The Diesel Stop banner

6.0L sudden no start problem beginning with a shorted battery cells

11K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Phil G. 
#1 ·
This is my first ford 6.0 diesel. I was in town stopped shut off engine for about 20 minutes when I returned to start up the engine cranking sounded normal for a few seconds then suddenly slowed dash lights dimmed and afterwards engine would not turn over. A check of the batteries indicated 1 was ok and one was almost completely dry and tested shorted. A new battery and a full charge now the engine spins but oil pressure does not come up on the dash gauge. The dealer's mechanic said the starter is turning too slow and I need a new starter. I dd not think that is the problem so I got a blue tooth adapter and paired it with torque pro on my cell phone. A test indicated the IPR valve pressure was low so I replaced it (very difficult) but still no start. I suspect the HPOP but am wondering if the starter turning a little slow could be the reason for the oil pressure not coming up while cranking. Two 10 second cranks all but exhaust the batteries. Any ideas?

#2 ·
I would start by replacing the other battery with an identical one to the first one... and fast before it kills the new one. Batteries should always be replaced in pairs. The check and clean as needed the terminals on the starter.

Then see where you are at regarding cranking speed etc. If the starter is the issue, it could be drawing excess current while cranking so having it tested right after you swap the battery and clean up the connections would be a good idea and then replace if needed.

#3 · (Edited)
What year 6.0 do you have?

Have you changed oil filter recently?

What rpm's do you get when cranking (150 rpm is the minimum acceptable)

#4 ·
If you do find you need a starter, do yourself a favor and use the 6.4 starter, it is a direct bolt in replacement that spins much faster. If you don't spin about 150 RPM or better it can cause a no start due to too low HPOP, but even if the dash gauge, which is low pressure oil, is not reading while cranking it should fire up. Do you have anything to monitor live data, like HPOP, ICP, IPR%, RPM etc? That is very important on the 6.0 to insure staying ahead of problems, and diagnoses when you do have them.

#5 ·
Two ten second cranks should not exhaust your batteries. Make sure both batteries are good and charged. A bad starter can kill batteries quick. If in fact both batteries are good then I would say you need a starter.

Neil.

#6 ·
I have had two bad starters, they would turn the motor over but drew too much current and truck would not start. This was a 7.3 but same could happen on yours.
DENNY

#7 ·
Thanks for all the comments, the following is what I've and where I'm at present.
1) I did install a matching pair of new batteries.
2) I replaced the IPR Valve with a new one. The one I took out had one terminal that appeared to have been hot and the resistance was 9.4 ohms, the new one read 5.4 ohms.
3) The starter was turning the engine at 84RPM. I replaced it with a new one and it turns the engine at 176 RPM. It tries to start but just won' quit make it.
I have a blue tooth adapter connected and the Torque Pro OBD2 on my LG4 ph and now get the following FMP =47.5 and stays there during cranking IPR goes to 14.7, RPM 176,
FVP drops 11 to 9, HPOP goes from 11.4 to 1481.4, FICM goes from 0.0 to 1.0, ICP-V goes to 30.1, FPDC goes to 100.00
I now get no fault codes but before I changed the IPR valve I got a fault " ICP current low.
Help something still wrong, Ideas anyone?

#8 ·
I'm not sure is having the IPR valve out would cause much air in the HPO system but if you have not cranked very long yet, it may be that it is still purging air.

Have a look at this video starting at the 1 hour and 35 min mark. Ron shows how to prep the engine for restart after HPO system work. Again, I'm not sure if just swapping a IPR would need this but you could try it, it only takes a couple minutes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.