? About EGR delete ? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 01:41 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question ? About EGR delete ?

So I "deleted" my EGR via my SCT X4, but when I removed the physical EGR valve and installed the block off plate and started the truck it ran rough, and was blowing smoke like crazy. Anyone have any input on what is going on. One thing of note is that when I removed the EGR it looked like there was some gunk in the intake, do you guys think this is what was causing this?
At the time, I just put the EGR back in and everything went back to normal.
So should I put the block off plate back on and just let the truck run out all the crap and hope it gets it all out of it's system, or are there any other suggestions?
I can just leave the EGR physically in place it is not doing any harm.

2006 Ford F-350 6.0LPowerstroke

Tan, Lariat, CCLB, 4X4, CB, LineX, Bed box, 5thWheel, tow pack
MODS
BPD FICM PS, SCT X4 w/EGT probe, PHP FICM tuner, straight piped, Blue spring, coolant filtration, CAT-1/ELC,- EGR valve,
leveling kit, 35" Toyo Open Country MTs, STC upgrade, Mean Green alternator, dual Optima's, Stant Degas cap, Archoil 9100/6200
FUTUREPLANS
New oil cooler/EGR cooler delete, STUDS, diff covers, ARBs, bumpers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 09:32 AM

My Photos: (24)
Garage
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Is the smoke white? It sounds like you didn't delete the egr cooler itself. If you're burning white smoke, it usually means the cooler is leaking.

2005 F-350 CC, LB, 4x4, Dually, 6.0 Powerstroke, Torqueshift, 4:10 Gears. Gooseneck and rear pull hitches. "Truck Covers USA" roll up aluminum tonneau cover. Putco Boss Running Boards. Aluminum finned diff covers. Bilstein HD shocks. ProComp steering stabilizer. XRF ball joints. NC Hornet CCV mod. RCD egr delete kit. AirDog fuel system. Strictly Diesel's regulated fuel and coolant return lines kits. Amsoil oil bypass (by NUC Motorsports) and homebuilt coolant bypass kits. CFM intake elbow. ARP head studs with factory gaskets and all upgrades. FICM by Ed with Atlas 40 tune, DC Power 185 amp alternator, MBRP 304SS "Cool Dual" exhaust system. SCT Livewire tuner with pyrometer. Autometer 'A' pillar gauges (Boost/Trans temp/Pyrometer/Fuel Pressure). 850 CCA Motorcraft Batteries. Using Rotella T-6 synthetic oil. Upgraded degas tank and cap. Hayes deep aluminum trans pan. GoGo Diesel modified direct clutch solenoid. Retro Solutions HID head and fog lights. High idle mod. Jimmi-Jammers. +More.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 09:52 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Yes the smoke is white. But with the EGR valve turned off by the tuner but still physically in place the truck runs 100% fine. This only happened when I pulled the EGR valve out and put on the block off plate, that being the only change that caused the symptoms. It just seems weird, theoretically I did not change anything, the hole was plugged either way, with the EGR, or with the block off. It just seems like there would not be any physical difference between the two.

BTW, thanks for the response and help.

MODS
BPD FICM PS, SCT X4 w/EGT probe, PHP FICM tuner, straight piped, Blue spring, coolant filtration, CAT-1/ELC,- EGR valve,
leveling kit, 35" Toyo Open Country MTs, STC upgrade, Mean Green alternator, dual Optima's, Stant Degas cap, Archoil 9100/6200
FUTUREPLANS

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 04:17 PM

You can't just remove the EGR valve to do a delete. You have to physically remove or block off the cooler. If you don't you are just sucking in raw exhaust.

