6.0 power stroke reliable? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2009, 07:33 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.0 power stroke reliable?

I'm looking into buying a 06' F-350 with a 6.0 engine. I was wondering if there are any common problems or issues known to be accompanied with this engine.
Or if it's generally an all round good engine. This one in particular has 60,000KM on it.
Any and all help is appreciated.
Rushing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2009, 08:43 PM   #2 (permalink)

You'll hear a lot of bad and some good about them here. Mine has just over 100k miles and I love my truck. The only problems I've had was the egr needed cleaned once and one injector replaced.
Get an oasis report for the truck before you buy.
Old 02-02-2009, 08:55 PM   #3 (permalink)

Its a good engine. All of the big three have their paticular issues and the Ford is no exception. Headgaskets are the biggest. This happens when towing too heavy for too long, overboosting turbo due to stuck turbo veins, and aftermarket power enhancing programs. If you stay stock and drive the truck like its supposed to be driven it will serve you well. If you are getting it to make short trips or increase performance, it will give you problems.

Look at it like this.... the best of each truck:

GM: Trans - comfortable ride/suspension - decent motor
Ford: Trans - stout truck body and frame - quality interior - good auto trans
Dodge: Best diesel engine (prior to 08)

The worst of each truck:

GM: front suspension weak - smaller truck (beefed up 1/4 ton) - cheap interior components
Ford: least reliable engine (does not like extra power)
Dodge: Poor auto trans - poor body and interior components

Its a trade-off. Buy what you like.

2004 Surf Side 30' pull trailer

2002 Mustang GT

1968 Pontiac Firebird (restored)

Last edited by Smiley1; 02-02-2009 at 09:01 PM.
Smiley1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2009, 10:36 PM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (5)
i must agree with smiley... ithink thats a fair breakdown.
BUT the question you just asked can be dangerous!!!!!!this topic can become heated,be careful!!!!!!!the horrors ive seen,oh the horrors......just kidding
red elc good for 150k
4r100 1-2 2-3 3-4sonnax accumulator valves,.427 sonnax line pressure mod valve
4.125"yes thats 4 1/8" diy tymar intake(size matters...lol)
AIH delete,ccv delete,zoodad mod,
4" exhaust no muff
built my own leafs for 4.0 of lift!!!!!!
18" xd bronze revolvers with 325 nittos to wrap them
isspro pyro and boost guages on pillar mount....
tattoocharlie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2009, 09:12 AM   #5 (permalink)

I agree with Smiley1 too, with one exception: the old Dodge Automatic transmissions did suck big time, particularly the 47RE or 47RH...they were basically 727 Torq Flite three speeds with a very weak overdrive, but the newer transmissions aren't so bad.

I had a 2005 2500HD CTD with the 48RE and loved it. I did put a Mag-Hytec Double Deep pan on it and had gauges to monitor tranny temp, EGTs and Turbo psi....my tranny temps never got over 150, when I towed our 31' Airstream or our 27' steel horse trailer. I should have never gotten rid of that truck and kick myself everyday.

The newer Dodge 68RFE, IMO, is just as reliable as the Allison 1000, or the TorqShift 5R110; Allison has been in the tranny business for quite sometime now, and they have the reputation for quality, durability and reliability.

The 5.9 CTD was, and always will be (again, IMO), the best diesel engine built for pickups.

Dodge really shot themselves in the foot with this new 6.7, but I guess when it comes down to it, it's really the government's fault for all this EGR, DPF and catalytic converter crap.

Maybe if the 6.7 didn't have all that junk on it, it'd get good MPGs and be as reliable as its ancestor was, but I have a few friends who have been left stranded on the side of the road with their '08 pickups, because the DPF wasn't working right.

2004 F-350 CC DRW LB FX4 4x4
Oxford White/Arizona Beige
King Ranch
2012 Ford bed w/Factory Reese hitch option
4.10 TracLok
Reman'd 6.0L @43,956 miles
Reman'd Turbo @54,814 miles
HPOP @154,120 miles
Radiator, water pump, t-stat & hoses @168,520 miles
Dieselsite Coolant Filter
Fleetrite ELC
Blue Spring Update
River City Diesel EGR Delete
Gutted Cat
Strokin' 6.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2009, 12:39 AM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to jerms06diesel Send a message via Skype™ to jerms06diesel
Exclamation towing problem

i have a 06 f-250 with a 6.0 and i bought a 38' fifth wheel with a GVWR of 16,700 lbs would i b able to tow it thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiley1 View Post
Its a good engine. All of the big three have their paticular issues and the Ford is no exception. Headgaskets are the biggest. This happens when towing too heavy for too long, overboosting turbo due to stuck turbo veins, and aftermarket power enhancing programs. If you stay stock and drive the truck like its supposed to be driven it will serve you well. If you are getting it to make short trips or increase performance, it will give you problems.

