The Diesel Stop banner

Block heater fuse???

29K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  kninejk 
#1 ·
I have noticed that my block heater has not heated at all the past couple of nights. I have looked through the owners manual for a fuse location or some type of troubleshoot, but none to be found. In fact, there is hardly any information except that it is there and plug it in.

Have any of you have had this problem in the past and found a fix? Otherwise it off to the service center for an appointment.

Thanks,

Michael

#2 ·
There is no fuse on the truck for it. The fuse (breaker) is on the other end of your extension cord. I would check the extension cord, then the blockheater cord for failures. The block heaters themselves don,t fail very often.

#3 ·
Don't know where your at on "whats what" with the block heater...not to insult your intelligence but check this...

Make sure you got power at the receptacle your extension cord is plugged into. No power, check GFI and/or circuit breaker.

Make sure cord is good (have power). Plug your xmas lights into it or something to make sure it comes on.

All good so far, check the block heater plug end for damage or loose wires. If bad, buy a heavy duty replacement at home depot and wire to the OEM cable. The factory plug could work loose over time.

Still no work, check and follow the length of the cord to the heating element look for abrasions and secure fit to the heating element. If you drove off with the cord plugged in its possible to work loose the connection or the plug end.

#4 ·
Yeah, I checked the power before I posted. The cord looks ok and does not look separated or stretched. I had a hard time following it through the engine and got tired of looking.

I scheduled an appointment for Monday to have a tech look at it. I figure I might as well get it looked at since it is still under warranty.

Thanks for the advice though,

Michael

#5 ·
If you live in an area that uses salt on the roads in winter like I do, corrosion inside the heater cord sometimes occurs. If you don't pack the connector with a grease like I recommend AND OR use the plug cap that is tethered to the cord then salt laden water can enter the plug. Once there, it slowly corrodes the wiring and it eventually stops working. I have seen a few of those over the years.

#6 ·
No salt used in Oregon. Does not typically snow or ice up much in the Willamette valley. Lots of rain however!

I am curious about what type of grease you jam in the cap. It might be a good idea out here due to all of the moisture. I would imagine a marine or axle grease?

#8 ·
I have noticed with my trucks the length and guage of the extention cord makes a big differance in the block heater proformance. Just my .02 cents.

#9 ·
[ QUOTE ]
Lithium grease and dielectric compound.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly.

#10 ·
Took my truck in for a block heater repair on Monday and was just told I will have it back on Tues or Wed Dec 27 or 28. Found an intake problem(would not explain fully), front R bearing or hub going out, and possibly a turbo prob. Glad I took it in before warranty was up. Going in to get a rental car.

Happy holidays!

#11 ·
I'm having an issue with this as well. I have driven off with my cord still plugged in more times than I can count. One time I dragged a 50' extension cord for about a quarter mile. Have no idea how I didn't run over it. Anyways, it stands to reason that the cord on my truck might be bad at one end. How then do I replace it? Can I use any heavy duty extension cord and just wire the plug that inserts into the heater on the one end?

Thanks!

#15 ·
I see this is an older post but will give a reply anyway for anyone that may have this same issue. This is a time tested repair that works ( Over 10 Years Now) I own a 2004 Super Duty with the 6.0 and it still runs like new, fortunately! I drove away with my extension cord plugged into the block heater enough times that it finally damaged the male plug on the end of the block heater cord. Yes, I know, very dumb... Instead of replacing the whole cord I got creative and spliced on a plug with and additional 12” pigtail that is much stronger than the original wimpy cord. I went to the local hardware store and purchased a short heavy duty outdoor rated extension cord and simply cut off what I needed with the male end intact. I also purchased some heat shrink tubing that would fit over the cord. This part is important, slip a length of heat shrink tubing down over the cord where you will make the splice. Once you have spliced both the block heater cord and the new pigtail, simply slip the heat shrink tubing back over the splice, apply heat to shrink the tubing. Once this is done, do a nice wrap with quality electrical tape for added water proofing and strength. Be sure to go well beyond the splice with the tape wrapping. My splice job has been holding up for about 10 years now so I know that my method works. Good Luck!

#12 ·
You need to keep at least the plug that goes into the heater, trying to hand wire to the heater terminals would be pretty difficult to make reliable. Personally I would recommend you replace the whole cord to keep everything weather resistant so the problem doesn't return at the most inopportune time.

#13 ·
The cord failures typically occur directly behind the plug, generally from the cord being yanked out then flapping in the breeze while you're driving down the road. The wires break inside the insulation, leaving very little evidence from the outside.

A good fix is to install a Marinco Charger inlet on the bumper, cutting the cord back enough to get to good wires, and connecting them to the inlet. Then you can do a on-handed disconnect without damaging anything.

Here's a photo of my installation.
TheDieselStop.Com Photo Hosting - Marinco Plug

#14 ·
I usually wrap the extension cord around the drivers side mirror to remind me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.