6.0 diesel powerstroke problems - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2008, 01:54 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thumbs down 6.0 diesel powerstroke problems

I was searching this web sight concerning others who have dealt with the 'infamous' 6.0 powerstroke. I am surprised to see positive comments. My experience with this truck/Ford motor company has been unbelievable. the company i work for has 5 diesel trucks, one is a 7.3, all except the 6.0 have been great. At 40,000 driving interstate unloaded the engine overheated. Despite records etc. Ford says "no warranty, you were negligent". I asked how, i have asked 12 times over the past year how i was negligent, Ford will not talk, they say nothing. I have asked them to address TSB's about overheating, the mechanic who did the engine replacement (not a ford employee) wrote ford saying there was nothing wrong and that they should warranty it, we even held onto the original engine for a month and invited ford to make the 2mi trip from the dealership to take a closer look, they did nothing. One of my work associates have had similar problems and ford has treated him with a cold shoulder too. A rental company we use is switching to GMC because they are tired of ford. My experience with the 6.0 is that if you walk into a crowd and ask for testimonies your going to here bad ones. Since the new Jasper engine was put in, the truck has run great, no problems. If Ford would simply talk with me and answer my questions i would be satisfied, but they will offer no explanation.
corey o'steen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2008, 02:07 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (4)
Corey ,

I too disagree on the way in which Ford is handling the true problems with this series of engines. Now by "true" problem, I am referring to those that were cause by bad engineering, poor manufacturing practices, etc., not by those that mis-treated their truck in some way or another. I guess for them to acknowledge it is their fault is also to acknowledge that they engineered a bad product and will thus be forced by someone else (governmental agency, judge, etc.) to pay even more in warranty costs, likely causing drastic changes within the Ford Motor Company. I for one have had no problems with my truck, but even so, I am worried about having to pay money out of pocket when something happens to my engine after the warranty is up. It is unfortunate that all of us consumers are left with forking out our cash to fix something that Ford should belly up to and fix. And, it doesn't help that you can't get at least an answer...that bugs me to no end when someone does that, like you're below them. But, as the saying goes, "What goes around, comes around..."

On another note, what kind of Jasper engine did yall install? Do they do replacement 6.0Ls?

Also, welcome to TDS!

Later,

* '04 F250 XCab LWB 4X4 w/ FX4 *
* TorqShift *
* Manual 4WD *
* Carpet Delete *
* No. 2 ONLY *
* High-Idle Mod *
* Fumoto Valve *
AllOutFirefighter13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2008, 02:09 PM   #3 (permalink)

?? Not sure what you mean by walking into a crowd and hearing bad testimonies.

Every manufacturer has it's problems. If they didn't, then they wouldn't have service shops beaming with activity.

On forums like this one, you are obviously going to hear about problems because that's why people get on here. To ask questions. But I have seen my fair share of problem free 6.0's to include my own.

If the Powerstroke was really that bad of a motor I doubt that Ford would be selling so many. Out of 10 3/4 and 1 ton pickups I see on the road in Florida, half are Fords and the other half are split between Dodge and GM. If you drive into a campground or RV park (which we do to visit my grandparents twice a month) you will see more than half of the trucks are Powerstrokes.

