6.0 PowerStroke Motors The Good, The Bad, The Ugly - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2005, 09:25 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.0 PowerStroke Motors The Good, The Bad, The Ugly

OK, where do I start?

I dont post a lot on this forum, but I have been a part of it for a very long time. I had one of the first 500 posts on this forum and I was one of the very first people to give Jason $20 to upgrade his server when this web page was just getting off the ground. This is not a troll, it is a serious request for some honest answers.

I have owned two 7.3 Powerstrokes; a 1996 SRW and our current truck a 2001 SRW. The first truck was a very good truck until I sold it to buy the second truck which has been almost perfect for the 95,000 miles Ive driven it.

I have found myself in a dilemma. I now need a dually. I would be happy to buy another Ford, but I have read so many bad things about the 6.0 PS, that I find myself unable to pull the trigger on buying one. I am seriously considering a V-10 gasser, though I dont want one. I am seriously considering a Chevy/Dmax or Dodge/Cummins, but I would really rather have a SuperDuty.

I guess my question is: How bad are the 2006 PowerStrokes? What are my odds of getting a good one vs getting a bad one. I know there are probably a lot more goods ones than bad ones, but the problems I read about are very serious. I can live with bad CPSs, belt tensioners, glowplug relays, etc. I cant live with blown head gaskets, melted pistons, Ford buy backs, stuck vales, broken rocker arms, replacement motors, seeming endless trips back to the dealer for reflashes. Our local Ford dealer has so many 6.0s in for warranty work and recalls that it now takes me 2 weeks to get scheduled for service when it used to take only 1 day.

I keep hearing that the problem 6.0 motors were the first ones (2003 or 2004?). But when I start reading about them, I read about all kinds of serious problems with the 2005s. I know how forums work, most of the folks that post are the people with problems. But there just seems to be so many serious problems that I dont know whether I should buy one, buy a V-10, Chevy or Dodge, or try to wait on the 6.4, or look for a used 7.3 (but I dont want a used truck).

I am totally lost on making this decision. I know it sounds like a troll, but it is not. I really need some help or guidance, but I just dont know if there is any help for me. I have really enjoyed running PS turbo diesels for the last 10 years, but I have a very bad feeling that Im about have a gas sucking V-10 in my driveway.

Brad
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2005, 09:54 PM   #2 (permalink)

Re: 6.0 PowerStroke Motors The Good, The Bad, The Ugly

Sounds like you answered your own question. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-28-2005, 09:55 PM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to ritschner

I know how you feel. Been there myself, and wanted to keep the old truck, but the wife actually wanted a crew cab, so who was I to argue. So far I like the new truck, the seats are more comfortable, it has more room, it has more under cab insulation, it is quieter, it has a much higher tow rating, and it will out pull the old truck. The upfitter switches (a must) and built in idle control are great. But there are some things I miss. The new trucks do not come with dual sun visors, hood insulators, and glove box lights. If you floor the 7.3 it throttles right up and then builds power with boost, the 6.0 hesitates for a couple of seconds, while the VVT builds boost, and then just explodes. I am generally a row-your-own person, but I like the 5-speed auto. Most people I know have had only minor problems, so I believe the odds are in your favor, especially if you get an 06. Then there is always that saying about the smell of a new vehicle, plus a new warranty. So take a test drive or for that matter several and see how you feel.
White 06 F350 Lariet CC 2WD DRW Tow Boss, Timbren SES, Bilsteins, Smiths Ultimate Bedliner, RK Tool Box, CondensorGuard, IntakeMod, S&B Intake, SEIC, Banks 4"TB, Accufab, Edge Attitude CS, Blue Spring Mod, Rebuilt FICM, STC and Standpipe update, Harpoon Mod, Coolant Filter, Glove Box Light, Hood Insulator, Rewired Mirror Heat, Seat Heater Indicator.
ritschner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2005, 10:43 PM   #4 (permalink)

My 6.0 has been virtually flawless.

But, if you can hold out for the 6.4. Do so. All signs show it will be a non variable vane twin turbo and is being well tested. Likely with more power / torque. Test trucks are reportedly in AZ at the proving grounds as we speak.

