is this 6.0 a deal? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2013, 11:38 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
is this 6.0 a deal?

looking at an 04 single cab XLT with the 6.0 f250. im aware of the "issues" with the 6.0's they claim to have a egr delete have to wait and see on that but im confused does the delete also block a hose? if so which one and where can i look for it? 114000 miles 6 spd.. theyre asking 10,000 for it. gonna try to borrow a set of gauges to take.. am i missing anything and is this a good deal?
colby swob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2013, 04:37 PM   #2 (permalink)

Not a bad price if you ask me.

Definitely try to get some gauges to take with ya. Monitor FICM voltage while starting, and driving. Shouldn't go below 45 volts. Should stay 48-49 volts.
Check oil /water temps also.

Look for any oil leaks, residue on degas cap, an all that stuff.
You would be able to the EGR cooler running along and under passenger side of intake manifold. If not there it's deleted.

Miles seem nice, if its clean inside and out I would say the price is good.....but you can always play the 6.0 card and try to steal it!
Quad Pod w/ EGT, EOT, ECT, Fuel PSI Glowshift Elite 7 series Gauges
MBRP 4" TurboBack off-road
Leveling Kit
20" Moto Metal 957's
295/65/20 Nitto Trail Grapplers
Vortex Spray in Liner

02 F-250 Crew Cab 4x4 auto 7.3L PSD. w/Bullydog 6 position flip chip.

00 Excursion V10 4x4 Limited - SOLD
96 F-250 PSD SOLD
94 Mustang GT H/C/I and NX kit SOLD
95 GT VERT all stock (wifes car)
jamartz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2013, 05:31 PM   #3 (permalink)

Sounds like a very reasonable price, provided it isn't a beat to death work truck. Plan on doing head gaskets and studs though. EGR delete is nice, but its really just a good start.

I'd read IPR pressure if possible too. '03'-'04 trucks can have HPOP problems.

Doing a contribution test would be good too considering the mileage, as injectors start to be a concern as you crest 100k.

I wouldn't pas it up if anything seems of, just reduce what you'd be willing to pay for it.
'06 F250 4x4 - 5" Flo Pro exhaust, SB Filter intake, Accufab elbow, Edge Evolution (monitoring only), SCT w/ ID custom tune, FASS 195 pump, Gillette Diesel EGR cooler delete, Sinister Diesel coolant filter, ELC coolant, updated turbo drain tube/oil feed line/STC fitting/oil cooler, ARPs w/OEM HGs, Elite coolant lines, ITP RR fuel system, Warren Diesel 175cc injectors, Powermax, BD CCV, FICM.com FICM w/ ID tune, Elite UP, BPD water pump - 13.069 @ 101.94

'02 WRX - Outback rear disc swap, EBC green pads, DBA pillar vane rotors, TXS UP/TBE/TMIC, Perrin LW crank pulley, PPG billet steel shift forks, ACT Streetlite flywheel & clutch, K&N filter, STi Group N motor/trans mounts, TiC/Kartboy rear diff mounts/subframe lock bolts/outrigger stiffeners, Kartboy SS & all shifter bushings, custom PDX tune for Cobb AP - went 14.1 on a terrible 60ft before most of these mods; shooting for 13.50s
TKOPerformance is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2013, 07:15 PM   #4 (permalink)

arp studs are gonna be the first thing i do with it it looks near perfect all the way around they just used it as a hauler pretty much all hwy miles. do i need to upgrade head gaskets even with the head studs? playing the 6.0 card does sound good to me haha! definitly check all that was stated.. thanks for the replies if you can think of anything else let me know!
Old 02-15-2013, 07:34 PM   #5 (permalink)

can anyone link a vid or explain how to setup the gauges? sorta new to diesel trucks and i don't have near the knowledge most of you do so go easy.. specifically on this truck?
Old 02-15-2013, 07:51 PM   #6 (permalink)

If you get the EDGE insight I think they are plug and play. If you do the Scangauge 2 you can go to their web site and get the codes from the 6.0 section... Just a matter of entering txt strings, you'll get the hang of it. ALSO, if you are really nice, dieselmac may let you have some his codes...
03 F-250 CC LB XLT 3:73 rear/ almost stock/ early build/ 78,000 miles...03 F-250 ext cab Lariat Fx4 SB 3:73's /stock/187,000 all original injectors...FICM by Ed @FICM.COM / ScanGuage 2 monitoring the vitals...
03powerstrokeuser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2013, 08:00 PM   #7 (permalink)

do you have to add any extra sensors to get EGT's and things of that nature?
Old 02-15-2013, 08:23 PM   #8 (permalink)

If you want the egt then yes! Unless you tow extremely heavy I don't think you'll need it. What I run is the ect/eot/ ficm main/logic and power/ boost psi. Others i use are icp,ipr pressure and icp/ipr voltages. fan speed/egr position%. These things can do a ton of things! No extra sensors for the gauge itself . They read it off the diag. port, except egt. If I might add some insight for ya. What you need to keep an eye on is THAT oil cooler. Then the FICM/batt maint.and maint. in general! The problems actually come from 4 sides. 1 Lack of fuel pressure, 2 electrical/ficm batt maint. 3 overheating the engine oil /oil cooler/egr cooler. 4 lack of critical oem/racor filter use. START w/ finding a good base truck to work with.
03 F-250 CC LB XLT 3:73 rear/ almost stock/ early build/ 78,000 miles...03 F-250 ext cab Lariat Fx4 SB 3:73's /stock/187,000 all original injectors...FICM by Ed @FICM.COM / ScanGuage 2 monitoring the vitals...

Last edited by 03powerstrokeuser; 02-15-2013 at 08:48 PM. Reason: add info/insight
Old 02-15-2013, 09:13 PM   #9 (permalink)

sorry for being such a bother... but could you list normal numbers for all of those gauges?
Old 02-15-2013, 10:14 PM   #10 (permalink)

What to look for: COLD START: RPM 665 @ 48 degrees
IPR 28.7 percent
ICP 843 psi
ICV 1.10
FICM main power 48-48.5 volts
FICM locic power 13.4 volts
Vehicle power/ glow plugs running 12.0 volts
FSS rpm 1472- fan speed sensor
VGT= variable geometry turbo 72/ sweeps through range
Boost 0 psi
ECT ambient 48 degrees
EOT ambient 48 degrees
IAT intake air temp 48 degrees
EGR position 0 percent

normal ect/eot will depend on a lot of conditions as you can guess. Depends really on load and boost. 6-8 degree diff.in these 2 is considered normal. 198-202 ect no load is normal. 200-202 eot no load, oil will always be hotter. 1.7-8psi boost I usually run will increase the oil temp/ not so the coolant temp by 5 degrees sometimes. Get into the 16-18psi boost range and the ect and oil temps rise. Sometimes 10 degree rise. You add an incline and max the truck out towing and thats where the gauges come into play. 230 eot 222ect briefly /crest are normal for me. You also should take into account that "03"-mid "04" coolers while more robust are less efficient. I stay on the lee side of 230 eot to keep the oil /oil cooler happy. WHAT you don't want is all the fun that begins on the other side of 240 eot for an extended period of time. Also I just let the turbo work. 12-16 boost up an incline works for me. Down the interstate unloaded 1.7-6.7 boost gets it done. BTW icp/ipr pressures and voltages fluctuate w/load and engine speed. Hope this helps.

Last edited by 03powerstrokeuser; 02-15-2013 at 10:43 PM. Reason: add info
Old 02-15-2013, 10:24 PM   #11 (permalink)

thank you so much i'll make sure to take a gauge tool then!! so much help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.