6.0 exhaust leak - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2006, 07:20 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.0 exhaust leak

2003 6.0l f-250
exhaust leak, while idling the fumes from exhaust stink up the cab. anybody have any ideas what might be causing this.
jreed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2006, 07:27 PM   #2 (permalink)

Re: 6.0 exhaust leak

Check your recalls. I'm not sure if the 2003s are covered by it, but there is a TSB on exhaust fumes in the cab.

Have you asked a service rep about it?

Nate
I wired my radar detector into the #4 upfitter switch.

Valley Slider, full articulatioon 5er hitch.
Layton Rampage 289 - two ATVs - Box of firewood - full tank of gas...what else ya need?
stuckinthemud is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2006, 08:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

Probably a cracked y-pipe. I saw one of these the other day on an 04/03. Your dealer should be able to fix it, no problem....
2003 Toreador Red/Arizona Beige CC, DRW, Lariat, FX4, 6.0 PSD, Torqshift, born early Feb. 03; AIC; Silverline turbo-back dual exhaust; 155cc injectors from Full Force Diesel (Casserly); SCT with tuning by Tony Wildman (Total Diesel Performance) & Innovative Diesel; ARP studs; Dfuser regulated return; AFE PG7; Fumoto valve; B&W hitch, Di-Pricol gauges; DIESELSITE Coolant filter; Timbrens; Rancho RSXs; Michelin XPS Traction's; a whole bunch of "bling"; Connex 4300hp; Pioneer DEH6100BT; JL Audio 275w amp driving a 12" sub; JL Audio 50wx4 amp driving the Alpine door and rear seat speakers. 380.3hp/786.7ft-lbs (on my tow tune!)

pics

SLAPS President and Webmaster
teamroper60 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2006, 08:50 PM   #4 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
Probably a cracked y-pipe. I saw one of these the other day on an 04/03. Your dealer should be able to fix it, no problem....

[/ QUOTE ]

Where exactly in the Y pipe.I was looking on mine 05 and couldn't find it.
Old 02-14-2006, 08:59 PM   #5 (permalink)

<font color="blue"> Exhaust Smell in Cab:
If an exhaust smell is present in the cab, inspect for leaks at the exhaust manifolds. Ford's procedure calls for warming up the truck to operating temperature, then shutting off the engine, remove the EBP sensor and use a smoke machine to feed smoke into the exhaust system. Inspect each exhaust port, manifold flange and Y-pipe joint for smoke leakage. I find using a length of hose as a stethyscope while the engine is running works well to pinpoint exhaust leaks. If a leak is found at the exhaust manifold, replace only the manifold gasket that is leaking(I think this should read INSTALL a gasket, since originally there are no gaskets at the manifolds). Gasket P/N 5C4Z-9448-A.
TSB 05-13-9.</font>

The above info is the TSB. I am going to have mine looked at again next week when I take it in for the reflash...
Old 02-14-2006, 09:08 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Where exactly in the Y pipe.I was looking on mine 05 and couldn't find it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know that there is a specific place on the y-pipe that is most prone to crack, but if you look at it and find soot on it, chances are, you have a crack. If you don't see soot, you probably don't have a crack. On the one I was looking at, the owner had been complaining about the smell at idle. We opened the hood and the first clue was the insulation on the driver's side of the firewall had lost it's shine and was very sooty. We used a mechanics mirror to look at the pipe and saw the soot.
2003 Toreador Red/Arizona Beige CC, DRW, Lariat, FX4, 6.0 PSD, Torqshift, born early Feb. 03; AIC; Silverline turbo-back dual exhaust; 155cc injectors from Full Force Diesel (Casserly); SCT with tuning by Tony Wildman (Total Diesel Performance) & Innovative Diesel; ARP studs; Dfuser regulated return; AFE PG7; Fumoto valve; B&W hitch, Di-Pricol gauges; DIESELSITE Coolant filter; Timbrens; Rancho RSXs; Michelin XPS Traction's; a whole bunch of "bling"; Connex 4300hp; Pioneer DEH6100BT; JL Audio 275w amp driving a 12" sub; JL Audio 50wx4 amp driving the Alpine door and rear seat speakers. 380.3hp/786.7ft-lbs (on my tow tune!)

pics

SLAPS President and Webmaster
teamroper60 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2006, 05:31 AM   #7 (permalink)

I.m not familiar with a y pipe. where is it located. Is this the down pipe coming from the turbo. I am getting to put a 4" exhaust on the truck, but I want to make sure I have located the exhaust leak before I install it.
Thanks for your input
jreed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2006, 06:05 AM   #8 (permalink)

The only way to get a really good view of it is with the engine out of the truck... and as usual, the 6.0 Bible to the rescue!

http://www.backglass.org/duncan/ps60...l/ps60_011.jpg

http://www.backglass.org/duncan/ps60...l/ps60_013.jpg

It's easier to see the Y-ness of it in the top views (second link). I believe a lot of the cracking occurs in the flexible joint portions.

