The Diesel Stop banner

Alternator ?

2K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Ford06 
#1 ·
2006 F450 6.0L diesel landscape dump - was dumping yesterday w/ the truck running & when the bed was 1/2 way up, the truck died. Tried starting it but it just clicks. Hooked jumper cables up & it barely started to crank then clicks. Pouring rain so I said eff it for today. Batteries were purchased from Ford dealership 6/14 so they're not even 2.5 years old. I'm thinking it's the alternator??? If so, what alternator (manufacturer & amps) do you recommend, need to get the truck running today or tomorrow at the latest so buying one online is prob. out of the question. Thinking of AdvanceAuto, AutoZone, or CarQuest... Not sure if single or dual alternators but will check later today... Thanks!

#2 ·
If you had a decent boost vehicle and decent cables well connected then more likely than not the issue is cables powering the truck from the battery. If it was me. I would start checking cable & connector condition plus cleanliness of connections. You could charge or replace the batteries and try to start it first but again, if you had adequate power when jumping it, your issues should have been eliminated while the cables were connected especially given it was a warm engine start.

#3 ·
Alternator was shot, so was 1 battery. Tested both batteries (before & after trickle charging), 1 was putting out low 300s CCAs & the other is mid-700 CCAs. They are both 2.5 year old Ford Motorcraft 850 CCA batteries, is the one putting out mid-700s (after trickle charging overnight) OK or should that be replaced also?

#4 ·
So clearly something didn't go well while boosting or it should have started. Bad cables or lose connection, if they were your cables, you might want to check them out before needing them next time so they don't let you down.

It is always recommended that the batteries get replaced in pairs. maybe you could use that spare battery isolated as a battery for the power-pac motor on the dump (assuming it is not PTO driven and has an electric motor).

#5 ·
Replace both or you will prematurely kill the new one.

#6 ·
Ditto on that.

#8 ·
Fudge...

So I replaced one of the batteries & the alternator and the truck worked well all week until this afternoon. The guys were on their way back to the shop & the battery light started flashing. Is the 110 Amp alternator not enough (that's what was in the truck to begin with) or is the battery I didn't replace shot or both? What alternator do you recommend for an '06 F450 landscape dump w/ 6.0L diesel single alternator set-up? I'll order on-line as soon as I hear from y'all I guess...

#9 ·
I believe your truck should have come with a 140A 6G large case alternator, not a 110A one.

If you didn't replace both batteries, the older one probably sucked down the new one. Like was suggested, batteries should always be replaced in pairs. Cable connections should also be cleaned up so they're shiny and cables themselves should be checked for corrosion and deterioration under the insulation near the clamps. A dirty cable connection can cause starting problems and batteries not getting charged.

#12 ·
I have a Quick Start 200 amp large frame. Has works great for the last 6 years.

#11 ·
I'd go with Motorcraft. You don't want to depend on some offshore rebuild or even new alternator.

Check your PM's

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.