6.0 coolant leak - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2007, 12:53 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.0 coolant leak

I bought a 2004 F-250 with the 6.0 two months ago. Everything has been fine but I noticed that the coolant level was at or near the minimum line on the reservoir. I added some to it about a month ago and noticed a puddle underneath. I didn't investigate at all.

Recently, I added some coolant and up to the maximum line and the next time I parked, there was a puddle the next morning. I looked all around under the hood and didn't see anything. It was dripping off the bottom of the transmission bell housing.

Time went by and visible puddling stopped for a long period of time.

This past Saturday morning, I hadn't cranked or driven the truck for 3 days. There was no puddle. I checked the coolant level and it was about 1/4 above minimum. I added to about 3/4 of maximum. I didn't crank at all. 6 hours later I noticed a puddle of coolant under the truck. I know I didn't spill any when I added and again I saw no sign under the hood. I felt around the reservoir. Each time the drip is coming off the transmission housing.

Wouldn't it have to be the reservoir? Any ideas of what to do next? I have an appointment at a local Ford dealership tomorrow. Should I keep the appointment?

Any advice would be appreciated.
leenc70 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2007, 01:51 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (3)
Re: 6.0 coolant leak

maybe the egr cooler is leaking? Also, the min line should be your maximum line. If the dealer does find it out to be the egr cooler plead with them to replace the oil cooler as well. good luck to you sir and welcome to tds!
Old 11-05-2007, 05:02 PM   #3 (permalink)

Can you tell if it is making it's way down to the tranny housing from the drivers or passengers side?

I had a small pinhole in the seam on the underside of my degas bottle last month, chased that mystery leak for a week.

"Min line should be the Max" LOL another bandaid brought to you by Ford.

I remember the first time I took her in for puking (the truck that is) the guy at the shop was telling me something about a new and improved degas bottle that was supposed to help...I seem to recall something in the form of a sticker or just an adjusted fill line, until the EGR cooler was replaced and WHALA! a new degas bottle with the only difference being the graduation marks on the side.
LittleBigRig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2007, 05:25 PM   #4 (permalink)

Keep your coolant at the minimum level or it's prone to puking. I read (maybe here), that they've actually changed the max line on the degas jug to where the minimum line is on older models. Can't vouch for that though.

I have run mine at the minimum level for the last 75k miles, no coolant issues.

As for your appointment, I'd try what I suggest for a while. If you do go to the dealer, you'd best be sure you have that tuner off of there.

'03 250 CC SRW SWB, 4x4, XLT, 6.0 T/S, MBRP Turboback, Custom SCT, DiPricol Pyrometer, Adj Pedals, Reverse Sensors, ARE Z-Series Top, Sprayed bedliner, Remote Start/Keyless Entry, Edge Mini-spring pack, Bilsteins, 285's, Sirius Radio, Dark Highland Green
HBO1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2007, 05:28 PM   #5 (permalink)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HBO1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I read (maybe here), that they've actually changed the max line on the degas jug to where the minimum line is on older models. Can't vouch for that though.</div></div>

I can. [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/blush.gif[/img]
LittleBigRig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2007, 05:28 PM   #6 (permalink)

Where do you live, Leenc70?
'03 250 CC SRW SWB, 4x4, XLT, 6.0 T/S, MBRP Turboback, Custom SCT, DiPricol Pyrometer, Adj Pedals, Reverse Sensors, ARE Z-Series Top, Sprayed bedliner, Remote Start/Keyless Entry, Edge Mini-spring pack, Bilsteins, 285's, Sirius Radio, Dark Highland Green
Old 11-05-2007, 05:28 PM   #7 (permalink)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LittleBigRig</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HBO1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I read (maybe here), that they've actually changed the max line on the degas jug to where the minimum line is on older models. Can't vouch for that though.</div></div>

I can. [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/blush.gif[/img]</div></div>

Well, there ya go then!
Old 11-06-2007, 08:28 AM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks to all of you for your responses. I am new to diesel so I am green. I cancelled my appointment at the dealer today. I am going to wait it out and see if the lower level in my coolant reservoir is all I need.

