The Diesel Stop banner

6.0 powerstroke runs rough after starting

9K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  mdmasters 
#1 ·
I have a 2005 6.0 powerstroke dually that runs rough after starting and pumps white smoke out of tailpipe until engine comes up to temperature. Ususally take 10 minutes. Does anybody have any ideas as to how to fix this. It is worse in cold weather, but does it any time the engine temperature drops after sitting overnight. If I plug in the block heater, the rough idle and white smoke go away more quickly. We live in Angleton, Texas so it's not real cold on the gulf coast. I'm not familiar with the term "reflash" which I have seen on other posts.

#2 ·
A year or so back ford released a new software update for the computer. The software (flash update or reflash) actually sends power to the injectors to warm then up (while you are waiting for the glowplugs to warm up) then once you start the truck the injectors are less likely to stick (stiction) and operate normally. The complaint for the flash is a rolling or rough idle, white smoke at start up and hard starting. You appear to have two of those. You may consider spending the $100 or so dollars and have it flashed to the induction flash. It likely will solve you cold running issues. Do a search for "induction flash" to read more. If by chance you are still under the 3/36 warranty it will not cost anything but if not then it will cost 1hr of shop time which is generally ~$100. Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.