6.0 serpentine belt - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2012, 05:45 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.0 serpentine belt

Does anyone have the procedure to replace the fan belt, ie what needs to be removed to replace the belt. Any help would be great
mrslow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2012, 06:04 PM   #2 (permalink)

Nothing really needs to be removed. However if you have a serpentine belt tool your life will be a lot easier.
speedrcr78 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2012, 10:12 PM   #3 (permalink)

i loosened the alternator bolts and tilted it forward
Oxford white, scangauge 2, 3" lift, egr delete, stc upgrade, dieselsite coolant filter, high idle mod, skyjacker s/s,deezee nerf bars and drybox, 305/65-18 BFG all terrains, Hella driving lights and fog lights.
sarnott140 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2012, 10:14 PM   #4 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
This may help some
2 stroker
Sinister Fuel Pressure Adapter
Updated Fuel Reg. Kit 3C3Z-9T517-AG
WOT 58lbs Idle 62-64lbs Just Right
HFCM Water Separator Drain Plug Upgrade
Ford Cetane boost every fillup
Amsoil By-Pass(Amsoil 5w40)
Fumoto Oil Drain Valve
Dieselsite Coolant Filtration System
Dieselsite Boots
Delo ELC Coolant
Tow Command
Upfitter Switches
Pulling a 14,000 lb Alpenlite 5er
Roll-N-Lock bed cover
97 F350 4x4 PSD CC LB (sold it)
1700 Super Chip
PacBrake&ATS converter lockup
3" dp-4" exhaust
TruCool 28,000 lb cooler
Tymar Intake
A pillar EGT,Boost,Trans
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2012, 10:15 PM   #5 (permalink)

There is a catch underneath the tensioner below the alternator on the passenger side, it helps to have 2 people to do it. You have one guy on the passenger side of the truck pull on the belt, when the tensioner comes up the other guy can flip the catch to hold the tensioner up. Then once you replace the belt you just stand on the passenger side of the truck and pull on the belt and the catch releases and the tensioner is released. I used to have a picture of that little catch but I don't know if I can find it. The catch is easier to see from underneath the truck. No tools needed at all if you find the catch. If I find the pic I will post it.

1995 Chevy K1500
6.5 Diesel
335,000 Miles
fonecop1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2012, 10:27 PM   #6 (permalink)

Here you can see the catch, the picture was taken from underneath the truck.

1995 Chevy K1500
6.5 Diesel
335,000 Miles
fonecop1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2012, 06:55 PM   #7 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
It looks like you move the tool toward the center of the engine to release and lock the tensioner. Is that right?
Zerex Red
Mag Tec diff cover
Aux springs
Bushwacker flares
Auto Enginuity PC scan tool, still learning
Blue spring,
Bullet Proof ERG Cooler and bumper mounted Oil cooler
MIDDLETOWN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2012, 07:17 PM   #8 (permalink)

A 1/2" drive ratchet and a 30" titanium lacrosse shaft get it done for me. Getting it down into the square recess on the tensioner is a PITA, but once that's done it's cake.
'06 F250 4x4 - 5" Flo Pro exhaust, SB Filter intake, Accufab elbow, Edge Evolution (monitoring only), SCT w/ ID custom tune, FASS 195 pump, Gillette Diesel EGR cooler delete, Sinister Diesel coolant filter, ELC coolant, updated turbo drain tube/oil feed line/STC fitting/oil cooler, ARPs w/OEM HGs, Elite coolant lines, ITP RR fuel system, Warren Diesel 175cc injectors, Powermax, BD CCV, FICM.com FICM w/ ID tune, Elite UP, BPD water pump - 13.069 @ 101.94

'02 WRX - Outback rear disc swap, EBC green pads, DBA pillar vane rotors, TXS UP/TBE/TMIC, Perrin LW crank pulley, PPG billet steel shift forks, ACT Streetlite flywheel & clutch, K&N filter, STi Group N motor/trans mounts, TiC/Kartboy rear diff mounts/subframe lock bolts/outrigger stiffeners, Kartboy SS & all shifter bushings, custom PDX tune for Cobb AP - went 14.1 on a terrible 60ft before most of these mods; shooting for 13.50s
TKOPerformance is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2012, 07:24 PM   #9 (permalink)

It takes less than 30 seconds and no tools to loosen the belt. Like fonecop1 said, there is a lever under the idler pulley. With one hand pull the belt towards the passenger fender, with the other reach under the pulley and engage the lock. Keep pulling the belt harder and harder and press the catch in. Once the belt is replaced, simply pull the belt again, the catch automatically releases and slowly release the tension on the belt.
Old 10-14-2012, 07:32 PM   #10 (permalink)

You may want to mention that You have to be magilla gorilla to use that little trick.
But the trick does work thats just a strong tensioner LOL
dannyboy950 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2012, 01:09 AM   #11 (permalink)

yeah in my case i couldn't pull the belt hard enough. getting fat an out a shape. that tool though who the heck is the criminal who is shilling that crap. 1/2 breaker bar or ratchet that's it that's all
nitrogen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2012, 06:25 AM   #12 (permalink)

I use the gorilla method myself but it helps to be 350lbs... Harbor freight sells their version of the breaker bar, it is only $18... Serpentine Belt Tool Kit If you use the alt tip method make sure not to let the alt strain the bolts with less then half of the bolt threaded into the bracket. The aluminum bracket is soft and you can strip out the threads... Good luck, that belt is really hidden in there... If you get any car magazines, HF typically has a 20% coupon and one get a certain item free coupon.

2008 FX4 F250 CCSB w/ 6.4L PSD - Edge Insight, H13 Bi-HIDs, custom coolant filter, "all deleted", fumoto.

Last edited by rock_doctor; 10-17-2012 at 06:29 AM.
rock_doctor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2012, 06:32 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock_doctor View Post
I use the gorilla method myself but it helps to be 350lbs... Harbor freight sells their version of the breaker bar, it is only $18... Serpentine Belt Tool Kit If you use the alt tip method make sure not to let the alt strain the bolts with less then half of the bolt threaded into the bracket. The aluminum bracket is soft and you can strip out the threads... Good luck, that belt is really hidden in there... If you get any car magazines, HF typically has a 20% coupon and one get a certain item free coupon.
I'm no gorilla at 165 lb but I have no problem with the gorilla method. If you have trouble it may be that your tensioner is seized up.
cheepone2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.