Look at it like this.... the best of each truck:

GM: Trans - comfortable ride/suspension - decent motor
Ford: Trans - stout truck body and frame - quality interior - good auto trans
Dodge: Best diesel engine (prior to 08)

The worst of each truck:

GM: front suspension weak - smaller truck (beefed up 1/4 ton) - cheap interior components
Ford: least reliable engine (does not like extra power)
Dodge: Poor auto trans - poor body and interior components

Its a trade-off. Buy what you like.
jerms06diesel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2009, 09:05 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerms06diesel View Post
i have a 06 f-250 with a 6.0 and i bought a 38' fifth wheel with a GVWR of 16,700 lbs would i b able to tow it thanks
I don't think I'd try to tow that with my F350 dually. That trailer is going to manhandle your F250 with that kind of weight. The engine might be able to handle the load, but your frame, brakes and suspension will fail over time, and it's going to happen when you least want it to, ie: going downhill.

You might want to look into upgrading to at least an F350, if you're going to pull anything over 12,000 with a gooseneck/5th wheel. I would also look at getting an exhaust brake; they're lifesavers.

Good luck with your decision.

King Ranch
4.10 TracLok
HPOP @154,120 miles
Fleetrite ELC
Blue Spring Update
Gutted Cat
Old 02-06-2009, 09:15 AM   #8 (permalink)

I have an April build '03 that has been totally reliable. I only made two mod and that is a 4" turbo back exhause, with idea of reliability in mind, mainly to let turbo cool better, and a mag hytec transmission pan to add more tranny fluid. I almost forgot, an oilgaurd bypass oil filter, it's amazing how much extra crud that coil of cotton string filters out.

I do not tow,and generally baby it, no jackrabbit starts ect, fuel and drvetrain componets are too expensive to abuse. I drive daily to work, only abut 7 miles one way. Here in E Texas if temps are forecast below low 40's I plug in block heater on a timer, for a couple of hours so engine can get hot before I get to work, my idea being it will keep down condensation in crankcase .

Your best bet is to fnd out how truck was used and maintained. Get the VIN and have a dealer run an Oasis report of maybe some more knowledgeable members can tell how to access Ford's maintaince repair reports on the one you are looking at.
Old 02-07-2009, 10:21 AM   #9 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Alexvb22
Love the truck but in MY OPINION it is a Piece. I would get rid of it hands down if anyone offered me just 25G's for it.... I have had nothing but issues with my vehicle and it is almost guaranteed to be in the shop every month. Ford really did me in and I probably will never buy from them again. It’s in the shop right now actually for an alternator. Every experience I have had with the dealer has been a horrible one with the exception of a few visits to a newly found Mech. in Randallstown, MD. at Liberty Ford.

If you purchase the vehicle for anything other than a once weekly driver, prepare for injector failures, head-bolt issues (i.e.: very $$$ repair if not under warranty) and possible turbo issues (another common problem). These are all problems I and many others have had... With it being STOCK!

I suggest you buy a new vehicle so that you can reap all the great deals and have a long warranty because I feel that you will NEED this warranty.

Aside from all the complaining I needed to do about the truck at least it looks good on the side of the Road! And in ford's defense I did run a tuner on it and have run it with an aftermarket intake. So if thats enough to kill it then... its junk in my opinion. All tunes I have had are designed for a "stock" truck and the intake was not "supposed" to do anything but help.

Sorry, I don’t mean to scare you. But be wary of what you buy. Don't get me wrong, I do love the truck.. But flipping out $1600-1800 a mth in repair, maintenance, insurance, and loan bills is not what I call a good buy.