I'm not saying you're NOT having issues or that Ford shouldn't step up to the plate. I have no idea what happened with your truck. I'm just saying there are plenty of us out there that love our 6.0's and drive them worry free of being stranded on the road.
sergeantnic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2008, 02:37 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by corey o'steen View Post
I was searching this web sight concerning others who have dealt with the 'infamous' 6.0 powerstroke. I am surprised to see positive comments. My experience with this truck/Ford motor company has been unbelievable. the company i work for has 5 diesel trucks, one is a 7.3, all except the 6.0 have been great. At 40,000 driving interstate unloaded the engine overheated. Despite records etc. Ford says "no warranty, you were negligent". I asked how, i have asked 12 times over the past year how i was negligent, Ford will not talk, they say nothing. I have asked them to address TSB's about overheating, the mechanic who did the engine replacement (not a ford employee) wrote ford saying there was nothing wrong and that they should warranty it, we even held onto the original engine for a month and invited ford to make the 2mi trip from the dealership to take a closer look, they did nothing. One of my work associates have had similar problems and ford has treated him with a cold shoulder too. A rental company we use is switching to GMC because they are tired of ford. My experience with the 6.0 is that if you walk into a crowd and ask for testimonies your going to here bad ones. Since the new Jasper engine was put in, the truck has run great, no problems. If Ford would simply talk with me and answer my questions i would be satisfied, but they will offer no explanation.
Okay, I'm pulling out the Bravo Sierra card right now, or maybe I need some clarification. When you state "Ford," was it a Ford employee or a Ford DEALER employee that told you no warranty? When you talked with "Ford," was it Ford or a Ford DEALER? Even all the "horror" stories on here, I have not seen on that has stated Ford denied warranty for "negligence;" ONLY if the truck was chipped has Ford denied warranties. So, I'm guessing Mr. First Time Poster, you are either not giving us all the facts or you are a Sierra Stirrer; time for you to UATA in my opinion.
Old 01-25-2008, 03:56 PM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (4)
Send a message via Yahoo to Texrob1
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtodieseling View Post
Okay, I'm pulling out the Bravo Sierra card right now, or maybe I need some clarification. When you state "Ford," was it a Ford employee or a Ford DEALER employee that told you no warranty? When you talked with "Ford," was it Ford or a Ford DEALER? Even all the "horror" stories on here, I have not seen on that has stated Ford denied warranty for "negligence;" ONLY if the truck was chipped has Ford denied warranties. So, I'm guessing Mr. First Time Poster, you are either not giving us all the facts or you are a Sierra Stirrer; time for you to UATA in my opinion.
X2,For some reason something smells fishy here,I can't believe Ford won't tell this guy why they are not covering repairs.
Old 01-25-2008, 09:21 PM   #6 (permalink)

X3.

If this is true one or more of the following apply:

1- Lots of info left out!

2- Misleading.

3- Im sure any business would have an attorney on board before paying to replace an engine. If not, Im sure the business wont last much longer. Foolish.

4- The truck was neglected.

Welcome... and goodbye, becasue this is where this thread is going= unless you can provide a lot more info.

2004 Surf Side 30' pull trailer

2002 Mustang GT

1968 Pontiac Firebird (restored)
Smiley1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2008, 10:08 PM   #7 (permalink)

Before and even after I bought my 6.0 I was told by Ford (7.3)owners that I would not like it not enough power lots of problems would not make it past 50,000 and I would get rid of it. That was in '04 and here it is 4yrs later and 100,564 miles later and no motor problems and my dad had a 2000 F350 CC 6 speed 7.3 and he said that he though it had as much if not a little more power than his. What little work I had done Ford dealer did warranty it (ERG valve, down tube on turbo cracked) and never ask any questions.

'02 Saturn VUE (wife's)
'86 Mazda only 114k
Rkimmel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2008, 11:33 AM   #8 (permalink)

I've yet to see any STOCK 7.3 have more power than a 6.0. Whoever told you that is smoking some wacky tabacky

http://community.webshots.com/user/FineFord
FINE69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2008, 01:57 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

Seeing as how the OP has only made one post and has never come back is a good indication of the reliability of his information. He is clearly a troll and at this point, probably the best thing that could happen is for this thread to just fade away........
2003 Toreador Red/Arizona Beige CC, DRW, Lariat, FX4, 6.0 PSD, Torqshift, born early Feb. 03; AIC; Silverline turbo-back dual exhaust; 155cc injectors from Full Force Diesel (Casserly); SCT with tuning by Tony Wildman (Total Diesel Performance) & Innovative Diesel; ARP studs; Dfuser regulated return; AFE PG7; Fumoto valve; B&W hitch, Di-Pricol gauges; DIESELSITE Coolant filter; Timbrens; Rancho RSXs; Michelin XPS Traction's; a whole bunch of "bling"; Connex 4300hp; Pioneer DEH6100BT; JL Audio 275w amp driving a 12" sub; JL Audio 50wx4 amp driving the Alpine door and rear seat speakers. 380.3hp/786.7ft-lbs (on my tow tune!)

