Bad/strong exhaust smell at idle - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2005, 12:08 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Bad/strong exhaust smell at idle

Lately i noticed the exhaust smell of my truck has gotten really strong at idle. I know it's a diesel but it's getting really bad.
Any suggestions on why it doing this.
Rwhat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2005, 12:49 AM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (3)
Re: Bad/strong exhaust smell at idle

well, you have no info here, but I know for awhile there was a problem the y pipe cracking, or being cracked, something. it would cause exhaust into the cab.
04 6.0, volant intake, 4 inch exhaust, NOR-CAL TRUCKS custom 13 inch lift, GOLDENFOX CUSTOMS interior-dark gray suede insets with light gray leather, GOLDENFOX CUSTOMS paint-two tone candy with stripe, NO BADGES, KAR TUNZ custom stereo, 20 inch chrome weld commandos with 40" toyo's, 4:56 gears, and some fast stuff by DJ
goldenfox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2005, 01:20 AM   #3 (permalink)

I understand the y-pipe deal. I'm talking about a really bad diesel exhaust smell with the drivers and passanger window down. I have stock exhaust and no mods. Lately the smell has gotten bad, like a gasser running rich.
Rwhat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2005, 04:29 AM   #4 (permalink)

Do a search here and you'll find a lot of info. Take it to the dealer. Most often it's a Y-pipe leak or a manafold leak. Mine is doing the same thing and getting worse. Initially there was no smell at all, now it's very strong. After 3 repair attempts, I'm in mediation and may end up going lemon law.
Old 11-16-2005, 06:09 AM   #5 (permalink)

Mine does it also.
I had the turbo down pipe replaced and it still does it.
I will end up taking it back to the dealer sometime soon.
Old 11-16-2005, 09:39 AM   #6 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
I understand the y-pipe deal. I'm talking about a really bad diesel exhaust smell with the drivers and passanger window down. I have stock exhaust and no mods. Lately the smell has gotten bad, like a gasser running rich.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe different fuel (blended) but diesel exhaust does smell like well, diesel exhaust and with the windows down, you'll smell it more. You should smell mine with all 4 windows down and both rear quarter windows opened and I come to a stop and the wind is jst right. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

"Treat me good, I'll treat you better; treat me bad, I'll treat you worse." - Sonny Barger
FamilyRide is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2005, 11:01 AM   #7 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to ritschner

It is that time of year. With colder temperatures the warm exhaust will tend to rise more and manage to find its way into the ventilation system. This is made worse by the fact that colder starts means more unburned fuel in the exhaust after start-up and cold mornings usually mean still air. You need to point the truck into a light breeze to see if it is an exhaust leak problem. An exhaust leak will generally give you the smell even if the truck is pointed in a slight breeze.
White 06 F350 Lariet CC 2WD DRW Tow Boss, Timbren SES, Bilsteins, Smiths Ultimate Bedliner, RK Tool Box, CondensorGuard, IntakeMod, S&B Intake, SEIC, Banks 4"TB, Accufab, Edge Attitude CS, Blue Spring Mod, Rebuilt FICM, STC and Standpipe update, Harpoon Mod, Coolant Filter, Glove Box Light, Hood Insulator, Rewired Mirror Heat, Seat Heater Indicator.
ritschner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2005, 02:03 PM   #8 (permalink)

Hey, I have an '04 and the exhaust smell is getting terrible in my cab. It has been that way since I bought it but is worse now. Guess I need to go back to the dealer. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/vomit.gif[/img]
Old 11-18-2005, 05:25 PM   #9 (permalink)

I have an 06
and when I stop at a stop sign/light or anywhere
there is a terrible exaust smell with the windows up
even if there is a breeze

My 2000 was never like this
hamp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2005, 06:50 PM   #10 (permalink)

We've got to get this problem figured out.
My 05 is the same way. Its going to the dealer over Christmas break.
Old 11-19-2005, 08:51 PM   #11 (permalink)

I took a look under my engine and I can see that not only the downpipe left side connection to the exhaust pipe is showing evidence of blowing black soot, but half the manifold to head connections (both sides) are doing the same. Shame, shame, shame on Ford for such a silly problem. All for the sake of saving on a few cheap gaskets. Stinks to high heaven can't wait to get it fixed.
Old 11-19-2005, 11:41 PM   #12 (permalink)

I love the smell of diesel exhaust in the morning. It smells like.....victory! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/warmsmile.gif[/img]

Amateur Radio W4RLR
Richard L. Ray
Sewanee, Tennessee
rray32539 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2005, 08:50 AM   #13 (permalink)

My new 2006 has exhaust smell in the cab about 30 sec after startup with the windows closed. Seems to get better after it warms up. I guess its off to the dealer!

Ford Remote Start; High idle mod; Timbren load levelers, Scangauge II, Blue Spring upgrade, Quick Start 200 amp large frame alternator replacement, 2 batteries January 2010; GPCM replace October 2011; 2 EGR valves; EGR Cooler replaced 12/30/11; Performance Machine & Mfg. coolant filter added 1/2/12; Rotella T6 5W40 oil; turned rotors and replaced brake pads for 1st time 1/7/12 101K miles; GPCM, both subharnesses and all 8 glowplugs replaced 1/5/13 at 118,000 miles; 2 Ford batteries replaced under battery warranty; FICM power supply board replaced with Dorman board 11/20/13.
Ford06 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2005, 12:49 PM   #14 (permalink)

as long as the diesel smell is out the back of your exaust and not the front YES it is a good smell BUT when you are overcome by it in the cab it is not!!!!!!!
hamp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2005, 12:51 PM   #15 (permalink)

Yes, I get exhaust fumes tin the cab too. I think it started after they replaced the turbo at 34000 miles. Will go to the dealer on Wednesday.
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.