Bar's Leaks or Stop Leak. OK for a 6.0? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2011, 05:31 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Bar's Leaks or Stop Leak. OK for a 6.0?

A couple years ago while changing out my water pump pulley, I snapped the nub off of the radiator that the small hose to the degas slips on. I fixed it with some parts I had laying around. It has been fine for the last couple years but after a coolant flush it developed a pinhole leak. I know the factory system has some type of stop leak pellets in it but I don't want to hafta pay ford prices. I need to replace the radiator but I seem to be only able to afford the "absolutely necessary" most of the time.....I've replaced my oil cooler before and don't really want to have to do it again anytime soon, so I'm gonna get some input first....
1997 Camaro Z28 Convertible (sold)
2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 180,000+ miles(wife totalled)
2001 60th Anniversary Grand Cherokee (rebuild complete)
1993 Ford Ranger 250k (best truck I've ever owned)
1995 Coachmen Maxxum 37' 5ver
1949 Chevy Thriftmaster pickup 355 (sold)
stoverbro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2011, 06:47 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
I definitely wouldn't do it.

Stoverbro - Where did you confirm that Ford put stop leak pellets in at the Factory? That is an old rumor - never proven - at least I have never seen it backed up by anything official.
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARP studs;OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Ball joints;Coolant filter;High-Idle mod;RACCCV6000;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;SynchroMax xfer case;Fumoto valve;Harpooned;CPOhighwayProducts toolbox;tracrac;Fox Weatherboots;Wet Okole Seat Covers;BriteBox;Re-flashed;Quadzilla Recon XZT Fuel Press;Blue FPR spring;DashDAQ;PHP FICM;RiffRaff boots;DCPower270A XP;PowerInverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;One-piece HPOP fitting;D-plugs&standpipes;BPD Billet WaterPump;SCT w/ Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra;DuraTracs

Last edited by bismic; 07-07-2011 at 02:04 PM.
bismic is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2011, 07:43 AM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
I wouldn't use stop leak in any vehicle especially one with a 6.0. The oil cooler in this truck is far too easily clogged to risk putting a clogging agent in it. If you can't replace it, JB Weld it or something but don't put anything into your cooling system which will be almost impossible to remove later.
Old 07-07-2011, 10:42 AM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (16)
Bar's Leaks or Stop Leak. OK for a 6.0?

In a 6.0L they are knows as "Stop Oil Cooler".

Truck Pictorials on Facebook. Google - Facebook TooManyToys

Step Lights;Painted Flanges; Bypass Oil Filter; Heated Mirror Switch; Reverse Lights; 7.3L Fuel Reg Shim; 6 Disc Radio Speed Volume Mod; Coolant Filter, etc.
FMTRVT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.