6.0 PowerStroke Motors The Good, The Bad, The Ugly - Page 2 - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2005, 05:05 PM   #16 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Re: 6.0 PowerStroke Motors The Good, The Bad, The Ugly

It seems that at least some of the problems reported here are self inflicted with tuners and racing.

I've got about 29k miles 85% towing on mine and never had a problem. I drive it hard when the need arises and don't baby it any time. I don't hesitate to hook up a trailer and head into the mountains without fear of breaking down some logging road with a 10% grade at 11,000 feet.

13,000 miles to Alaska and back last year with an 8,000# travel trailer - hundreds of miles from a Ford dealer nearly all the time. Not even a hic-up except for the idiot that t-boned me in the right side in Kenai and then I drove it 5,000 miles home to get the body work done.

I believe it's like my long time transmission Tech told me! Most of the problems are caused by the driver.

Drive like you paid $40k for it out of your own pocket, service it properly, enjoy your new ride and most of all use it for what it was built for.
2004 SunnyBrook Solanta 28' TT small slide 7800#

35 Years in the trenches!
Retired Machinist & Manufacturing Engineer for fuel control systems for very large Diesel Engines. Locomotives to Super Tankers.

Designed and trouble shot manufacturing processes for stuff from Design Engineers. Sometimes had to wrestle for design changes.
Designed and built tools and equipment to machine, assemble, disassemble, repair and test.

Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.
"Nothing is FOOLPROOF because fools are too ingenious"-Mark Twain
johnmart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2005, 05:37 PM   #17 (permalink)

Brad,
I've been lurking on this site for over a year with the anticipation of buying an F350 diesel. From what I've been reading here & on other sites, I wouldn't go near a 6.0. If I were to buy right now, I'd go for the V10. The guys on that forum love their trucks. But I don't tow that much so the gas problem wouldn't be too bad for me. If I had to tow more & needed a diesel, I'd opt for the new LBZ duramax with the 6 speed allison. I'm waiting for the new 6.4 to come out as I really prefer the Ford. I have a 93 F250 gasser that has never let me down, but the miles are getting up there. If there is no improvement with the 6.4, I'll either go for the v10 or the Duramax. Dodge is out of the question as I had a D300 back in '79 that was the worse vehicle I've ever owned. Burnt once, shy twice. Best of luck. Jack
jdownward is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2005, 06:04 PM   #18 (permalink)

Ive got a (check sig) that ive been running str8 pipe and multiple differnt tuners since new. Im up to 26,000 and so far been to the dealer once for a small oil leak. While it was there they updated one of my intercooler tubes from plastic to metal. Otherwise its been great and dont get me wrong I dont baby this truck what so ever. Im 19, live on a farm, pull heavily loaded goosenecks all over the country as well as well as take the truck to the track

The honest truth is you have a "chance" of having "serious" problems with any one of them, so I would just pick the one that is most comfortable and appealing.

good luck
2012 F-350 KR 6.7, CCSB 4x4, Carli 4.5" Pin Top 2.5, prog leaf packs, 1" blocks, long travel airbags, AirLift WirelessAir, 5gal OBA, Amp steps, B&W Hitch, BakFlip F1, Kenwood DNX-9990, JL 700/5, BA Comp, 2-PGold 10", Rigid Ind 20" light bar, 295/65-20 Toyo M/Ts on OEM wheels.

Sold - 2005 F-250 Lariat 6.0 Crew, SB, 6 Speed, 4x4, Wedgewood/Tan
2008 Hydra-Sport 23 Bay Bolt w/ Etec 250
2003 Sonic Blue Cobra 666rwhp 600rwtq,
1997 Jeep Wrangler B3.3T Cummins, NSG370 6 speed, Ford 8.8 rear, Dana 44 front, 37x12.50 PitBull Rockers
ViperKiller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2005, 07:38 PM   #19 (permalink)

I've got an 05 6.0 that has over 25,000 miles with no problems and a 06 6.0 with 8,500 miles with no problems!!
---07 Shelby GT500--- Performance White Vert-- Mods-- JLT Intake, 2.6" upper & 10% IW Lower Pulleys, AFCO Duel Pass Heat Ext., American Racing Long Tube Headders, Full 3" Magnaflow Exhaust, Evolution Stage 4 Tune, BMR Carbon Fiber Drive Shaft, Steeda UCA & LCAs Currie 9" 1:3:75s True-Trac locker, Proglass Cold Air Hood, 36,500 miles---11.491 1/4 mile! 592RWHP
mobeydick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2005, 08:35 PM   #20 (permalink)

If you are concerned with the 6.0L, just get the Dodge with the Cummins.

