Avg cost to making 6.0 reliable(bulletproof) - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2011, 09:40 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Avg cost to making 6.0 reliable(bulletproof)

I'm pretty new to the forum and diesels but have learned there are some key modifications that are recommended to prevent the issues that the 6.0 are prone to. I'm in the market for a 6.0 and thought it would be a good idea to compound a list of key mods and the average cost of them, for others looking to buy a truck or just brought a truck and want an idea of what they're looking at as far as cost.

If this has already been done just link me to it. I just did a quick google search, products aren't my suggestions just examples of what came up in search for price reference:

-Ford/Racor oil/fuel: $20-50
-ARP head bolts: $500
-Black Onyx head gaskets: $200
-Diamond Eye4" exhaust: $250
-Scangauge II: $200
-EGR delete kit: $300

I'm sure there's plenty I missed, hopefully others with more experience will contribute...
Bully Joe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2011, 01:21 PM   #2 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bully Joe View Post
I'm pretty new to the forum and diesels but have learned there are some key modifications that are recommended to prevent the issues that the 6.0 are prone to. I'm in the market for a 6.0 and thought it would be a good idea to compound a list of key mods and the average cost of them, for others looking to buy a truck or just brought a truck and want an idea of what they're looking at as far as cost.

If this has already been done just link me to it. I just did a quick google search, products aren't my suggestions just examples of what came up in search for price reference:

-Ford/Racor oil/fuel: $20-50
-ARP head bolts: $500
-Black Onyx head gaskets: $200
-Diamond Eye4" exhaust: $250
-Scangauge II: $200
-EGR delete kit: $300

I'm sure there's plenty I missed, hopefully others with more experience will contribute...
Joe
you have a good start but the list goes on
Stock Ford gaskets my understanding better than the Black Onyx
Coolant filter-http://www.dieselsite.com/2003-200760lcoolantfiltrationsystem-preservethelifeofyourwaterpump.aspx
ELC coolant-$80.00
Distilled water 40-50 gallons $30.00
Restore-Restore+--$60.00
Oil by-pass system--$300.00
Fuel pressues gauge and reg kit--$300.00
Oil cooler (maybe) $300.00
FICM Repair (maybe) $300.00 New $1100.00
2 New Batteries $250.00
To do the repairs $3000-$4000.00
I'm running out of $$$$$$
2 stroker
Sinister Fuel Pressure Adapter
Updated Fuel Reg. Kit 3C3Z-9T517-AG
WOT 58lbs Idle 62-64lbs Just Right
HFCM Water Separator Drain Plug Upgrade
Ford Cetane boost every fillup
Amsoil By-Pass(Amsoil 5w40)
Fumoto Oil Drain Valve
Dieselsite Coolant Filtration System
Dieselsite Boots
Delo ELC Coolant
Tow Command
Upfitter Switches
Pulling a 14,000 lb Alpenlite 5er
Roll-N-Lock bed cover
97 F350 4x4 PSD CC LB (sold it)
1700 Super Chip
PacBrake&ATS converter lockup
3" dp-4" exhaust
TruCool 28,000 lb cooler
Tymar Intake
A pillar EGT,Boost,Trans
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2011, 05:09 PM   #3 (permalink)

I figured I missed a boat load of items. Thanks for stepping in. Looks like I will need to tell the wife the truck will cost about $5k more than I plan to buy it for so I can get everything up to par.

Can we prioritize them in a couple of categories like what has the highest priority? I don't know enough to do it or to tell what can be done by a novice diesel owner and what should go to the shop...
Old 11-08-2011, 07:49 PM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (2)
Send a message via Yahoo to 07PstroKe
Don't forget....
ARP head STUDS (Pretty sure that's what you meant)
Fuel regulator "update" (blue spring mod) $61.00 shipped
Programmer

P.S Aside from the head studs, most of the things can be done in your own driveway with basic tools. Before you go spending the money on labor....check for threads on these mods. A lot of us have done them ourselves, tons of great information, pictures, and advice.
Edge Juice
Stacked 7" straight cut
Pioneer D2 Nav
Sinister Coolant Filtration
Amsoil oil bypass
Blue spring "update"
BD Power hose/clamp kit
CFM+ Intake
6.4 Banjo bolt upgrade

LMelilloiv@gmail.com

Last edited by 07PstroKe; 11-08-2011 at 07:52 PM.
07PstroKe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2011, 11:40 AM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (2)
Send a message via Yahoo to 07PstroKe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bully Joe View Post
I figured I missed a boat load of items. Thanks for stepping in. Looks like I will need to tell the wife the truck will cost about $5k more than I plan to buy it for so I can get everything up to par.

