Air Filter Minder - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2005, 09:05 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Air Filter Minder

When do we replace the air cleaner in these trucks. I've never been able to notice any movement on that gauge
Even on my previous truck it never moved, the manual just states to watch the gauge and replace as needed. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2005, 09:37 AM   #2 (permalink)

Re: Air Filter Minder

For 28k miles that little reminder never moved. I said that is enough miles for the filter, I ordered a new one and replaced it. The old filter was pretty dirty, you could see some light through it but it was really dirty. After this, I will change it every 25k miles(these are strictly on the road miles, no where around here to enjoy my truck off road.
2008 F-450 Lariat Dark Stone Metallic over Pueblo Gold 4x4(manual shift transfer case, manual hubs), High capacity tow 4:88s, Off Road, Camper packages, Sirius Sat, Upfitter switches, DVD entertainment, tailgate step, traction control, Audiophile 6-disc, PTC Supplemental heat and heated seats(warm buns), rear sensors, traction control, tailgate step. Built May 8, delivered May 24
Reese Signature Series 24k fiver hitch, I installed it myself, best hitch I have found yet
Line-X bedliner, heavy duty floor mats
2003 Sunline F281SR(weekend getaways)
Sea Ray 240 Sundeck
http://community.webshots.com/user/C...host=community
CaptSkup is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2005, 11:12 AM   #3 (permalink)

My light in the cab came on at about 26K and that's when I changed mine. When I checked the minder on the filter housing it looked good but when I pushed the button it reset anyway.

Dan

<font color="blue">Truck Pic's
triplethreat4597 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2005, 01:45 PM   #4 (permalink)

I read here awhile back that alot of the minders are defective and do not work. I stuffed a rag in my intake and pinched the other hose, no movement by the minder gauge. Had Ford replace it.
2004 VETTE CPE
MrHavasu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2005, 09:37 AM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks guys,
I'm going to replace mine, anything special need to know about pulling the air box out?
Old 04-21-2005, 10:12 AM   #6 (permalink)

check
[color=red]this thread</font>

Dan

Old 04-21-2005, 10:16 AM   #7 (permalink)

Don't know what's wrong with my link basically all you have to do is just remove the band clamp from the intake, anmd take out the whole box... That is a two minute thing... then you can change the filter out of the truck.....

Dan

Old 04-21-2005, 11:13 AM   #8 (permalink)

My filter minder thingy never moved either. When I replaced my filter last week at 20,000 miles, I dumped a small pile of dirt out of it [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img]! I will be replacing mine every 20,000 from now on. I know that may be too often, but I see it as a cheap insurance policy [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]. I also do a good amount of off-road driving on the weekends chasing hot-air balloons!

I also think that taking the filter out is a learning experience. The gash on the back of my hand is almost healed by now! I think next time will be easier. I ended up loosening the hose clamp that holds the intake onto the turbo and pushed it back to give me some more room to work. Seemed to help some. Good luck!
Upgrades to date: Pioneer 4-way peakers, Custom Subwoofer under back seat, 600W Jensen Amp, Pyrometer and Boost guages on pillar, SilverStar Headlamps and Foglamps, International "Endless Road" Badges, **More to come**
<font color="red"> My Truck
cm_hensley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2005, 03:43 PM   #9 (permalink)

thing is though, the filter is supposed to trap the dirt right? So it's actually good that there is a lot of dirt in the filter, otherwise it would be in the engine. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I still have my original in there after one year, getting close to 30,000 miles. Each of my oil analysis is showing reduced silicone(dirt) in the engine with time so the filter is doing it's job. Replacing it soon though, I think I pushed it long enough. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-21-2005, 05:46 PM   #10 (permalink)

You are correct, the filter was doing its job...and doing a darn fine job of it! I too, have been having my oil checked out and everything is A-Okay. I think I am just going to make my filter changes into an annual maintenance item [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]. Buying through Filter1, I don't mind changing it more often than I may need to.
Upgrades to date: Pioneer 4-way peakers, Custom Subwoofer under back seat, 600W Jensen Amp, Pyrometer and Boost guages on pillar, SilverStar Headlamps and Foglamps, International "Endless Road" Badges, **More to come**
<font color="red"> My Truck
cm_hensley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2005, 07:19 PM   #11 (permalink)

My Photos: (11)

[ QUOTE ]
thing is though, the filter is supposed to trap the dirt right? So it's actually good that there is a lot of dirt in the filter, otherwise it would be in the engine. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I still have my original in there after one year, getting close to 30,000 miles. Each of my oil analysis is showing reduced silicone(dirt) in the engine with time so the filter is doing it's job. Replacing it soon though, I think I pushed it long enough. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll bet you can probably get 60K+ out of the filter and still have great OA results so don't go just on looks or mileage since the actual operating conditions are much more germane. Replacing filters before they are really due is actually going the wrong way on fitering and is a waste of money. It's easy enough to check to see if the filter minder is working, but I do question how accurately they are calibrated for the particular application, but that again is something easy to fix for around $50 or so.

