6.0 diesel hard starting when cold - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2010, 10:30 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.0 diesel hard starting when cold

My truck is a 2003 f250 6.0 diesel with 124000 miles. only mods are afe intake, mbrp turbo back, gds fuel spring, and sct with innovative xtreme street tune which i havent had on lately. Ive been having a problem starting my truck after it sits over night. when i start it it just cranks and cranks. takes about 6 times of me cranking it before it starts and when it does it runs very rough and lopey but clears up and runs fine after a few minutes. its been doing this everyday for the past week. truck seems to drive fine and smooth with no noticeable power loss. sct tuner comes up with no codes at all. batteries and alternator arent even a year old, fuel filters have been changed about 10000 miles ago, i had an egr delete kit done in august, about 2 weeks ago i had head studs installed with new gaskets and both heads resurfaced and i changed the glow plug module this past friday. yesterday i had the computer reflashed but that didnt seem to help. im starting to run out of money and cant afford this truck anymore lol, especially with christmas coming up.

im new to the site and and not very familiar with diesels. anyone have any ideas what my problem could be caused by? any help is appreciated.

thanks in advance,
rob
trashedbanshee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2010, 11:31 AM   #2 (permalink)

Since you just had some work done, I would double check the glow plug connections. Is the main power cable for the G/P's connected to the pass side battery, How about the buss bars, are they plugged in at the front of each head? Check your basics first.
Kevooo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2010, 12:38 PM   #3 (permalink)

Since it only happens on a cold start could just be an injector that needs to be replaced. When was your last oil change? That could be a place to start. Old oil doesn't do well with 6.0 injectors.

I am also curious how out of spec were your heads when you had them re surfaced and what did they get them to after the re surfacing?
smknf250 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2010, 08:37 PM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (11)
You may have a bad injector I have had this problem after my old 04 truck had the headgaskets replaced and they trued the heads it would blow out the orings on the injectors they had to replace the heads to fix this because the compression on the injectors was to much
07 F-250 6.0 L CC XLT 4x4 Red Addons: ARE Cover, WheelSkin Cover, PML Rear axle Cover, Dieselsite Coolant Filter, C-better Mirrors,Gauges Isspro Fuel press. Trans Temp. EGT gauge. Gauges from Diesel Manor. Edge Insight CS (For EOT & ECT)
04 F-250 6.0 L CC XLT 4x4 White Buy Back
...... 06 Jayco Travel Trailer 32'
KingKong is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2010, 08:44 PM   #5 (permalink)

check your ficm voltage
Oxford white, scangauge 2, 3" lift, egr delete, stc upgrade, dieselsite coolant filter, high idle mod, skyjacker s/s,deezee nerf bars and drybox, 305/65-18 BFG all terrains, Hella driving lights and fog lights.
sarnott140 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2010, 10:34 PM   #6 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by trashedbanshee View Post
My truck is a 2003 f250 6.0 diesel with 124000 miles. only mods are afe intake, mbrp turbo back, gds fuel spring, and sct with innovative xtreme street tune which i havent had on lately. Ive been having a problem starting my truck after it sits over night. when i start it it just cranks and cranks. takes about 6 times of me cranking it before it starts and when it does it runs very rough and lopey but clears up and runs fine after a few minutes. its been doing this everyday for the past week. truck seems to drive fine and smooth with no noticeable power loss. sct tuner comes up with no codes at all. batteries and alternator arent even a year old, fuel filters have been changed about 10000 miles ago, i had an egr delete kit done in august, about 2 weeks ago i had head studs installed with new gaskets and both heads resurfaced and i changed the glow plug module this past friday. yesterday i had the computer reflashed but that didnt seem to help. im starting to run out of money and cant afford this truck anymore lol, especially with christmas coming up.

im new to the site and and not very familiar with diesels. anyone have any ideas what my problem could be caused by? any help is appreciated.

thanks in advance,
rob

I see you are running a GDS Fuel Spring and if you are not useing a fuel pressure gauge you may be in trouble because they are known to make over 100 lbs of fuel pressure where anything over 70 lbs may blow injectors o-rings, just a thought. I have read there site and it's not for my motor
62 lbs idle is about right and around 58 lbs at WOT
2 stroker
Sinister Fuel Pressure Adapter
Updated Fuel Reg. Kit 3C3Z-9T517-AG
WOT 58lbs Idle 62-64lbs Just Right
HFCM Water Separator Drain Plug Upgrade
Ford Cetane boost every fillup
Amsoil By-Pass(Amsoil 5w40)
Fumoto Oil Drain Valve
Dieselsite Coolant Filtration System
Dieselsite Boots
Delo ELC Coolant
Tow Command
Upfitter Switches
Pulling a 14,000 lb Alpenlite 5er
Roll-N-Lock bed cover
97 F350 4x4 PSD CC LB (sold it)
1700 Super Chip
PacBrake&ATS converter lockup
3" dp-4" exhaust
TruCool 28,000 lb cooler
Tymar Intake
A pillar EGT,Boost,Trans
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2010, 03:18 PM   #7 (permalink)

I am going to check everything you guys suggested. Oil was changed when i had the gaskets and studs installed. I dont know the specs of the heads before and after, i never asked the mechanic. I do not have a fuel pressure guage so im unsure what psi im running. I changed that spring this past january but noticed nothing from it. I will probably change back to a stock spring as soon as i figure out my current problem.

Yesterday when i posted is when my truck gave me a starting problem. Since i got the truck to start yesterday, it started and ran fine all day yesterday. i got in late around 12 last night and at 6 this morning it was about 30 degrees out and to my suprise the truck started without a problem. im at work by 7 and out by 330 and my truck started normally. i dont get it does the truck fix itself? lol.

