AGAIN!! Bent Push Rods #1 & 3 - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2007, 10:22 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
AGAIN!! Bent Push Rods #1 & 3

Here we go again. The truck left me and the family stranded in the middle of nowhere with the exact same indicators as last time, loss of power, major miss, loud popping from the intake. I have put under 1000 miles,(one month) on the truck since I got it out of the dealership for bent push rods in cylinders 1 & 3. Prior to this time the same problem at 211 miles, then at 17,500 then at 24,800 and again now. Each time the rods and valve train were replaced. This last time the heads were also replaced. I have spoken to Ford and they think the same repair should be done, AGAIN. See my previos posts under bent rods, or, in shop for 39 days. The truck just turned 26,000 miles. Is there any hope? Last time the Ford rep started talking buy back, and sent me a months payment until the repairs were completed. What do you think I need to do? Thanx in advance.. I will keep this updated.
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2007, 11:03 PM   #2 (permalink)

Re: AGAIN!! Bent Push Rods #1 & 3

Buy back if you can. If the same problem is happening like that i would have to think it would be the dealership not knowing what they are doing
Old 05-28-2007, 11:05 PM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (3)

I'd try and get ford to send an engineer specifically for my truck. or discount an 07' big time.
Old 05-28-2007, 11:09 PM   #4 (permalink)

I remember there is a keeper over the lifters that was not installed on some engines.I have to go find it in my manual and get back to you.
Kentucky built 2004 Silver F-250 XL Reg Cab PSD, 4X2, bench cloth seat,air conditioning, 6 spd Manual, 3.73 LS,Line-X , FORD receiver, Prodigy brake controller,towing option,( put together on Monday, March 29, del April 9 2004) 62000 miles
ta152h0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2007, 12:14 AM   #5 (permalink)

The repairs have been done by 3 (three) different dealers in 3 different states. HELP!!!
Old 05-29-2007, 02:48 AM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

Does this truck have any equipment we aren't being told about? This is a question that needs to be asked.....

Repeat failures involving the same cylinders should have alarm bells going in some techs mind.... (knowing vehicle history can be a wonderful thing).

Some considerations.... all of your problems appear to involve bank 1 (the right hand or passengers side). From memory, the failures appear to involve the front two cylinders on that side. Sometimes, the smallest clues can lead to the biggest gains...
GrampyJim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2007, 03:16 AM   #7 (permalink)

None that I know of. No chips or upgrades were added. Stock exhaust, stock everything. My signature is all I have. Unless the dealer I purchased it from did not disclose something. Thanx...Please keep thinking!!!!
Old 05-29-2007, 09:29 AM   #8 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)

Is it always the exhaust pushrods?

Does this truck have phenomenal deceleration in tow/haul mode?

I'm thinking out loud but if the vanes had too much travel and were really restricting exhaust the possibility exists that the pressures might be holding valves open and bends the p'rods. I know it is a stretch but in my days of dealing broken autos professionally I have seen some weird stuff that defies normal logic. I would think the pressure build up would not effect only those two cylinders but reflected gas pressure waves don't follow logic.

I know this is just a notch or two up from Demonic possession as a cause but the things already replaced rule out a whole lot of other things. The way I understand the VN turbo, a mis-indexed assembly might increase the travel of vanes one way or the other........
36 feet on the floor Elite/Outlaw LQ horse trailer.
36 foot double tandem axle flatbed trailer.
36 foot Sooner 6 horse large dressing/ mid tack.
2003 EB Expedition 149K (no engine repairs, gas burners are the new longevity leaders)
2004 Volvo V70R AWD-high miler in fleet, 215K (no engine repairs)
2007 BMW 550i 6MT 112K
jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2007, 09:40 AM   #9 (permalink)

I believe the bent rods were exhaust. but don't hold me to it. The repair paperwork is not that specific. It has had a turbo replacement 10,000 miles ago.
Old 05-29-2007, 09:44 AM   #10 (permalink)

My Photos: (38)

Cylinders 1 and 3 are the closest ones to the EGR system. You may have a fault with that...

It is possible that a small amount of coolant from an EGR cooler leak could rust the intake valve stems on 1 and 3, and bend the pushrods when the valves won't open... But that's a long shot...
Old 05-29-2007, 09:58 AM   #11 (permalink)

With only 1000 miles after new rods were put in?
Old 05-29-2007, 10:55 AM   #12 (permalink)

My Photos: (38)

Well, if the root cause is a leaking EGR cooler, for instance, that is causing rust buildup on #1 and #3 intake valve stems, then replacing the pushrods for those cylinders won't fix anything... The new pushrods will bend just as fast as the old ones did...
Old 05-29-2007, 08:03 PM   #13 (permalink)

The truck is driven daily. Is that still a possibility?
Old 05-30-2007, 12:15 AM   #14 (permalink)

here is what possibly could be your trouble.

2004 FORD manual for the F250, 350, 450,550 section 303-01c-167

30. Caution-to prevent engine damage, keep the cam followers in the order they were removed. Install the cam followers back in their original positions
NOTE- only the front guides use bolts.

that last sentence tells me it is possible no bolt was installed.
Kentucky built 2004 Silver F-250 XL Reg Cab PSD, 4X2, bench cloth seat,air conditioning, 6 spd Manual, 3.73 LS,Line-X , FORD receiver, Prodigy brake controller,towing option,( put together on Monday, March 29, del April 9 2004) 62000 miles
ta152h0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2007, 01:00 AM   #15 (permalink)

At three different dealers? Three times? Could they really be that poor of mechanics? Do I let them try again or pursue a buy back?
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.