I doubt Ford will let the 6.4 get away from them like they did the 6.0
Old 10-29-2005, 09:10 AM   #5 (permalink)

Hello, i am new to the forum but recently purchased an 06 psd with a 6 speed. truck runs great however, It now has 4200 miles on it and is looking to go to the shop for the 4th time. Stupid problems. First was the exaust manifold gaskets were defective, second the egr valve went. Now i got it back and i went from 19-20.6 mpg to 15-16. The first trip in was to evaluate the problems and they ordered the gaskets. My dealer has been super about the repairs but, seems like one thing is fixed something else goes bad. This is my first psd and is looking like my last if it doesn't improve. I am seriously thinking of going back to the gas chevy like i traded in. I buy a truck to use and i drive it to work also. We tow and haul alot and it has really been a pain in the ass running it in and driving waiting for them to be able to work on it. Seems as the ford dodge and chevy diesels all have issues. Depends on who you talk to. Overall i have been very disappointed and called ford last week and told them the same. gl with your truck shopping.
pofarmboy2002 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2005, 09:11 AM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to DieselDon54

I was in the same situation as you are about a year ago. After all my research I went with the Ford. It has been a good truck so far (only 6,500 miles). Only minor issues. The biggest problem is the dealers, many of them are way understaffed, undertrained and undermotivated to properly service the large quanity of diesel trucks they are selling. Even for the most minor issues they want me to schedule a month in advance and then they expect me to leave it for a week or more! That sucks!
But overall I'd say the new Ford diesel trucks are pretty good vehicles. They are definately the best looking (dodge just keeps getting uglier and uglier but they have the best engine).
If I had to make a choice today, I'd probaby go with the new GMC with the new 360HP DMax & 6 spd auto trans. Hard to beat a combo like that.
The good news is that all three brands are making very good trucks right now so I'd doubt you'd be unhappy with any of them. However, any vehicle you buy could have problems. Just roll the dice and pick the one you like best. Good Luck.
Old 10-29-2005, 09:18 AM   #7 (permalink)

My Photos: (16)
Re: 6.0 Power Stroke Motors The Good, The Bad, The Ugly

My 6.0 is one first 05's off the Assembly line. It has been flawless so far. I think if you dismissed all of the problems related to modifications and then dismiss all of the poorly trained service dept blunders, you will find the new 6.0's to be reliable.
IMHO you can significantly increase your odds of getting a "good one" by ordering your truck. Think of all the post you read, about some guy taking a brand new truck for a test ride. An unbroken in ,cold engine being driven like the guy just stole it. I am sure that works wonders on the oil and head gaskets [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/vomit.gif[/img]
2005 F250 6.0 PSD CC Auto, Dk toreador red/Ariz beige,Lariat Luxury 4x4 SB,TT Mirrors,Camper PKG,Roof lights,ADJ pedals,REV aid,Trailer hitch,TOW COMMAND,ESOF,PWR rear window,3.73 posi,SIRIUS SAT radio. Built 08/09/04
2005 F250 SIRUS RADIO

2002 BUYBACK bad paint F250 7.3 PSD Auto CC Lariat 4x4 SB, TT mirrors,Camper pkg,Grille insert,Hood shield,Tow pkg,Adj pedals,Shift on fly,Trailer brake,Spray in bedliner,Dk highland green w/tan.
2002 F250
south_paw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2005, 10:32 AM   #8 (permalink)

I've got 10,000 on my 06. Never been back to the dealer. Nice powertrain except for the lame, vague, sloppy cruise control. Hook 15K behind it though and it puts a smile on my face everytime. I'm getting 16.5 to 17.7 in everyday mixed driving. Once I got 20.07 sticking to 8-10mph over the limit on a trip. Mine is still stock but an SCT tuner is in the very near future. My biggest irritation except for the aforementioned cruise control is the slow steering and bouncing-jouncing ride around town. It sure ain't no 150. But on the highway its great.
Old 10-29-2005, 10:42 AM   #9 (permalink)

Bradly7

Like yourself I have been around since mid 99. I had to re-register during one of those server up-grades.

If I were to buy now I would be looking at a DuraMax, not that I don't like the ford truck (I think it is the best), but the power plant is another subject. I no longer trust mine, with only 39K miles on it. It seems as if every time I take it on a trip it goes back in the shop for something.