It's only a truck. You can change your mind down the road if you don't like it.
2003 Ford Explorer XLT 4.0L V-6 5-spd auto 4wd 3.55
NRA Life member
Wobblin-Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2005, 09:09 PM   #21 (permalink)

i have 35900 0n my 2003 excurion 6.o no problems.ive been around diesels long enough to know that most problems are caused by new owners who dont understand that this isnt like thier old gasser.they7 start it up and drive it w/o a warm up and idle it for long periods for a/c and heat and when they reach destination they shut it off w/o letting egts lower.i bought my 6.0 because i couldnt bring myself to buy a dodge even with that awesome cummins.the chevy wasnt even an after thought as the dmax is built by izuzu(spelling?).so even being a big cummins fan im still perfectly happy with my 6.0. but if your looking to modify the heck out of it just buy a cummins.
New ride 1995 FRTLNR FLD120 Reman DD12.7 470hp,13spd,3.08 rears.Yeah I know,all the DD bashing I've done and I go and buy one.With the reman in it for $14,750 my mechanic said if I didn't buyit he would.
4 SALE 1993 FRTLNR coe N14 460hp,13spd,single axle,all aluminum wheels.
claytonr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2005, 09:56 PM   #22 (permalink)

I've got a 06 replacement for my lemon 2003.

Current problems.

Doors not aligned.
poor welds in bed
Fumes in cab.
Drone at 2k
Turbo rattles under boost, can be heard all the way through exhaust.
Oil leak, AGAIN.
Shimmy at 65 mps
Driveline shutter.

4 of these there are already TSB's on them.

Next truck will be a Dodge or GMC.

Too extensive to list.

Days in shop so far 71 and counting as they still have it.

34K miles.

After spending a month in the shop and having it back only 2 weeks, it's back in the shop. Ford Customer service refused to send me a DSB Package. Told me the info is in the back of manual. Well truck is in shop and I don't have the info can you give it to me? No, it's in the manual.
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2005, 10:15 PM   #23 (permalink)

My Photos: (27)

How are the doors not aligned? Do you have some pics cause I'd really like to see the doors out of alignment! Also I'd like to see the poor welds on the bed. I've been all over my truck, especially the bed when I installed the stacks and I didn't notice anything rusted or poorly welded. I'm not sure about the drone cause I listen to the radio. Even with the stacks the truck is very quiet. Never hear any rattles either! No shimmy, no shakes. I just find it hard to believe that you're so lucky to have picked out to piss poor trucks and I can get two 6.0's from 2 different sides of the U.S. and have no problems whatsoever! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img]
POWDER COATED CAC TUBES
PROJECT TRUCK 85 F250 4X4 6.9 6.0 IN IRAQ
superf350 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2005, 10:32 PM   #24 (permalink)
jdk

I'd like to see those poor welds and misaligned doors too. Sounds like you might be stressing a little too much over build quality on a mass produced truck.
04 HP twin turbo Cobra - sold

Current:
06 F-250 PowerStroke Diesel 4x4 Lariat [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
jdk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2005, 11:06 PM   #25 (permalink)

Here is my 2 cents on the 6.0 s. i worked with a guy for 18 months that had a 03 CC DRW 4x4 auto , he tows a enclosed car trailer on weekends and drove it everyday working as a electrian..ONLY problem that I know of was a pinion seal , truck had about 40K last I knew. Also my brother has a 05 DRW CC 4x4 , not sure what would make him get rid of it LOVES it , traded a 02 7.3 CC4x4 DRW for it ..liked that truck too , but doesn't regret the trade at all.
1995 f250 XL Ext Cab 4x4, auto ,3.55 gears , 317,000 miles , K&N filter , muffler Deleted ,Shimmed FPR, hypertech chip (a basic older one of unknown power) ,boost guage , small amount of leaf spring work done rest of is stock , steel wheels with hub caps , carpet delete. My old user name was Daveuz , UPDATE AS OF 11/05 new starter new waterpump LEFT ENGINE FAN OFF, new IPR new CPS replaced injector drive (used) all new under the cover harnessess and GPs and all this and my stalling problem was fixed by replacing the PCM , which I had DP Tuner flash in the 80hp econo. 12/28/05 cleaned the Cat Box UPDATE 12/06 334,000K NEW NEW NEW 11/06 1997 xlt CC LB 4x4 all white with a with topper. 285K all stock.
daveUza is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2005, 11:07 PM   #26 (permalink)