Thanks for everyones help.

Last edited by trashedbanshee; 11-29-2010 at 03:20 PM. Reason: forgot to add some information
Old 11-30-2010, 11:20 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnott140 View Post
check your ficm voltage

+2 needs 48v if it's low this is a great way to kill your injectors.ALSO welcome to the site There is also a great tec form on top by Bismic on no start that will help you out. Good luck
diesel site coolant filter, Scangauge 2,Rotella ELC coolant,4" MBRP with 5"Single Stack, updated fuel (Blue fuel spring)3c3z-9T517-AgSTC Fitting, High Pressure oil Stand Pipes,Nitto Trail Grapplers MT, Daystar 2-1/2 leveling kit
buckshot 2005 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2010, 03:27 PM   #9 (permalink)

About the FICM - Mine seems to work fine Except when engine cold and no block heater plugged in. As long as the Block Heater is plugged in - it works just fine - else lots of black smoke. I have new batteries & had all eight injectors replaced 20K ago. IS this similar to your symptoms?
Old 11-30-2010, 04:14 PM   #10 (permalink)

mine only has starting problems when motor is cold. i dont think its cold enough for me to plug my truck in overnight. the one day i had a feeling it was going to give me a problem i plugged it in for about an hour and it didnt help. still have to check ficm but yet again today it started fine. i bought the truck with 107000 miles and i have 124000 on it now. mechanic ive been going to told me my problem could be injectors. as far as i know my injectors are original and was told they are only good for about 80000. is this true?
Old 12-01-2010, 08:14 AM   #11 (permalink)

I am no expert on these diesels at all, but I was just at the dealer last night with an intercooler problem. The mechanic hooked up a laptop to verify that the turbo was not over boosting. While he was seting up the laptop he noticed the a code for long cranking, he asked me if it was hard starting, I told him around 5 seconds to crank then it would start, said it should be around 3 seconds. He looked at the FICM volts and they where around 30, he said to watch the exhaust pipe and see the white smoke when he reved it up. It blew smoke out like I have never seen. Then as the volts came upi on the FICM the smoke would slowly go away till there was none,48 volts.
Now I am not saying that this could be your problem but just my experince last night.
Hope this helps.
dco111 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2010, 06:45 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by trashedbanshee View Post
mine only has starting problems when motor is cold. i dont think its cold enough for me to plug my truck in overnight. the one day i had a feeling it was going to give me a problem i plugged it in for about an hour and it didnt help. still have to check ficm but yet again today it started fine. i bought the truck with 107000 miles and i have 124000 on it now. mechanic ive been going to told me my problem could be injectors. as far as i know my injectors are original and was told they are only good for about 80000. is this true?

whoever told you injectors are good for only 80K is an idiot. every truck is different as is the maintanence. My work truck is an 03 with 380K on it and has never had an injector replaced and runs as good as my 06. alot depends on oil, fuel, and fuel pressure (which you should get checked )
Oxford white, scangauge 2, 3" lift, egr delete, stc upgrade, dieselsite coolant filter, high idle mod, skyjacker s/s,deezee nerf bars and drybox, 305/65-18 BFG all terrains, Hella driving lights and fog lights.
sarnott140 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2010, 12:33 PM   #13 (permalink)

dropped my truck off to the same mechanic. recieved a text late last night an was told bad ficm, main voltage is too low. 7 and 8 injectors are leaking down thats why it has a miss when it starts and said fuel pump doesnt sound too good and will need to be changed soon.

I need this thing fixed but im short on money. id like to do injectors myself but not sure whats involved. i know he can do them in a day easily but the bill is going to be about 2400 bucks. i can replace the fuel pump myself as well as the ficm. i was thinking about sending out my ficm and having it repaired by bulletproofdiesel.com.

im not sure what is causing what to go bad but after replacing everything i do not want to have it happen again in the near future. Is my tune from innovative for my sct straining any of theses parts (injectors, fuel pump,etc.)?

i dont think the fuel spring is doing anything for me so that will most likely be going back to a stock spring. curious if stock fuel pump can keep up while i am running this tune and maybe i should go with an air dog 2 setup. has anyone used this pump on their 6.0? should i be looking into a bigger or better injector than an oem ford injector? also i read somewhere that when they rebuild/repair an ficm they can get the volts up to 58 rather than stock limit of 48 volts. is it worth having the higher voltage?

sorry for rambling on and the confusing book that i just posted. kinda confused and lost on what i should do.

thanks for all your help its very much appreciated,
rob
Old 12-05-2010, 08:10 PM   #14 (permalink)

anyone?
Old 12-05-2010, 08:22 PM   #15 (permalink)

Ford states that fuel pressures over 75 psig can potentially cause injector o-ring leaks. Everyone I know that had (has) the GDS spring is seeing 100 psig +. I think going to the revised OEM spring is a great idea.
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARP studs;OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Ball joints;Coolant filter;High-Idle mod;RACCCV6000;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;SynchroMax xfer case;Fumoto valve;Harpooned;CPOhighwayProducts toolbox;tracrac;Fox Weatherboots;Wet Okole Seat Covers;BriteBox;Re-flashed;Quadzilla Recon XZT Fuel Press;Blue FPR spring;DashDAQ;PHP FICM;RiffRaff boots;DCPower250A;PowerInverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;One-piece HPOP fitting;D-plugs&standpipes;BPD Billet WaterPump;SCT w/ Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra;DuraTracs
bismic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.