2006 F250 Lariat Supercrew, ESOF 4x4, 18" tires, FX 4, HD Alt., block heater, Integrated Trailer Brake Controller, Upfitters, power rear window, cab lights - delivered 10/25/05

Ford Remote Start; High idle mod; Timbren load levelers, Scangauge II, Blue Spring upgrade, Quick Start 200 amp large frame alternator, 2 batteries January 2010; GPCM replace October 2011; 2 EGR valves; EGR Cooler replaced 12/30/11; Performance Machine & Mfg. coolant filter added 1/2/12; Rotella T6 5W40 oil; turned rotors, replaced brake pads for 1st time 1/7/12 101K miles; GPCM, both subharnesses and all 8 glowplugs replaced 1/5/13 at 118,000 miles; 2 Ford batteries replaced under battery warranty twice, the latest 9/18/2015; FICM power supply board replaced with Dorman board 11/20/13. Coolant flushed and replaced with Prestone ELC 9/27/14. STC fitting 10/19/14; Dummy Plugs 11/8/14; Turbo rebuilt 11/29/14; cold side CAC tube and boots replaced with metal tube 1/24/15; replaced hot side boots 1/30/16.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 04:24 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Why can't you remove the EGR valve and put a block off plate if it is already deleted electrically via the tuner? What does the EGR cooler have to do with the EGR valve?

MODS
FUTUREPLANS
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 09:00 PM

Just putting a plug in where the EGR valve is doesn't necessarily keep the EGR cooler from failing and dumping coolant into the exhaust. The 05 and up EGR coolers weren't all that reliable and one problem was handling the thermal stresses.

Mark
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARP studs;OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Ball joints;Coolant filter;High-Idle mod;RACCCV6000;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;SynchroMax xfer case;Fumoto valve;Harpooned;CPOhighwayProducts toolbox;tracrac;Fox Weatherboots;Wet Okole Seat Covers;BriteBox;Re-flashed;Quadzilla Recon XZT Fuel Press;Blue FPR spring;DashDAQ;PHP FICM;RiffRaff boots;DCPower270A XP;PowerInverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;One-piece HPOP fitting;D-plugs&standpipes;BPD Billet WaterPump;SCT w/ Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra;DuraTracs
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 07:32 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bismic View Post
Just putting a plug in where the EGR valve is doesn't necessarily keep the EGR cooler from failing and dumping coolant into the exhaust. The 05 and up EGR coolers weren't all that reliable and one problem was handling the thermal stresses.

Agreed, I am going to do the EGR cooler delete, I just have not gotten to it yet. So for right now I am just trying to finish up the EGR valve delete part. Anyone have any more information on this?

MODS
FUTUREPLANS
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 11:00 PM

I'd say keep the valve in place until you do the EGR Cooler Delete

2007 F350 CCLB Lariat 4x4. EGR delete, 4" turbo back straight pipe 5'' tip, coolant filter/CAT ELC, blue spring mod, DC Power 185 AMP Alternator,HFCM plug Upgrade, Everything else STOCK. 173k- Feb 2017
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 09:17 PM