Can we prioritize them in a couple of categories like what has the highest priority? I don't know enough to do it or to tell what can be done by a novice diesel owner and what should go to the shop...
Joe,

Depending on ones own "budget, priorities may change.

Exhaust is a fairly cheap but necessary upgrade to any diesel (including my Jetta TDI). You'll notice lower EGT's but not much difference when you drop the hammer.

EGR delete, again fairly cheap. But if your not mechanically inclined to get into the motor a bit, I don't recommend doing so without some research first. I perosnally have not done this mod to my truck, stock cooler has gotten me to 105,000 miles successfully. Why fix whats NOT broken?

Blue spring mod, a noticeable difference, can be done in about an hour or so even for a newbie. This is a cheap and very necessary mod.

Coolant filter, again fairly cheap, easy install. Just ordered mine, most expensive part is the distilled water and new coolant for the flush and refill.

There is more, but I think this is enough to start with. Good luck.
Edge Juice
Stacked 7" straight cut
Pioneer D2 Nav
Sinister Coolant Filtration
Amsoil oil bypass
Blue spring "update"
BD Power hose/clamp kit
CFM+ Intake
6.4 Banjo bolt upgrade

LMelilloiv@gmail.com

Last edited by 07PstroKe; 11-09-2011 at 11:42 AM.
07PstroKe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2011, 09:02 PM   #6 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
I would say, Coolant is the #1 mod needed, then fuel pressure blue spring, gauges (scan gauge) is fine. Then exhaust, coolant filter and probably a FICM repair (you may need this immediately, you will have to check the voltage. There are a lot of fixes needed to give you peace of mind, but they are great trucks.
Short Bed, Crew Cab, Sun Roof, Power Rear Window
18" KR wheels, Camper Package, Tow Command

Mods: Shaker 500 Stereo, Alpine MRV-F450 amp, Line-X, Edge Insight, MBRP 4" Turbo Back Exhaust, Diesel Site Coolant Filter, Blue Spring upgrade, Removed Ford Gold Coolant, Fuel Pressure Guage
ralderman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2011, 11:22 PM   #7 (permalink)

My Photos: (7)
Could you gents elaborate on what you mean by exhaust and why is it a recommended upgrade? Thanks, I'm still in learning mode.
blackcell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2011, 04:50 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07PstroKe View Post
Joe,

Depending on ones own "budget, priorities may change.

Exhaust is a fairly cheap but necessary upgrade to any diesel (including my Jetta TDI). You'll notice lower EGT's but not much difference when you drop the hammer.

EGR delete, again fairly cheap. But if your not mechanically inclined to get into the motor a bit, I don't recommend doing so without some research first. I perosnally have not done this mod to my truck, stock cooler has gotten me to 105,000 miles successfully. Why fix whats NOT broken?

Blue spring mod, a noticeable difference, can be done in about an hour or so even for a newbie. This is a cheap and very necessary mod.

Coolant filter, again fairly cheap, easy install. Just ordered mine, most expensive part is the distilled water and new coolant for the flush and refill.

There is more, but I think this is enough to start with. Good luck.
Thanks for the suggestions. Seems like those are very elaborate mods and are pretty easy on the wallet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralderman View Post
I would say, Coolant is the #1 mod needed, then fuel pressure blue spring, gauges (scan gauge) is fine. Then exhaust, coolant filter and probably a FICM repair (you may need this immediately, you will have to check the voltage. There are a lot of fixes needed to give you peace of mind, but they are great trucks.
All of those seem pretty easy for the most part. Not sure about the FICM repair...

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcell View Post
Could you gents elaborate on what you mean by exhaust and why is it a recommended upgrade? Thanks, I'm still in learning mode.
Here's a video that can explain it better. Actually this guy has over 100 vids that I watched one day and I learned something from each one, not a bad idea for you to scan through all his vids.