Thanks again, I appreciate it.
Old 11-06-2007, 08:31 AM   #9 (permalink)

Yadkin County in Northwest NC. About 25 miles west of Winston-Salem.
Old 11-19-2007, 11:04 AM   #10 (permalink)

Update:

My leaking problem seems to be much more prevalent when I have ran the heat. Any ideas?
Old 12-17-2007, 01:15 PM   #11 (permalink)

Question about Synthetic oil & a coolant solution found (I hope)

After watching the puddle of coolant happen and not happen with days in between instances, I crawled up on the engine with a flashlight. The only wet place I found was on top of the intake, under the turbo. There is a pipe/hose there that has a bout a 2 inch rubber end that attaches to the intake and travels under the turbo and out of sight to the rear of the engine.

I took the truck to the dealership. Later in the day, they said I was correct about the source of the leak and that "'04's are notorious for that failure". They told me that the turbo and intake were removed to repair the leak. The good news is that they covered it and only charged the $100 deductible.

They also offered some "friendly" advice. The original owner started using Rotella Synthetic but the dealership said that Ford Engineers did not recommend synthetic in diesel engines. I thought synthetic was always better but it costs more and that the cost was it's drawback. Does anyone know if synthetic can hurt a diesel engine?

I was also told that Ford was cracking down on after-market modifications. I told them all that work was already done when I bought the truck about 3 months ago. The dealership advised me to get rid of my Edge tuner and the AFE filter modifications.
Old 12-17-2007, 02:33 PM   #12 (permalink)
OT

My Photos: (8)

Sounds like EGR cooler got replaced. Mods & warr. old news, you decide. Haven't seen any fmc notice on NOT using syn.oils. API (syn/dino) rating is on container.

btw..when your given friendly advice (mods) thats aheads up. Have um show you in writing "don't use syn.oil" Betcha they can't. JMO! Good luck!
Old 12-17-2007, 02:44 PM   #13 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They also offered some "friendly" advice. The original owner started using Rotella Synthetic but the dealership said that Ford Engineers did not recommend synthetic in diesel engines. I thought synthetic was always better but it costs more and that the cost was it's drawback. Does anyone know if synthetic can hurt a diesel engine?</div></div>

From dieselmann's 6.0 bulletins page:
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">6.0 Oil Recommendations:
Some trucks with the 6.0 may exhibit hard starting, rough running and lack of power in cold temperatures, particularly on a cold start. This may be due to the oil being to thick for the operating conditions. Ford is recommending to use the following oils for the listed operating temperature.

SAE 15W-40 is the preferred oil above 30 degrees, but it is acceptable for use down to 10 degrees, and is recommended for towing down to this temperature.
SAE 10W-30 is the preferred weight between -10 to 30 degrees.
SAE 5W-30 and 5W-40 is acceptable for use below 30 degrees, and 0W-30 is acceptable below zero.
(All temperatures are in Fahrenheit.)
The oil used should meet Ford's specification of WSS-M2C171-D or API CI-4 PLUS, CI-4/SL or DHD-1. CH-4 is acceptable for use if CI-4 PLUS is not available. TSB #05-16-6.
Keep in mind that CI-4 oil is designed for the increased soot contamination and higher coolant temperatures of cooled EGR systems on a diesel; CH-4 is not.
Nowhere does the TSB mention synthetic versus conventional oil recomendations or ranges.
Ford has not released anything recommending NOT to use a specific brand of oil.</div></div>

FWIW, I have used synthetic oil in my 6.0 since it's first oil change at 5,000 miles (82,000+ on it today). To date, I have not suffered any ill effects from using it. To date, I haven't experienced many of the problems others have seen (romping, rough idle, sticking injectors, coked up turbo, etc...). I contribute that primarily to the use of the synthetic oil......
2003 Toreador Red/Arizona Beige CC, DRW, Lariat, FX4, 6.0 PSD, Torqshift, born early Feb. 03; AIC; Silverline turbo-back dual exhaust; 155cc injectors from Full Force Diesel (Casserly); SCT with tuning by Tony Wildman (Total Diesel Performance) & Innovative Diesel; ARP studs; Dfuser regulated return; AFE PG7; Fumoto valve; B&W hitch, Di-Pricol gauges; DIESELSITE Coolant filter; Timbrens; Rancho RSXs; Michelin XPS Traction's; a whole bunch of "bling"; Connex 4300hp; Pioneer DEH6100BT; JL Audio 275w amp driving a 12" sub; JL Audio 50wx4 amp driving the Alpine door and rear seat speakers. 380.3hp/786.7ft-lbs (on my tow tune!)

pics

SLAPS President and Webmaster
teamroper60 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2007, 09:07 AM   #14 (permalink)

Thanks for the information.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.