Larry, keeper of the <font color="red"> New revised </font><font color="blue">"little secrets" </font> CLICK HERE [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
2001PSD(PCM:HPI2)SD E-350,Dk Emerald Grn,4.10LS, <font color="blue">Mustang dyno - 183.9/400.4 stock</font> [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img], BTS w/Schaeffer's ATF[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif[/img] , ITP 3.5"/4" exhaust w/Magnaflow & Aeroturbine,Dieselsite 203* T-stat/Zerex G-05,F.Pwr, Ext/Int. Upgd. pkg,R. Bds,AIC,Tow Pkg, Rear & Slider windows,<font color="red">AMSOIL air, oil-bypass & rear end 75w-140 fluid ,<font color="blue">3/8" fuel sys w/10 Dieselsite DAHL100 & fuel manifold/sight glass</font>,6 way dr. pwr. seat, Magnefine trans/P.S. filters</font>, husky mats,<font color="red">5 gauge A-pillar ISSPRO EVs w/Grn mkr illum. + air & fuel restriction gauges</font>,Dieselsite coolant filter and zinc electrode, manual GPR switch & GP LED, blinking security LED, weathertechs, a few other "Gadgets" [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img], & a 1981 26' Prowler TT(26Y)
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2005, 08:25 PM   #12 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]

I'll bet you can probably get 60K+ out of the filter and still have great OA results so don't go just on looks or mileage since the actual operating conditions are much more germane. Replacing filters before they are really due is actually going the wrong way on fitering and is a waste of money.

Larry, keeper of the <font color="red"> New revised </font><font color="blue">"little secrets" </font> CLICK HERE [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
So do you think I should keep it in there until I see the silicone numbers increasing on my oil analysis? I analyze the oil at every oil change, about 5-6K miles.
Old 04-22-2005, 07:54 AM   #13 (permalink)

My Photos: (11)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I'll bet you can probably get 60K+ out of the filter and still have great OA results so don't go just on looks or mileage since the actual operating conditions are much more germane. Replacing filters before they are really due is actually going the wrong way on fitering and is a waste of money.

[/ QUOTE ]
So do you think I should keep it in there until I see the silicone numbers increasing on my oil analysis? I analyze the oil at every oil change, about 5-6K miles.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure that I would recommend doing that. Even a filter that actually needs to be changed will probably still filter good, but your performance will probably be in the toilet.

If you don't have faith in the filter minder about the only thing you can do is to install a good vacuum gauge plumbed into as close as you can get to the outlet of the airbox and note the restriction when the filter is new and change it when the restriction has increase to around 10in H20 or a total restriction of around 25in H20. That's what I'm doing now with my Amsoil foam air filters and I now have over 22K miles on them and haven't seen any increase in my intake air restriction. If you were to look at the dirty side of my air filters you would throw them into the trash since they look real nasty and about all I do is every 5K miles is to brush off the leaves, elephants, small childern, etc. off the dirty side and put them right back in.

This filter minder was a good idea IMO, but I now question it's proper implementation on some of the air box systems out there since it has to be calibrated properly and Ford probably has a one size fit's all except maybe in the case of some of the AIS systems. Of course once you get into much of the HP game then you're outside of the norms and some of this stuff I've referred to might not be applicable or would have to be modified.

Confusing enough [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

2001PSD(PCM:HPI2)SD E-350,Dk Emerald Grn,4.10LS, <font color="blue">Mustang dyno - 183.9/400.4 stock</font> [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img], BTS w/Schaeffer's ATF[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif[/img] , ITP 3.5"/4" exhaust w/Magnaflow & Aeroturbine,Dieselsite 203* T-stat/Zerex G-05,F.Pwr, Ext/Int. Upgd. pkg,R. Bds,AIC,Tow Pkg, Rear & Slider windows,<font color="red">AMSOIL air, oil-bypass & rear end 75w-140 fluid ,<font color="blue">3/8" fuel sys w/10 Dieselsite DAHL100 & fuel manifold/sight glass</font>,6 way dr. pwr. seat, Magnefine trans/P.S. filters</font>, husky mats,<font color="red">5 gauge A-pillar ISSPRO EVs w/Grn mkr illum. + air & fuel restriction gauges</font>,Dieselsite coolant filter and zinc electrode, manual GPR switch & GP LED, blinking security LED, weathertechs, a few other "Gadgets" [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img], & a 1981 26' Prowler TT(26Y)
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2005, 01:49 PM   #14 (permalink)

I hear what you are saying.. although my performance has not decreased noticeably if at all and my fuel economy is slowly improving now that the temps have warmed up and the fuel is not a winter blend.
I'll probably just change it soon anyway and see if I notice any improvoments with power and fuel economy, if not then it means the filter was still good.
Not very scientific but hey, [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.