of bio- diesel
3000 watt inverter keeps drill batteries charged
4" tubo back MBRP cool duals
CFM+ intake elbow / Airaid cold air intake
SCT X3 from innovative diesel
Coolant Filter / Amsoil by-pass system
ATS Intercooler
Fluidampr / 200 amp alternator
ARP head bolts / Black onyx head gaskets
185cc Injectors 70hp+ / stock turbo
stage 1 fuel lines / cross over with fixed orifice
58 volt FIMC mod from swamps diesel
Airdog 2 with in tank fuel module upgrade Mag-Hytec Diff. and trans. covers
Aluminum degas tank
paintingman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2010, 04:18 PM   #14 (permalink)

All of the diesel fuel around us here is bio diesel and he adds the ford fuel addivtive to each tank but this is the first truck thats done this, he has a truck dealership and gets the same fuel and puts the same additive in every truck. He's worried about the 6.0

Old 06-21-2010, 04:34 PM   #15 (permalink)

You can get a tester from napa to test the coolant to see if has carbon from the exhaust in it. most likely a EGR cooler or head gaskets. Ask him if the white smoke lingers in the air like smoke or dissipates like steam. Steam is the EGR cooler coolant around the degas bottle could be the head gaskets
3000 watt inverter keeps drill batteries charged
4" tubo back MBRP cool duals
CFM+ intake elbow / Airaid cold air intake
SCT X3 from innovative diesel
Coolant Filter / Amsoil by-pass system
ATS Intercooler
Fluidampr / 200 amp alternator
ARP head bolts / Black onyx head gaskets
185cc Injectors 70hp+ / stock turbo
stage 1 fuel lines / cross over with fixed orifice
58 volt FIMC mod from swamps diesel
Airdog 2 with in tank fuel module upgrade Mag-Hytec Diff. and trans. covers
Aluminum degas tank
paintingman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.