Air only coming from the defrost vents - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2006, 11:39 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Air only coming from the defrost vents

Last night when i was driving home (25 degrees) i had the heat on. I normally run floor and defrost all the time in the winter. Well, i was rather cold, so i decided to turn on the panel cuz my nose and hands were cold. well, put it on panel, and it was still blowin out the defroster, went back and forth from a/c to panel to floor, etc. and everytime, it would only blow out the panel. this happen to anybody else?? could it be a fuse or.....? Thanks!
Darin
2003 cent. black lariat F250. crew cab, short box, 4X4. SCT, air raid cold air intake, zoodad, straight through exhaust, powershot 2000 propane kit, intake elbows.com elbow, fuel regulator shimmy mod, quad commander for gauges...tinted windows, gunmetal tails, clear recon mirror lights, fire & ice lightbar, billet grill, clear lamps, level kit, spray in bedliner...6cd in dash changer, sirius sat. radio, 2 - 10s in custom ported box
future plans: ccv mod, new clutch pack
dyno #s coming soon!
darinspsd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2006, 11:46 AM   #2 (permalink)

Re: Air only coming from the defrost vents

Do you have electronic shift on your 4 wheel drive? The air control is vacuum operated and so are the hubs on the electronic shift 4 wheel drive. If you get a leak in the vacuum system you will lose function of all the systems that are vacuum controlled.
Seems to be pretty common for the vacuum lines on the hubs, or the O-ring in the back of them to go bad and mess your system.
55 watt halogen back up lights (4)
200 psi 5 gallon air system
Diesel Site Coolant Filter
HELLA FF50 Fog Lights
Custom Headache Rack
Custom Shovel Rack
Weatherguard Saddle Box
Weathergaurd Wheel Well Box
Herculiner wheel wells and rocker panels
Edge Insight with EGT and Fuel Pressure
MattShade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2006, 11:54 AM   #3 (permalink)

It could also be the vacuum pump itself too. See if the pump running, if it is you have a leak, if it is not or will not it is most likely the pump.

Had to replace it in my 02, I got it on-line for ~$120 shipped to my door, dealer wanted over $210

Purchased a 2007 Dodge, ThunderRoad Edition, QC, 4x4, 5.7L HEMI on 11/30/07.
Traded in my Travel Trailer for it, so no need for a Diesel.

2003 EB Expedition 5.4L

2006 F350 Lariat, 6.0L PSD, Crew Cab, FX4, 4x4 PURCHASED BACK BY FORD! on 8/28/07.
07HEMI4ME is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2006, 11:54 AM   #4 (permalink)

ya, i got shift on the fly 4WD. but it is coming from the defroster fine, and about a week ago i had my a/c on and it worked fine. havent had it it 4X4 in at least a month..
2003 cent. black lariat F250. crew cab, short box, 4X4. SCT, air raid cold air intake, zoodad, straight through exhaust, powershot 2000 propane kit, intake elbows.com elbow, fuel regulator shimmy mod, quad commander for gauges...tinted windows, gunmetal tails, clear recon mirror lights, fire & ice lightbar, billet grill, clear lamps, level kit, spray in bedliner...6cd in dash changer, sirius sat. radio, 2 - 10s in custom ported box
dyno #s coming soon!
Old 12-02-2006, 01:13 PM   #5 (permalink)

There are baffles that move and adjust which vents the air comes out of when you turn the switch. They're vacuum controlled. I guess the defrost is sort of a default on it because that is what it always goes to when you lose vacuum.
The blower itself is electric. Its just the control that switches which vent that is vacuum based. So the air might come out just fine, but if you can't select which vent it goes to you have a vacuum problem.
55 watt halogen back up lights (4)
200 psi 5 gallon air system
Diesel Site Coolant Filter
HELLA FF50 Fog Lights
Custom Headache Rack
Custom Shovel Rack
Weatherguard Saddle Box
Weathergaurd Wheel Well Box
Herculiner wheel wells and rocker panels
Edge Insight with EGT and Fuel Pressure
MattShade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2006, 05:46 PM   #6 (permalink)

how do you check to see if the pump is running? whers it at? any other good ways to check for the vaccum leaks?
dyno #s coming soon!
Old 12-02-2006, 06:41 PM   #7 (permalink)

My Photos: (38)

To see if the vacuum pump is running, turn the key on - don't start the engine - and turn the A/C mode switch to all the different positions - floor, panel. defrost, etc.

The pump will kick on after one or two mode changes if it is operational. It is located on the right front inner fender near the A/C accumulator.

While you have the hood open, reconnect the gray vacuum line onto the little can on the valve mounted in a heater hose in that general area. The oil change guys knocked it off last time... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-18-2007, 12:24 PM   #8 (permalink)

OK, this forum just saved me a bundle of cash. My 2004 F250 was blowing A/C out of defrost vents only. Found this post, ordered the pump online at www.ford-parts.com for $95 plus $8 shipping, it arrived today and put it on in 10 minutes, problem solved. Thanks!!
bellmd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2007, 10:39 PM   #9 (permalink)

here is a tsb

2005/06 A/C or Ventilation Control Problems:
Trucks built between 9-15-04 to 6-8-05 may blow air out of the defrost vents with the mode selector in other positions. The vacuum pump may also run excessivly. Lower the glove box and inspect the vacuum lines to see if they are wraped around the panel/floor door actuator rod. If the hoses are wraped around the rod, inspect for damage to the hoses. If the hoses cannot be repaired, replace them with part number 5C3Z-19D699-AA for automatic temp control or 5C3Z-19D699-BA for manual climate control.
TSB 05-14-9.
Old 05-18-2007, 10:44 PM   #10 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 2 reviews

SAme thing happened to me after I pulled the dash to install a new head unit. Forgot to plug in the selector for the defrost/AC controller..... could be loose or a bad switch....
2006 F-350 XLT CC Lb. 5" Expandit exhaut, ACCUFAB elbow, AEM Brute Force Intake, 8+2" Fabtech 4 link, AMP Steps. BCP mod (Switch #4), Mega ZooDad. Infinity Kappa seperates and BasslinkII. DVD,MP3 & USB. Jack Rabbit. I LOVE MY DUHA! Road Armor Front bumper, need a new back.
BFG 37x12.50-18 KM2 Mud's onBALLISTIC Jesters
....and Mr. Avery's bumpers didn't work out...... he still has my money though, so one of us got a heck of a deal!!
DieselMank is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2007, 02:54 PM   #11 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)

bellmd,

I can't find a listing for a vacuum pump on the site you mentioned?
Old 08-07-2012, 09:44 AM   #12 (permalink)

Thanks to you all,
Saved me a sh$@ load off $.
Bad V. Pump. Got it at local auto parts store.
10 min fix.
Tight Lines to you all.
RipNLip
ripnlip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.