As far as buying a 6.4 I will never buy anything again till it has been tested by other for several years. My 03 was an early build that had the agressive T/H, quiet idle (pilot injection) neither of which I have anymore. But both of which were major selling points, and part of what I paid for. But now I have neither, with no hope of getting either back.

I am not trying to bash Ford here I just think GM is making a better product (more dependable) at this time. I also know you are looking at an 06 not an 03 like mine, but like you said, I don't see anything great happening with the new ones. JMOHO for what it's worth. Best of luck with whatever you buy. Just remember "real trucks don't have spark plugs" [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
2003.25 6.0, Born 2/03, 5R110W, XLT Dually Super Cab 4X4, 4:10LS, AIC, full set of gauges, Line-X Bedliner, Full MBRP exhaust, New turbo 5/3/05, 6 injectors (1,2,3,4,5,7,) 12/29/05, Inductive flash 3/8/07, .
2004 Titanium 5th 28E33, 2 Honda EU-2000's.
TC88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2005, 11:29 AM   #10 (permalink)

I get bummed out sometimes on all the problems people are having with there brand new trucks, it should never be that way, I bought a 04 because alot of people in my neighbor have 6.0 ps. I asked about every question I could think of on how they were, if they were realiable or not. I never got back one negative comment. So I bought mine, because I have had so much bad luck with chevy. Anyway, I now have 25,000 miles on my truck, and the only thing that has went out is my tow haul button. everything else runs awesome, I have a sct tuner on a 90 tune, I tow about 10,000 pounds on a regular basis, on a 50 tune. and when i'm in glamis, I cruise it through the dunes, and I do harp on it quite a bit. With all that being said, I keep the oil changed regularly, and I don't abuse it, I just use it. So knock on wood, it's running great. I hope I don't get any of these problems, with all the bad things happening that I'm hearing, I just wanted to say there are other owners out there that are extremely happy with there trucks.

Hoss
4.5 Donahoe,KMC 18's on 35 inch Toyo M/T's,4:30 gears,SCT xcal 2 w/X treme tunes from innovative Diesel,MBRP 4 inch turbo back,AFE stage 2.
When you see my blinker, I'm not asking..I'm just letting you know!
Hosss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2005, 11:41 AM   #11 (permalink)

My Photos: (22)

Before you pull the trigger and buy a V-10, check and see if they have resolved the problems with that engine. When I first started looking at a new truck back in 2002, I was going to buy a V-10 Super Duty, but really wanted a diesel. Back then the Triton V-10 and some V-8s had a nasty habit of spitting out a spark plug after the engine had 30K to 40K miles on it. The theory was galling of the spark plug hole threads during the machining process. After I found out I could get X-plan pricing thought the company I was working for at the time, I went for the diesel and never looked back. Is the 2006 V-10 the new 3V (three valve) design like the V-8s now?

Oh, by the way, I have an early model 2003 6.0L (engine build date of Jan 03) and the only time I had to take it in for engine work was the ICP recall and recently for the blackmail recall (Cal DMV: get it reflashed or you don't get any new tags). Engine and transmission have been perfect to date. Guess I got one of the good ones. Good luck with your decision.
Born on date: Jan 20, 2003
Number of reflashes done: 2 (05E15 Jan 8, 2007)
Number of C94 injectors replaced: 0
Number of times the EGR valve has been replaced/cleaned: 0 (updated: 4/15/2010)

The United States Constitution 1791, All Right Reserved.
hitecdan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2005, 12:20 PM   #12 (permalink)

This goes back as long as trucks have been made. I bet if you look through the Chevy and Dodge forums you'll see the same thing. Usually only the people who have problems are making the most noise because they're upset and rightly so. But there are still thousands of 6.0 owners who haven't had any problems and love their trucks. I have an early build 03 and it has been absolutely perfect. I love driving that thing regardless of the high price of diesel right now. I love that truck, I don't regret buying it and I'm sure there are many out there who feel the same way. We see alot of the bad and the ugly on the forum and that's part of why it's here. But we need more of the good so here's one more good. Ford built me a great truck and I'd by another one anyday.
Old 10-29-2005, 01:50 PM   #13 (permalink)

My Photos: (5)

I guess the original poster did ask for good opinions of the 6.0L Powerstroke as well as the bad and ugly.