EGR(Exhaust Gas Recirculation) delete mod

powerstrokehelp's Channel - YouTube

And here's a menu of all his videos, 179 of them...good info

powerstrokehelp's Channel - YouTube
Old 11-11-2011, 07:16 PM   #9 (permalink)

My Photos: (7)
Bully Joe, awesome, thanks for links!
blackcell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2011, 06:17 AM   #10 (permalink)

At 120000 miles I blew the head gaskets. They milled the heads, new radiator, new Bulletproof cooler, ARP studs and a new serpentine belt. $5700. Last week at 150000 miles they had to replace HPOP and oil cooler and the FICM with the good fix. $3600. One thing I learned was the coolant is critical and you need to get the PH tested on a regular basis which my mechanic never did.
-Ramsey winch
-H&K usp compact/.40 S&W
gleninaz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2011, 07:49 AM   #11 (permalink)

What is PH??? ive gotten quotes for 4k on a bulletproof from a 6.0L only shop... where r yall taking your trucks, holy crap, $5,700???

Retired: 2007 Crew Cab Short Box F250 Lariat
64,000 miles. Completely Stock!
Scanguage 2 Monitoring The Vitals.

Dad: 2011 F-150 CCSB Ecoboost!
Bone stock!

2011 Dodge Durango
"Ya got Hemi?"
curly0909 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2011, 02:34 AM   #12 (permalink)

Check out this post

Informational post on 6.0 upper engine work

This will give you an idea of what everything cost me.
2004 F350 4x4 Crewcab Dually XLT, 6.0L V-8 Diesel 6-Spd H/D trans. Oxford White. 4.10 Limited Slip Axle, Advanced Security Group, Bright Polished Cab Steps, Sliding Rear Window, FX4 package, 6 Disk CD Changer, Fog Lamps, Cloth Captains Chairs, Privacy Glass.
B&W Turnover gooseneck ball hitch and five leaf overload pack added.
4" Exhaust, SCT tunner running the 65hp heavy tow tune!
New headgaskets, head and valve job, ARP Studs, Injectors replaced, Upgraded oil tubes, EGR Delete, New oil cooler, New manifolds, Blue spring fuel pressure kit, new 850 batteries, and ScanGaugeII.
6.4L Banjo Bolts
tlcregger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2011, 04:26 AM   #13 (permalink)

Great thread! Also my favorite view.
1bbcd5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2011, 08:51 AM   #14 (permalink)

Joe,
I'm a little late to the party with my 2 cents, but I'm "bulletproofing" my 6.0L now. At 122K miles I blew my EGR cooler, which was evident by the white billowing smoke from my exhaust and confirmed by the coolant in my Y pipe and intake manifold. These are the repairs I have done and those I am in the middle of doing in chronological order. (It may not be the best order, but it worked for me):

Superchips Flashpaq, used and unlocked for $200 (but I'll be upgrading to a SCT X3)
4" Dynamax exhaust, about $550-600 from NAPA
Blue Spring upgrade, $60 from Tousley Ford (easy 45m upgrade)
EGR Cooler and Oil Cooler Kit, $2200 from Bulletproof Diesel
ARP Stud Kit with all the injector ORings, $1089 from Bulletproof Diesel
Professional Kit (HPOP upgrade, turbo drain upgrade, oil pump switch, misc orings, gaskets, filters, etc) $220, from Bulletproof Diesel - spent so much at BPD they gave me a free jacket.
Waterpump with CNC aluminum impeller, $250 from Bulletproof Diesel (this one you don't have to do, I just didn't want it going out after a coolant flush and end up wasting all the money on new coolant)

Once its back together I'll do a coolant flush for about $100 (water, Restore, coolant, Fumoto valves, etc) and install a coolant filter for about $170. I have the typical rough start in cold weather, but I think a FICM reflash will take care of this.

I am fortunate enough to have a place to work on my truck with a lift, so I pulled the cab to do it all and did the labor myself. I will have about $5000 into "bulletproofing" my truck when I'm done...until I blow something else up on it.

Bare in mind, I'm pretty new at this and am, by no means, a mechanic. There are certain to be some differing opinions on this forum, but if you budget for about $5000 in parts and a few more $$ in labor you will have a pretty nice truck.

Keep reading this forum. There is a lot of great information on here, but if you're doing the work yourself you may also want to purchase a service manual ($180 on Amazon). You can find most of the manual here and there on this forum, but its convenient to have one on your workbench.

I was told not to buy a 6.0L when I bought mine, but despite the drawbacks its one fine truck. Good luck.
3.5" Level Kit with 35"s on 18" Helo
Blue Spring upgrade
BulletProof Diesel EGR
BulletProof Diesel Oil Cooler
ARP Studs
RetroFit HIDs
Ranchhand Grille Guard w/ Smittybilt Winch
Scanguage II
One Partridge in a Pear Tree
NEB_DIESEL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.