pics

SLAPS President and Webmaster
teamroper60 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2008, 12:04 PM   #10 (permalink)

reply to 6.0 diesel problems

thanks for the replies. Here are a few details in regards to your comments.
- I have no idea if the 7.3 has more power than a 6.0. I do know that my 7.3 has over 170k of problem free miles and there is no controversy over it. Because this truck had been such a good performer, when i went to purchase other trucks i was very dedicated to trying to just buy ford
-The truck was purchased used with 1900mi from a dealer in Ga., i used a local dealer in opelika for all service. The dealer has been great, i have no complaints over them. They would not touch the engine until Ford gave them confirmation, i can't blame them for this. When ford gave resistance i asked to speak with someone. Ford sent me someone who would only reply "I'm not an engineer, i can't answer that question". One of the main questions i had was why didn't the engine shut down as it states in the owners manual (320 F), the tech stated the engine got up to 470 F.
-On the inside of the hood there is a rusty residue that my mechinic said was from the engine coolant boiling over, this directly addresses one of the issues my mechanic showed me int the TSB's
-I did put a high flow air filter on the truck, it is much easier to keep clean. Several months earlier while doing service ford changed my program. Unfortunately, this reduced power and i got 10% less milege.
-i called my mechanic and did confirm that there is a jasper engine, this engine, the new one, is chipped. Before purchasing the engine i received a long list of all the modifications Jasper had done and was told by my mechanic that this fixed the problems the 6.0 had been having. So far it seems as if that is true.
-I did consult an attorney who stated that regardless of how good of a case i had this could be a risky battle going up against a large corp. because they have well paid lawyers who can bog the fight down in red tape.
-All i have asked from ford is a simple reason why they will not warranty this truck. There only reply is "negligence" not any specific detail about what kind of negligence. The truck sat at the dealer for over 2 months while i requested to meet with the engineer and have him show me why he made his decision and they did nothing. The only thing i have gotten from customer service at ford is "the engineers decision is final, we will not discuss this further"
-FYI, my vehicle track record- sold my camry with over 265k, have 7.3 with over 170k, have mitsubishi truck with over 200k, have a chevy gas 3500 with 150k, the other trucks are too young to brag about.
corey o'steen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2009, 05:22 PM   #11 (permalink)

Sorry to bring up an old post but I really wanted to add something to this. I guess being my first post looks bad but I just registered and will be posting more. I just bought a 6.0 powerstroke last week its used 04 w/ 130k miles. When I went out looking for trucks I just wanted one w/ a diesel so that was only the requirement. I wasn't brand specific and looked at chevy's and dodge's too. When I looked at the ford i really liked it so I bought it and then when I read on the internet the horror stories w/ the 6.0 I was like like crap how did i get the worst reliable diesel motor haha. So i'll cross my fingers that it holds up. Anyways I was going to add my 2 cents about Ford being just a little dirty. 2 years ago I had a 98 ford cobra mustang and the motor blew up. i looked at buying new motors and the ford dealer had a reman new motor with a 3yr warranty but it cost way more than getting one outta junkyard or anywhere else for that matter. So I was like i'll spend the extra 3k for the motor and their install so i'll have me a nice new motor with a warranty...haha it wasn't 3 months down the road that it quit running. A camshaft sproket or something broke and took out some valves and it was a pricey repair bill. I took it to the ford dealer in jackson, tn and talked to the same service manager that installed the motor and he said i had to produce my receipt to get warranty work done. Problem is my stupid ass lost it. So I was like you know I bought it here 3 months ago can u print me another receipt and he said they didn't have it. I was like this is BS. Lucky for me I had an old buddy they worked at another ford dealer in the next town as a diesel mechanic. I called him and he said yeah they keep copies of the receipts and he would get in the computer and get it for me. I took my copy upto the service manager that my buddy gave me and said here you go u f*cker now fix it. So they were trying to be shady and do everything they could to get out of their warranty. I even called their customer complaint hotline saying they wouldn't print my receipt and honor my warranty and they basically said sorry you shouldn't have lost it. Now I know i shouldn't have lost my receipt but it was a honest mistake and they keep receipts in the computers for probably years and it made me mad that this service manager KNEW i got the motor from there with the warranty I really wanted to punch him in the face. i guess the moral of the story is to have good friends in high places. But there are several shady dealerships out there. Sorry for the long post and thanks for reading.
JTeuton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2009, 05:42 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by corey o'steen View Post
One of the main questions i had was why didn't the engine shut down as it states in the owners manual (320 F), the tech stated the engine got up to 470 F.
-On the inside of the hood there is a rusty residue that my mechinic said was from the engine coolant boiling over, this directly addresses one of the issues my mechanic showed me int the TSB's
-I did put a high flow air filter on the truck, it is much easier to keep clean.
This just doesn't make sense. What temperature got up to 320 (let alone 470) *F? Copy the portion in the manual that states you can go up to 320 *F for ANY fluid and please post it. The PC/ED manual states that the engine will defuel in the low to mid 200's for coolant. Oil can go a little higher, but not much.

