6.0 life expectency? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2005, 10:02 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.0 life expectency?

I have a 2003 F350 with a 6.0 diesel.It has 94,000 miles and purrs like a kitten. It pulls a 6x20 landscape trailer and an 8x20 enclosed trailer year round. It is well maintained. How many miles can I expect to get?

PS (I have a 1995 Dodge 4x4 5.2L gas with 275,000 miles) <font color="green">
delbay2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2005, 10:18 PM   #2 (permalink)

Re: 6.0 life expectency?

we have a 2003 6.0l with 151000 miles in our ambulance, still running strong

Ian
firefighter911 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2005, 12:20 AM   #3 (permalink)

Delbay, I believe teh 2003 were rated by Ford to have a 200K average life before major rebuild. (My memory is shakey on those numbers) I do know that the 05's have been up'd to 250K miles. However, we all know that those numbers are contingent on numerous things so don't take them to heart. 5.9 Cummins is rated for 350K miles before rebuilt off factory floor. I've seen many that never made that, and many that made it like it was nothing. Its all about maintenance. Likewise, I've personally riden in a 7.3L with over 250K miles on it (it was a F350 wrecker pulling my broken down 98 Dodge (go head poke fun [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img])) Asked the guy about it, and he says that he hasn't done anything to it other than routine maintenance. That was a big eye opener for me and was a big influence in me getting a diesel.
ARE LSII Bed Lid
djp9747 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2005, 01:16 AM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (2)

Greetings,

05 went to 250k

Peace and Blessings

TimList.net

04/04 F250 XLT 4x4, 6.0, Auto, ESOF, 3.73, CC/SB, TrueBlue & Dark Flint cloth, Born 10/03
Macattak1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2005, 07:37 AM   #5 (permalink)
POS

Depends on how it was treated during its life. My '04 has 54k miles, purrs like a kitten, and flies down the highway everyday. I'd expect 200k very, very easily.
Old 07-11-2005, 11:54 AM   #6 (permalink)

I certainly expect more then 200k or 250k. I don't know what the 7.3 is rated for, but on my 99.5 I have 400k and it runs better then the day I bought it.

Granted I replaced the alternator and water pump, but the motor is very strong along with a few other minor things. 265k on the original transmission - would have gone longer if I didn't loan it to my dad; funny how I get it back from him and the tranny is shot. Still has original starter.

Maybe I just have high expectations, but I certainly would like to see this motor without a rebuild before I pay the note off.

Don't get me wrong I love the motor, I love the power I love the sound of the deeper grunt. For now I expect to at least match my 99, after all newer is better?

-Randy
rcdallas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2005, 12:23 PM   #7 (permalink)

I'm in complete agreement with you Randy. These new PSD's should get in excess of 300k or 400k if maintained well.

I have a close friend that hauls campers and 5th wheels interstate for a living. He has a 96 PSD and at the beginning of this year he turned 600k on his 7.3L. That was what inspired me to buy the new Ford to begin with. If mine doesn't last, especially with the way I'm anal about maintenance, I will be more than dissapointed.
Old 07-11-2005, 12:53 PM   #8 (permalink)

My Photos: (3)

I got 200000 out of my 300cu in six gasser, I better get alot more out of this 6.0. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

BE
Old 07-11-2005, 01:16 PM   #9 (permalink)

My Photos: (9)

Yup, maintanence is everything. I change my oil every 3,000 miles and my tranny fluid and fuel filters every 15,000. I've got 4 1/2 years to pay off my truck, I want it to at least last that long.
2004 F-250 XLT Crewcab in Dark Shadow Grey with a '04 6.0L Powerstroke born on 10/07/03 and everything on it except moonroof and FX4 pkg., has Bilstein shocks, Westin step bars, Issipro guages, Vision camper shell, Ford Gold remote starter, sirius satellite radio, Diamond and Xtreme amps powering 2 10" Diamond subs and a Kenwood excelon Navigation system. Towing a 2005 29' Keystone Outback 5vr with a Super Slide slide. My Truck
My Photo Gallery here at TDS
-----------------------------------------------
2000 Ford Taurus SE (My commuter) 24V Duratech engine, Auto with 6 disc Alpine changer, Interfire 250 watt amp, Orion 60 watt amp, and 1 12" Diamond subwoofer.
unchingono is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2005, 01:24 PM   #10 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
I got 200000 out of my 300cu in six gasser, I better get alot more out of this 6.0. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

BE

[/ QUOTE ]

Aint that the TRUTH [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img].