Duncan
The 6.0L Bible: Web page
The 6.4L Bible: Web page
frobozz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2006, 06:57 AM   #9 (permalink)

My Photos: (4)

When I took mine in for cab smell along with the recent recall, they siad that exhaust manifold bolts were loose. They tightened them and now the smell is gone.

1976 Bronco, 4.5"WH Lift, Cage Arms, 5.13 Spool Rear, Detroit Front, 36" Iroks, COR Family Cage, Custom front & Rear Bumpers, 351W, Ford EFI, Headers, ZF 5 speed, Tube Front Clip.
rcm800 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2006, 07:23 AM   #10 (permalink)

The Y-pipe in reference is the pipe that goes from the rear of each exhaust manifold inward then upward to the rear of the turbo, some of these pipes have expansion sleeves and some don't, some crack behind the turbo allowing exhaust fumes to enter the passenger compartment. There is a tsb on this issue. I am not saying this is your concern, just a possiblity.
good luck
Old 02-15-2006, 08:17 AM   #11 (permalink)

This is one area on the 6.0 that really "looks" like they saved a few bucks over the 7.3. The y-pipe feeding into the turbo is a welded steel design. It looks somewhat similar to headers, and just before the mate with the turbo the two pipes come together with a weld, and a flange that mounts to the turbo via the clamp. On the 7.3 engines there is no y-pipe. There is a coupler between the turbo, and the two exhaust pipes coming off of the manifolds. The coupler is a casting, not welded or stamped. It has been referred to in production as a "baby-butt" because it's small, and the casting on the backside has a remarkable similarity to butt cheeks. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
DIY-Coolant Filter

137,000 as of 1/26/2012

3/19/11, Converted to (red) Delo ELC, new bottle & cap, all temps reading good, orig EGR & OIL coolers, probably thanks to the coolant filter, and previously frequently flushed Motorcrap Gold.

Keep on truckin
andrewbalser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2006, 08:54 AM   #12 (permalink)

My exhaust problem is driving me crazy. I would get what I believe to be exhaust in the cab only after coming to a stop and idling while waiting for a signal to change. Dealer added manifold gaskets and it seems to happen less frequently but I still get this odd odor (I believe it's exhaust) when the AC is operating or the vent is on. The Service Writer drove my truck home and indicated he believes there is no exhaust leak and the odor is normal. When my family is in the truck they smell it too. At this point I'm going to look for an IAQ sensor to try to prove it's exhaust I'm smelling. (Hopefully I'm not just going crazy from reading about problems on this site [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img])
Pillar Mount Gauges
Line-X Bed Liner
Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags
rcchallenger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2006, 09:06 AM   #13 (permalink)

How many miles does your truck have on it? I would certainly suggest the sensor method, but there are also 'break in period' odors that I have read about on the 05s and 06s. I never noticed them on my 03, but have read about them going away after so many thousand miles.
andrewbalser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2006, 09:14 AM   #14 (permalink)

I probably need to update my sig.

My truck is an 05 with 10/2004 build date. I purchased the truck in February 05 and it now has approximately 8,600 miles on the odometer.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm sure hopeful this can be resolved. Although I have had a considerable number of problems, I really love driving and towing my 5th wheel with this truck.
Pillar Mount Gauges
Line-X Bed Liner
Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags
rcchallenger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2006, 10:32 AM   #15 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
I probably need to update my sig.

My truck is an 05 with 10/2004 build date. I purchased the truck in February 05 and it now has approximately 8,600 miles on the odometer.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm sure hopeful this can be resolved. Although I have had a considerable number of problems, I really love driving and towing my 5th wheel with this truck.

[/ QUOTE ]

My 05 has an 11/04 build date and i have this same prob with the exhaust smell.

I am sittin here right no i'm wondering why i have to do all the work for the service writers.Just got off the phone with him and he says theres no tsb's regarding this issue or for the droan/vibration i get at about 1750rpm.Why is it that we dieselstop members have all this info and the dealer(service writer)doesn't.I just don't get it.
Now i'm gett'in myself all worked up .Guess i'll have to get the tsb numbers and forward them to this guy so i get get my truck fixed.I may have to send them a bill for my time!!!
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.