But the occasional times I stop in to see how the 6.0L is doing, I am reading entirely new members with some of the recurring problems that I have been reading about for the last three years. I don't think Ford or its dealers have a handle on this platform's problems yet. For my everyday driving my poor old gasser is fine. I was thinking that if I decide to hit the road, I sure as heck don't want to be stuck out in the middle of nowhere with problems like I read here.

I've seen the guys on here who have bad mouthed this product for months on end and I am now seeing the guys on here who keep saying they have little or no problems for years on end. Usually, the new members who have a partcular problem move on when they get it fixed.

I know I'm still shopping around and reading the problem stuff and wondering if I'll ever make the move. The guys with the great trucks still haven't convinced me yet. I have read too many "well it finally happened to me" posts.

I have to admit I have friends who have the 6.0L and so far so good for them, but thats a small group of guys. One guy did have anjector problem though. Last time I read an International problem report, they were saying 1 out of 10 were having problems. Maybe the odds are better now.

kude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2005, 02:29 PM   #14 (permalink)

Here's my opinion:
99 Dodge w/24 valve Cummins, 5 speed, only minor problems, throttle position sensor, etc. Sold it in 2002 with 38,000 miles, needed a crew cab, this was my first diesel.
02 Ford 7.3 PSD, auto. Also only minor problems, alternator,etc. Great truck sold it in August with 24,000 miles, wanted a 6.0 because my wifes 03 Excursion is a 6.0 and I like it better than the 7.3. Hers is the dreaded 03, no problems except for alternator, romps (had it flashed) and an egr. Other than that it's all stock and great. My new F-350 in my sig will go before the Ex will. Now here goes. I drive a 2004 Chevy DMax everyday, it's my work truck. I drive it 200 miles a day, the gvw is 11400 I think, I weighed it a Flying J, 12400 lbs every day of it's life. The truck has 36500 miles on it. It has been in the dealer for electrical problems several times, speedometer, fuel gauge 3 times, check engine light, thats it. In my opinion, aside from little things, all three are pretty equal. I had Diesel Dynamics do my Dodge, Edge box, injectors, no failures. I had a TS Performance 6 position in my 02, no failures, 03 Ex and Dmax are stock. I think as long as you take care of your rig, dont abuse it they are all pretty good, they all have some bad ones, Get the one that has all the things and room inside you want and need. 06 Crew Cab 6.0 was perfect for me! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

2003 6.0 Excursion XLT, 4" Pro Comp, 315 Nitto Terra Grapplers on AE 16x10 111's, gauges, all stock.
RamStud1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2005, 04:06 PM   #15 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
I guess the original poster did ask for good opinions of the 6.0L Powerstroke as well as the bad and ugly.

[/ QUOTE ]
Absolutely I would like to here from folks that have the good motors. I would actually LIKE to buy an 06 PowerStroke, but I have so many doubts about the motor that I am just real hesitant to order one.

One of the things that is really bothering me is that our new truck will primarily be used for out of town trips. Lots of 200 300 miles trips, a couple 1,000 1,500 mile trips and a 4,000 6000 miles trip each year. If we have a problem, it is likely that we will be a long way from home.

Another thing that really bothers me is that I read lots of folks with low mileage trucks with very good reliability records. But, no problems in 12,000 or 18,000 miles should be the case with every truck. Where are the folks with 80,000 or 100,000 miles on their 6.0s? I know they are fairly new motors, but there are lots of folks around driving 30k or 40k miles per year.

Anyway, I appreciate the honest answers. I still dont know what Im going to do. Last week I had decided to just go ahead a order a 6.0 Supercab 4X4 LB and hope I got a good motor, take it easy on it, do the proper maintenance and no motor mods. But then I come to this forum and start reading about rocker arms breaking because valves are sticking on motors that are not run every day or two. Well, that is an exact description of how our new truck will be used. It will sometimes be driven every day, but many times it will sit in our driveway for 2 or 3 weeks. I luv the Internet and this forum, but it does tend to complicate things.

Thanks again for the posts, there were A LOT of very good insights in them.

Brad
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.