TasMan
2004/04 Engine,King Ranch,F-250,4x4,SWB,3.73 LS, Adjustable pedals,Reverse sensor,Moon roof,clearance lights, Power rear window,Heated seats,Bedliner, DPPI T-409 Turbo Back, AFE Pro-Guard7, C-Bet'r mirror, Fumoto drain valve, AIC, Extange Tonneu, Lund SS Interceptor, Siver Star Bulbs, Harpooned tank, SUV double wiring harness, Bright Box, Clifford RS 3.5 alarm, 3" Edge Plush Ride, Bilstein Shocks, Westin Sportsman CPS Grille Guard, XM Commander wired in with a PIE Adapter, Eagle 137 series rims and Bridgestone Revos 285/75-16, Husky Liner Mud Flaps.

http://community.webshots.com/user/tasman3721 UpDated 27 October 2005
Retired Chief Warrant Officer 4
tasman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2005, 01:57 PM   #11 (permalink)

These trucks are dropping like flies at under 36k, I wouldn't expect long life out of them without lots of money to keep them running.

Too extensive to list.

Days in shop so far 71 and counting as they still have it.

34K miles.

After spending a month in the shop and having it back only 2 weeks, it's back in the shop. Ford Customer service refused to send me a DSB Package. Told me the info is in the back of manual. Well truck is in shop and I don't have the info can you give it to me? No, it's in the manual.
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2005, 02:10 PM   #12 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
These trucks are dropping like flies at under 36k, I wouldn't expect long life out of them without lots of money to keep them running.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I don't get 250,000 to 350,000 miles, I will be disappointed. That is the main reason I spent the extra money for a diesel engine. The heads will get figured out in time, IMO. The weak point will be the electronics, again MO.

Good Luck to all

TasMan
2004/04 Engine,King Ranch,F-250,4x4,SWB,3.73 LS, Adjustable pedals,Reverse sensor,Moon roof,clearance lights, Power rear window,Heated seats,Bedliner, DPPI T-409 Turbo Back, AFE Pro-Guard7, C-Bet'r mirror, Fumoto drain valve, AIC, Extange Tonneu, Lund SS Interceptor, Siver Star Bulbs, Harpooned tank, SUV double wiring harness, Bright Box, Clifford RS 3.5 alarm, 3" Edge Plush Ride, Bilstein Shocks, Westin Sportsman CPS Grille Guard, XM Commander wired in with a PIE Adapter, Eagle 137 series rims and Bridgestone Revos 285/75-16, Husky Liner Mud Flaps.

http://community.webshots.com/user/tasman3721 UpDated 27 October 2005
Retired Chief Warrant Officer 4
tasman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2005, 07:04 PM   #13 (permalink)

I've got an '04 with over 30k and I plan on putting over 200k before I trade it in.

'84 CJ7,TBI I6, SM465, D300, 4.88's, D44/ARB front, 9"/Detroit rear, SOA, 37" MT/R's, OBA, HS9500i.

1MutCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2005, 07:44 PM   #14 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)

There are several life expectancy ratings, B10, B30, B50. If a manufacturer wants a high number they quote the B50, lower milage will result if they go with B10.
Don't quote me on the exact wording but the BXX refers to life expectancy with recommended maintenace that XX% will need a major repair. Major repair being cylinder head, rings, bearings, etc. i.e., repair requiring substantial disassembly.
Cummins 5.9 and the IH 6.0 both have the same rating when compared B number to B number if you dig around the respective engine makers' websites. Those numbers would reflect the commercial versions of those engines which are not exactly identical to the Ford and Dodge versions. Pickup versions are turned up to higher HP and Torque but will likely see much less high load use as compared to the same engine used in a MD truck running the detuned versions of the engines. So the higher output likely won't negatively impact lifespan compared to the commercial versions' ratings.
36 feet on the floor Elite/Outlaw LQ horse trailer.
36 foot double tandem axle flatbed trailer.
36 foot Sooner 6 horse large dressing/ mid tack.
2003 EB Expedition 141K
2004 Volvo V70R AWD-high miler in fleet, 205K
jimmy is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2005, 08:19 PM   #15 (permalink)

My Photos: (3)

I got a silly little question. People have been posting 6L oil analysis results showing 3 to 5% fuel in the oil at what appear to be normal or short change intervals. Is this an anomoly to those engines or is everyone's engine getting fuel in the oil ? If so, how do you expect your engine to last 250,000 miles ?

A month or so ago a guy posted his engine was shot due to cam lobe failue supposedly due to long oil change intervals. I never gave it any thought at the time, but if fuel is building up in the oil, long change intervals will be the death of these engines. High wear items such as cams will simply wear out from lubrication problems.

For comparison, fuel dilution on other engines is 0.5%.

One more thing. Removing heads, say for the sake of replacing head gaskets, constitutes a major operation on the engine. Me thinks the B10/B50 number IH quoted on the 6L was before they were actually shipping them, probably based on predictions. Me thinks the actual B10/B50 lifespans might be less than what they predicted.

Just a thought.
MackE7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.