EGR Cooler vs EGR Valve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justus View Post
Why can't you remove the EGR valve and put a block off plate if it is already deleted electrically via the tuner? What does the EGR cooler have to do with the EGR valve?
The EGR Valve physically controls the flow of exhaust that comes through the exhaust flow "center" of the EGR Cooler assembly. The cooler has coolant that flows around the outside of the "center" and cools the exhaust gasses that are flowing through the center of the cooler. If you take out the valve, it cannot shut off the flow of exhaust gasses (that flow through the cooler) into the intake. A blocking plate just closes up the hole that the EGR valve sits in. It does not block the passage that the exhaust gas flows through (the purpose of the EGR valve). Electrically deleting the valve only fixes the functioning aspects and feedback loops associated with the valve performance, it does not block off the exhaust gases from going through your intake (an EGR Cooler Delete does that). The length of this answer is probably why nobody answered your specific question. I hope it helps.
iHenry and Justus like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2004 F-250 FX4 Lariat SWB SRW 6.0L Torqshift, Late Engine Build 11/21/04, Dual Alternators,
Extended Cab, Med Wedgewood Blue, Tan Leather Interior, Autopage RS Alarm, Blue Spring, Dieselsite Coolant filter, ARP Studs, Ford Reman Heads (added Exhaust Valve Seats), Updated HPOP, MBRP HD Y-Pipe, RCD EGR Delete, Updated Turbo Oil Tubes. FICMRepair with Econo-tune (wish I'd gotten Atlas 40). Working out BP Perf CCV Kit Install..
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still makes me grin "almost" every time I get near it!
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 07:08 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboThrill View Post
The EGR Valve physically controls the flow of exhaust that comes through the exhaust flow "center" of the EGR Cooler assembly. The cooler has coolant that flows around the outside of the "center" and cools the exhaust gasses that are flowing through the center of the cooler. If you take out the valve, it cannot shut off the flow of exhaust gasses (that flow through the cooler) into the intake. A blocking plate just closes up the hole that the EGR valve sits in. It does not block the passage that the exhaust gas flows through (the purpose of the EGR valve). Electrically deleting the valve only fixes the functioning aspects and feedback loops associated with the valve performance, it does not block off the exhaust gases from going through your intake (an EGR Cooler Delete does that). The length of this answer is probably why nobody answered your specific question. I hope it helps.

Awesome response! Thank you very much for taking the time to give a full and complete answer. That is what I did not understand, now it makes sense. Thank you very much for your assistance TurboThrill.

MODS
FUTUREPLANS
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboThrill View Post
If I am understanding the use of the term block-off plate now, you are saying just a cover plate (which isn't any kind of block off at all)? I haven't seen one or heard of people using only them until now. As turbothrill posted so well, this would allow full EGR recycle all of the time, which isn't good!

However, there are plugs that look like an EGR valve that are simply plugs, no moving parts. They do prevent exhaust gas from flowing to the intake, but they are downstream of the EGR cooler so they allow the EGR cooler to heat up (fill with exhaust at full exhaust pressure). So they still see thermal cycling - which can cause failure. If the cooler fails, even with a plug, this can allow coolant loss (and also exhaust gasses into the coolant), since coolant is still flowing around the internal elements (plates or tubes) of the EGR cooler. An EGR valve that closes and stays closed should also prevent exhaust flow to the intake but they don't always stay closed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Air Flow - 6.0L.jpg
Views:	394
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	105161  
Justus likes this.

Mark
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARP studs;OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Ball joints;Coolant filter;High-Idle mod;RACCCV6000;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;SynchroMax xfer case;Fumoto valve;Harpooned;CPOhighwayProducts toolbox;tracrac;Fox Weatherboots;Wet Okole Seat Covers;BriteBox;Re-flashed;Quadzilla Recon XZT Fuel Press;Blue FPR spring;DashDAQ;PHP FICM;RiffRaff boots;DCPower270A XP;PowerInverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;One-piece HPOP fitting;D-plugs&standpipes;BPD Billet WaterPump;SCT w/ Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra;DuraTracs

Last edited by bismic; 02-14-2017 at 09:40 AM.
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 09:40 AM Thread Starter

Garage
So the best thing is to leave the EGR valve in place even though it is deleted electronically?

MODS
FUTUREPLANS
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 09:47 AM

IMO yes (I agree w/ ByronF350).

So let me verify something. This block off plate that you describe is simply a cover plate that fits over the hole that the EGR valve fits down into? If so, where did you get that plate?

Mark
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 10:24 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Yes, it just covers the hole the EGR valve sits in. I do not remember what the brand was, why?

MODS
FUTUREPLANS
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 10:41 AM

I haven't seen anyone sell just a cover plate before since it allows for uncontrolled EGR recirculation all the time. Engines don't run well that way as you discovered!

I would highly question any shop that just sells a simple cover plate for the 6.0L.

It must have a plug for the passageways.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EGR plug.jpg
Views:	406
Size:	104.2 KB
ID:	105185  
Justus likes this.

Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.