My Photos: (3)

not to get this thing too far off topic, but my drivers door would only shut with a lot of force behin it when I first got my truck. loosened up the hinges, set it straight and never looked back. as far as engine problems, I have had about every one of them. multiple egr's, cam sensor a couple of times, a few other sensors, a turbo, and three egr coolers. and now a new engine is being put in and should be back next week. oh yeah, about 38k miles. a lot of towing, nothing real extreme like going across country, just pull my boat a lot and tow two different trailers for work. I still like my truck, but with the new engine I hoping to stay out of the dealership service circle for a while.
04 6.0, volant intake, 4 inch exhaust, NOR-CAL TRUCKS custom 13 inch lift, GOLDENFOX CUSTOMS interior-dark gray suede insets with light gray leather, GOLDENFOX CUSTOMS paint-two tone candy with stripe, NO BADGES, KAR TUNZ custom stereo, 20 inch chrome weld commandos with 40" toyo's, 4:56 gears, and some fast stuff by DJ
goldenfox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2005, 06:59 AM   #27 (permalink)
POS

My '04 6.0 has been great - no major issues.

But you're down to bite the bullet time. You have to stop analyzing the good, the bad, and the ugly, use that information you've gained and make a decision and go with it.

Otherwise, you're facing paralysis by analysis.
Old 10-30-2005, 08:19 AM   #28 (permalink)

Truckdriver

I agree and disagree with you all at the same time. I am sure that new diesel owners can account for some of the problems. But, in my case I maintance the heck out of my truck always warm it up a couple of minutes then drive easy till fully warm. Also, I always cool it down properly using an EGT gauge before shut down (I use my truck for towing mostly). LOF every 4K miles and I still lost a turbo. I have had several diesels and this one does not give me a warm fuzzy feeling. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img]

P.S. I also drive a big rig so diesels are not new in my case.
2003.25 6.0, Born 2/03, 5R110W, XLT Dually Super Cab 4X4, 4:10LS, AIC, full set of gauges, Line-X Bedliner, Full MBRP exhaust, New turbo 5/3/05, 6 injectors (1,2,3,4,5,7,) 12/29/05, Inductive flash 3/8/07, .
2004 Titanium 5th 28E33, 2 Honda EU-2000's.
TC88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2005, 09:08 AM   #29 (permalink)

Exclude all the 6.0's with aftermarket power tune problem.

You'll come down to one chronic but manageable problem: EGR sooting: Run Diesel Kleen in every tank and carry a spare, you'll have that one largely solved.

One Rare problem - Turbo vanes sticking: FMC will replace your turbo and International has a turbo reconditioning procedure.

Honestly if you read ALL the posts, most problems are either minor, plain bad trucks, or from tuners. Even the tuners are programmed better in 2005, so there is much less chance of blowup even with a tuner now.

The 6.0 is like a great looking high-maintenance chick with a good heart - addicting!
Clevelandjim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2005, 09:28 AM   #30 (permalink)

I never let mine warn up or cool down! I don't wait on the glow plus or do any of the other "good" things you should do. All I do is change the oil to the proper amout 15 Quarts every 10,000 miles and let her rip. I've never had a problem!!

I don't have and I don't need a programmer!! Programmers are the biggest problem with almost all the 6.0 problems!!
---07 Shelby GT500--- Performance White Vert-- Mods-- JLT Intake, 2.6" upper & 10% IW Lower Pulleys, AFCO Duel Pass Heat Ext., American Racing Long Tube Headders, Full 3" Magnaflow Exhaust, Evolution Stage 4 Tune, BMR Carbon Fiber Drive Shaft, Steeda UCA & LCAs Currie 9" 1:3:75s True-Trac locker, Proglass Cold Air Hood, 36,500 miles---11.491 1/4 mile! 592RWHP
mobeydick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.