Coolant boiling over will be a chalky white residue. If it is rusty, someone used the wrong coolant (or none at all).

Just a summary observation - there are always a few vehicles produced by any manufacturer that will be lemons. If we took one story and then applied it to all produced vehicles, we would still be stepping in horse manure on the roadways - no-one would be buying ANY vehicles.
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARP studs;OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Ball joints;Coolant filter;High-Idle mod;RACCCV6000;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;SynchroMax xfer case;Fumoto valve;Harpooned;CPOhighwayProducts toolbox;tracrac;Fox Weatherboots;Wet Okole Seat Covers;BriteBox;Re-flashed;Quadzilla Recon XZT Fuel Press;Blue FPR spring;DashDAQ;PHP FICM;RiffRaff boots;DCPower270A XP;PowerInverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;One-piece HPOP fitting;D-plugs&standpipes;BPD Billet WaterPump;SCT w/ Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra;DuraTracs
bismic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2009, 05:54 PM   #13 (permalink)

My Photos: (6)
I'm surprised someone responded to a almost 2 year old post.

BUT, I've never had any problems with a Ford dealership honoring warrenties, yes they have been stupid about the diagnosis but they still did the work. Sometime I'd tell them what to fix, I'd diagnose it, and outright TELL them to replace a certain part.
I had a 02 Mustang that had a bad carrier bearing in the rear. I TOLD them what to replace. They replaced the third gear synchro and made me buy a $800 clutch. Needless to say it was back in their shop later the day I picked it up to have the carrier bearing replaced.
They never said anything about my intake, exhaust, suspension, or anything else I had done to it.
If my vehicles don't have a ford warrenty I never take them to ford, and even when they do I'm reluctant, but not because it won't get fixed, but because most of them are idiots.
Old 07-25-2009, 07:08 PM   #14 (permalink)

I hate to be negative about any Ford product, but in my opinion I think Ford did not do enough testing before the release of the 6.0 liter. At the same time there seems to be problems every time any company makes drastic changes to a product. If you stop and think about everthing new that has ever came out whether it be a vehicle,video game,firearm,etc. they seem to always have defects or recalls. I don't know how many times I have heard to never buy something the first year it comes out ,but to wait until the bugs are worked out. I for one am proud to drive my 6.0 and I would rather push my Ford than to drive a chevy or dodge.
ballzout 04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2009, 10:22 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballzout 04 View Post
I hate to be negative about any Ford product, but in my opinion I think Ford did not do enough testing before the release of the 6.0 liter. At the same time there seems to be problems every time any company makes drastic changes to a product. If you stop and think about everthing new that has ever came out whether it be a vehicle,video game,firearm,etc. they seem to always have defects or recalls. I don't know how many times I have heard to never buy something the first year it comes out ,but to wait until the bugs are worked out. I for one am proud to drive my 6.0 and I would rather push my Ford than to drive a chevy or dodge.

There are well over a million 6.0 vehicles produced and there are many X many owners who never had any major problems with the engine. I have an early Dec. 2002 6.0 that is basicly trouble free. 1 ICP sensor, 2-3 recalls for 15 minute fixs, 1 rear pinion leak, 1 vacuum leak. 117,000 miles. There are alot of problems with these engines that are caused by maintainence neglect. I have heard on these forums many times from people who let there fuel filter changes go for many thousands of miles beyond the 15,000 maximum replacement. Another major contributer to engine problems are performance tuners
Ljutic SS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.