Alex

SCT Tuner w/ Custom tunes
AFE XP Stage 2 Intake Sys.
ARP Studs
Egr delete
Upgraded ficm 58volt
Dual Rear Straight Piped Exhaust
Bullet Proof Diesel Oil Cooler
6.4 Banjo Bolts

Looking for:
New HPOP..Stage 2 Fuel System..Injectors.. Fire Rings and ported heads-future...Industrial Injection Twin Turbos.. 380cc Injectors..Torque Converter..Ats Trans.. Stage 1 Cam.. Elbow- CFM+.. Coolent/Oil Bypass.. Circ. lines. Blow-off valve.. 8-12in. lift (rize) and Toyo 40in. M/T's

Last edited by RDG; 02-23-2009 at 07:05 PM. Reason: language
Alexvb22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2009, 11:29 AM   #10 (permalink)

87000 miles on mine including carrying the camper which puts me close to 11000 pounds. i'm known to put it to the mat passing uphill in the mountains, still have not been able to kill those headgaskets everyone says are so lame. most of the sensors failed at least once and egr several times, but the only part thats ever been off was the intake to clean out carbon. IMO the biggest cause of headgasket failure is too much throttle pedal before it warms up.excess cyl press is what kills them, the highest press spikes occur when the fuel ignition delay is greatest. this happens when the engine is still cool and greater quench is happening, you hear this as more cackle when stepping on gas pedal. bottom line best thing you can do for factory headgaskets is keep your foot out of it til gauge is all the way up. but don't waste time and fuel idleing, start it up put on seatbelt, set radio etc then back out of driveway and ease it up to 1500 for the first couple blocks then go from there
nitrogen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2009, 09:05 AM   #11 (permalink)

164k miles no problems...its a daily driver and i have towed once with it (10000lbs) I think its a good motor oh ya stock head gaskets.
285/75/16 BFG all terrain.
165k miles and no problems!!!
ALSO
1995 F-250 2wd xl 7.3 Powerstroke 5spd.
330k miles and a straigh exhaust. Sold and missed dearly.
blackwaterstroker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2009, 08:14 PM   #12 (permalink)

What would be the ideal modifications to improve overall reliablility of the 6.0?

Headstuds? Cometic 0-ring Headgasket (if they make them for the 6.0) maybe?
NavyF350 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2009, 08:23 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyF350 View Post
What would be the ideal modifications to improve overall reliablility of the 6.0?

Headstuds? Cometic 0-ring Headgasket (if they make them for the 6.0) maybe?
Yes, Headstuds are a great start and a few other things that we are not allowed to speak of hear.

I would not worry about headstuds unless they give. Many folks have run trucks with tunes well over 100k miles without issue. I would not say that it would be the norm.

2004 Surf Side 30' pull trailer

2002 Mustang GT

1968 Pontiac Firebird (restored)
Smiley1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2009, 09:07 AM   #14 (permalink)

If you're going to tune the truck, then head studs are good insurance, IMO.

Take this into consideration too: the IH VT-365 was originally built and programmed with 300hp/500lb/ft torque. I've never heard of a VT-365 with head gasket issues. Ford had IH tweak this engine to its limits, and tuning it past that without the proper modding is going to result in engine problems down the road.

Some folks will tell you that they are running tunes with no other mods with no problems. That's great, but I've found, in my years as an aviation mechanic, that no two engines are built the exact same; there are variences, and I'm not willing to turn my engine into a $15,000 paperweight. Your best bet is to do to this truck what you did to your '94.

King Ranch
4.10 TracLok
HPOP @154,120 miles
Fleetrite ELC
Blue Spring Update
Gutted Cat

Last edited by Strokin' 6.0; 02-17-2009 at 09:09 AM.
Old 02-19-2009, 11:47 AM   #15 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to indynotch50
If you want it to be a good reliable truck then just do your homework on it, check out the warranty history and keep it stock.
I wouldn't worry at all about head gaskets unless you're really going to start dumping some power into it. You will hear people here and there talking about head gasket issues but I've never seen in proof in numbers or in physical parts, just talk and hearsay.
Again as stated, all trucks have their pros and cons and all manufacturers have their issues. If you know what you're doing these are pretty easy to work on too.
Realize also a lot of people are on here because they have problems. Most are enthusiasts, but the loudest are enthusiasts that have issues.
Do your homework, be smart, keep it stock, and enjoy.
indynotch50 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.