Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com (http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/)
-   6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain (http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/f23/)
-   -   75-90W Synthetic Gear Oil Recommendations....? (http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/f23/75-90w-synthetic-gear-oil-recommendations-52498/)

DieselDennis 06-25-2005 05:37 PM

75-90W Synthetic Gear Oil Recommendations....?

Going to change the fluid in my transmission from ATF over to some synthetic gear oil. The only fully synthetic stuff I can find here in town is Mobil 1. I respect Mobil 1 as a company and think it would work ok (if they have 8-9 quarts of it!).

Does anyone else have any experience with this Mobil gear oil? I know most everyone around here uses Amsoil. Can one supply me with a link to a reputable establishment to purchase such Amsoil 75-90W gear oil at a reasonable price?

GrampyJim 06-25-2005 09:41 PM

Re: 75-90W Synthetic Gear Oil Recommendations....?

Is there a reason to use non-spec oil in the trans? I would consider synthetic ATF but I would think that gear oil would have an advesrse effect on the synchronizer facings.

TheHammer69 06-25-2005 10:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Going to change the fluid in my transmission from ATF over to some synthetic gear oil. The only fully synthetic stuff I can find here in town is Mobil 1. I respect Mobil 1 as a company and think it would work ok (if they have 8-9 quarts of it!).

Does anyone else have any experience with this Mobil gear oil? I know most everyone around here uses Amsoil. Can one supply me with a link to a reputable establishment to purchase such Amsoil 75-90W gear oil at a reasonable price?

[/ QUOTE ]

Here is an excellent synthetic fluid that is specifically designed to replace ATF in manual transmissions that are designed for ATF use. Go to: http://www.specialtyformulations.com...roductlist.htm and scroll down to the MTFglide. It has had great feedback over at the BITOG forums from people who have used it.

-------------------------------------------
Here is the Info on MTFglide:

A low viscosity synthetic transmission fluid for manual transmissions that normally require an ATF. This fluid has the same viscosity as ATF fluid but 5 times the AW/EP additives, and has a GL4 EP additive package. MTFGlide gives your manual transmission superb shifting qualities while protecting the gearing, bearings, and shifter forks. Special friction modifiers guarantee synchronizer and blocker ring engagement are smooth as silk. MTFGlide uses the best synthetic fluids and additives to provide excellent cold weather shifting, positive detent, and protection for yellow metals and sintered synchronizers.

We start out with the industry’s latest and most advanced PAO Group IV and Group V base fluids and include a robust Extreme Additive (EP) and Anti-Wear (AW) package. For added fuel savings, we add our Pat-Pending friction modifier.

What this means is that MTFGlide provides the ultimate in Anti-Wear (AW) and Extreme Pressure (EP) protection while lowering fuel bills over petroleum gear lubricants.

To prevent rust and corrosion, we use the most advanced rust inhibitors, metal deactivators, and antioxidants. MTFGlide provides plenty of protection for copper-alloy metals such as a bronze and brass bearings and synchronizers. Sintered metal synchronizers are protected as well. Shifting is smooth and detent is crisp with MTFGlide.

MTFGlide is compatible with all transmission seals. May also be used in Transfer Cases that specify an ATF.

Remove drain plug and drain old oil. Replace drain plug and tighten. Refill according to manufacturer’s specified capacity.
---------------------------------------------

Hammer

04crew 06-26-2005 07:05 AM

i have been here before with the story that my new f-350 was so hard to shift that i turned around and had the stealer check it out. they said it was O.K.,,,B.S.! having millions of miles operating my own big trucks,,,i never had anything but slick shifting stick trannys. i went home and dumped the atf and poured it into the fuel tank,,,,i replaced it with amsoil gear lube anfd it imediatly shifted much better. within 2 miles of driving, i was very happy with it. mobil-1 gear lube is just as good as the amsoil lube. i later added an ounce or two of Z-MOLY POWDER and now the trans shifts perfectly. one thing it will do now is with the engine off and the clutch depressed, it will shift through every gear without any hesitation. the same tech who test drove it when i first took deklivery took it for another drive, and he couldnt believe it was the same transmission. do as you want, but i recommend the 75-90 syn gear lube. for real severe towing, maybe 85-140 syn gear lube. my trans does not get "hot" when towing 20,000 lbs. after 150 miles in hilly towing, i can hold my hand on the trans,,maybe 140 degrees?

DieselDennis 06-26-2005 01:21 PM

Thanks Dually,

I think the Mobil 75-90 will be fine as well. I'm looking forward to improved shifting. Not that it shifts terrible now, it's just that I feel I have to "help" it shift a little more than should be necessary. I can buy extra at the store, and then return what I don't need. I know the manual says 5.8 quarts capacity, but who knows how much will come out of the cooler and the lines. I plan on draining it, then cranking the engine to see if any more will come out. Then replacing the plug and filling it back up, then cranking the engine and shifting through the gears once, then checking the level again. Probably find time next weekend. Wish me luck.

psdendurance 06-26-2005 06:24 PM

I too am going to change the ATF out of the 6spd. What about the new manual trans lube from Amsoil? I was going to replace the Ford ATF with the Amsoil ATF- I have 5 qts. I would assume that would be better then the Mercon thats in there? And I want to change the transfer case also.
Looks like the MTFGlide is very good and about the same price ? as AMS syn gear oil. May order that for both the tranny and the transfer case

TheHammer69 06-26-2005 09:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I too am going to change the ATF out of the 6spd. What about the new manual trans lube from Amsoil? I was going to replace the Ford ATF with the Amsoil ATF- I have 5 qts. I would assume that would be better then the Mercon thats in there? And I want to change the transfer case also.
Looks like the MTFGlide is very good and about the same price ? as AMS syn gear oil. May order that for both the tranny and the transfer case

[/ QUOTE ]

If you check out the bobistheoilguy.com forums, you will find the MTFglide is getting the two thumbs up!

Hammer