6.0 Puking Antifreeze - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2007, 11:52 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.0 Puking Antifreeze

I'm new to the site but have found it very helpful. I have a 2006, F-250. I had a banks 6 gun with a speed loader, 5 in exhaust no cc or muffler. I tow a 37' CC fishing boat, loaded with fuel, ice etc...I am pushing 14-15,000 lbs. Had check engine temp light come on while towing with banks turned all the way down to level one, emptied the antifreeze resevoir, out the top. I thought I had blown the head gasket, but no smoke out the back. Unhooked the boat and had it towed to Ford dealer. The checked it out, asked if I "had" a chip in the truck (I had it removed prior to going to the dealership), said they drove it could find nothing wrong. It has since been puking small amounts of antifreeze but there is plenty left. Was it overfilled or does it need to go back. Truck runs fine, no overheating etc...but worried about the next tow. Thanks for your help.
Outnumbered is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2007, 12:57 PM   #2 (permalink)

Re: 6.0 Puking Antifreeze

You need to take it in and have it pressure tested.

I was losing coolant out of the degas container, nothing out of the tailpipe, no smoke, etc. I had blown head gaskets and warped heads. My gauge shot up to 'H' because my coolant was down by 1.5 gal.

Order some head studs
TXGooseneck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2007, 01:59 PM   #3 (permalink)

TAKE IT TO THE DEALERSHIP. SIMILAR PROBLEM, RIDING DOWN THE HIGHWAY AND I COULD SMELL ANTIFREEZE, THE OVERFLOW WAS LEAKING A LIL. THEN I GOT UNDER AND LOOKED AND THE ENGINE LOOKED LIKE I SPRAYED OIL ALL OVER IT ON DRIVER'S SIDE. IT WAS SOAKED, BUT NO PUDDLING ON THE GROUND OR BLOW BACK. TOOK IT TO DEALSHIP, 9 DAYS LATER THEY ARE STILL FIXING HEADGASKETS...HAS ABOUT 69,000MILES
SAY YOUR PRAYERS,
RED

93 Jeep Cherokee, 32's on 16's, MUD ONLY

01 KTM 520sx, when I have time...
TURBORED is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2007, 02:56 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the input guys, i thought it needed to go back to the dealership but wanted some other opinions.... Txgooseneck: the dealership is telling me they will only use "stock" head studs, should i push for aftermarket?
Old 10-25-2007, 04:01 PM   #5 (permalink)

Just my opinion, I would go to another dealer and have the studs installed. If a dealer installs head studs, they will no longer warranty head gaskets, because of the aftermarket studs. But if you have properly installed head studs, you should not have to worry with head gasket trouble again.

How many miles are on the truck?

Brian
Old 10-25-2007, 06:26 PM   #6 (permalink)

WELL, LET ME THROW ANOTHER TWIST IN THAT. I JUST SPOKE WITH A SERVICE REP AT MY DEALER. HE SAYS HE WOULD NOT SEE A PROBLEM IF I GOT THE ARP STUDS AND HAD THEM DO THE WORK. AND THEN CONTINUE TO COME BACK TO THAT DEALERSHIP WHERE THE SAME MECHANIC IS. SO, TOMORROW i AM GOING TO GO IN THERE AND TALK WITH THE SERV REP., HIS BOSS, AND ANYONE ELSE I CAN GET RELIABLE INFO FROM. THEN, I'M GOING TO GO OVER TO THE FINANCE AND FIND OUT ABOUT THE 200,000 MILES EXTENDED WARRANTY. I'LL REPLY TOMORROW AFTER I FIGURE OUT WHAT OCCURS.
KEEPIN IT REAL...
RED

93 Jeep Cherokee, 32's on 16's, MUD ONLY

01 KTM 520sx, when I have time...
TURBORED is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2007, 06:43 PM   #7 (permalink)

mine was in for 5 months and never got fixed. i finally gave it back the way it was as it was leased.
bigwhite1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2007, 08:06 PM   #8 (permalink)

Deezle_Dog, it has 44,000 miles. I have tried two dealships, but it sounds like I need to either talk to someone higher up or go to yet another dealer. It sounds like if the cannot duplicate the problem then the pressure test is needed. I know the owner of one of the dealerships and did not want to drag him in but it seems as if I need to. I will let you know what happens, I will try to go to the dealer tomorrow. Thanks for the input guys....does anyone keep the antifreeze level below the minimum level or heard of that as a recommendation? What about welding off the "sneak" pipe or valve? (not sure if that is the right name for the part).
Old 10-25-2007, 09:00 PM   #9 (permalink)
OT

My Photos: (8)

Some info. scroll down http://www.intellidog.com/dieselmann/60bulletin.htm

Mine never puked even when h.g. was leaking. Water leak was slow drip, but suspect full blown h.g. mighta caused big puke? I lowered my c.level to min. sometime before h.g. leak. Maybe that prevented overflow? Good luck!
Old 10-26-2007, 08:40 AM   #10 (permalink)

Am I doing damage by driving if it is a HG? No overheating, my temp gauge is fine......no overheat warning on dash and plenty of coolant (just below min level). Thanks for the help.
Old 10-26-2007, 10:16 AM   #11 (permalink)

Probably won't hurt anything unless the leak gets bad enough to hydrolock a cylinder, then you could do major motor damage.
69cj428 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2007, 10:20 AM   #12 (permalink)

Is there anyway to know how bad the leak is?
Old 10-26-2007, 01:16 PM   #13 (permalink)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Outnumbered</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the input guys, i thought it needed to go back to the dealership but wanted some other opinions.... Txgooseneck: the dealership is telling me they will only use "stock" head studs, should i push for aftermarket?</div></div>

I'd find another dealer. My dealer even admitted that "He's embarassed at the Ford OEM parts, they really are garbage"
They installed them for me at no charge. Where are you located at?
Old 10-26-2007, 01:17 PM   #14 (permalink)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Outnumbered</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Am I doing damage by driving if it is a HG? No overheating, my temp gauge is fine......no overheat warning on dash and plenty of coolant (just below min level). Thanks for the help.</div></div>

If you HG's are blown then you will continue to eat away at them as fluid is pushing past. I'd go to ford and get a couple gallons of coolant, keep it with you and just watch the level.

Monitor your fluid level and see how much you are using.
Old 10-26-2007, 02:12 PM   #15 (permalink)

TX Gooseneck, thanks for the help, i am in Annapolis, MD. I have actually been monitoring the fluid, I am slightly below the Min with the engine cool, it is not much that has blown out, i keep wiping the top of the degas, my main concern is going to be when I have to tow again. I am going to call the owner of the dealership and ask that I be allowed to provide the ARP Stud kit. More than likely that will void my HG warranty correct? I never had any of these issues with my 1999 7.3 w/ a super chip. I will let you guys know what the owner says but i think I still would like them to pressure test the engine to be on the safe side. I cannot believe they did not do this to start when they couldn't "duplicate" the puking in the shop.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.