antifreeze for 6.0 psd - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2008, 06:33 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
antifreeze for 6.0 psd

has anyone used or can i use prestone heavy duty antifreeze in my 03 6.0 psd..i know i can use the extended version heavy duty..but what about the regular heavy duty..whats the difference..thanks
2003 F250 fx4, shortbed crewcab, 6.0psd, Red, 6" donahoe lift, Bilstein 5100 shocks with dual front hoops, procomp exteme m/t 35 tires on Helo max 8 wheels, ATS extreme painted flairs, linear extreeme bed liner, Banks complete monster exhaust, Banks 6 gun tuner with pda, Airraid intake, Banks intercooler , Alpine cd with 4 6x9 polk audio db690 speakers and 3 jl audio 10w6 subs with hifonics bdi1606 amp, Hifonics 400, clarion eq, tinted windows, chrome running boards, Triglass tonneau cover. chrome door handles and fuel cover, aluminum grill and foglight grill insert, dual steering stabilizer,..
rkfguard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2008, 06:55 PM   #2 (permalink)

Some good info in the following thread:

Quick coolant question
'04 Excursion EB, 6.0 PS, 4X4, Magnaflow Performance exhaust, Isspro gauges (boost, pyro and tranny), Bilsteins, aFe intake, front and rear leaf spring upgrade w/ bags, 30mm rear sway bar, SCT Xcal2, Red-Head box, Jordan brake controller, Arctic Fox 29V - 20,420# GCW, Everything haulin' me, the wife, the 5 Amigos, Millie and Yogi (our 2 Berners).
Stewey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2008, 11:22 PM   #3 (permalink)

so as long as i use an antifreeze with sca or fw16 additive, i should be good to go..but whats the difference between the extended and plain heavy duty type
2003 F250 fx4, shortbed crewcab, 6.0psd, Red, 6" donahoe lift, Bilstein 5100 shocks with dual front hoops, procomp exteme m/t 35 tires on Helo max 8 wheels, ATS extreme painted flairs, linear extreeme bed liner, Banks complete monster exhaust, Banks 6 gun tuner with pda, Airraid intake, Banks intercooler , Alpine cd with 4 6x9 polk audio db690 speakers and 3 jl audio 10w6 subs with hifonics bdi1606 amp, Hifonics 400, clarion eq, tinted windows, chrome running boards, Triglass tonneau cover. chrome door handles and fuel cover, aluminum grill and foglight grill insert, dual steering stabilizer,..
rkfguard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2008, 08:05 AM   #4 (permalink)

Do not use antifreeze with additives (SCA) in the 6.0L. The FW16 was for previous engines. These additives will react with the Motorcraft Gold coolant and cause problems.

Here is a good read on the technical reasons behind using a specific antifreeze:

Coolant flush and refill procedure? - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARP studs;OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Ball joints;Coolant filter;High-Idle mod;RACCCV6000;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;SynchroMax xfer case;Fumoto valve;Harpooned;CPOhighwayProducts toolbox;tracrac;Fox Weatherboots;Wet Okole Seat Covers;BriteBox;Re-flashed;Quadzilla Recon XZT Fuel Press;Blue FPR spring;DashDAQ;PHP FICM;RiffRaff boots;DCPower250A;PowerInverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;One-piece HPOP fitting;D-plugs&standpipes;BPD Billet WaterPump;SCT w/ Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra;DuraTracs

Last edited by bismic; 10-12-2008 at 08:22 AM.
bismic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2008, 05:54 PM   #5 (permalink)

Just use the Zerex G05 (and distilled water). You should be able to get it at most large autoparts stores. Just call around and price it. The wrong antifreeze and you will have pin sized holes form in the water jackets (due to cavitation).

2008 FX4 F250 CCSB w/ 6.4L PSD - Edge Insight, H13 Bi-HIDs, custom coolant filter, "all deleted", fumoto.
rock_doctor is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.