Blowing white smoke on take off, smells like burnt oil - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2012, 12:43 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Blowing white smoke on take off, smells like burnt oil

First time posting so bare with me. I have a 05 F250 6.0, getting ready to put on egr delete but other then that no mods. 190k all stock. I have noticed that just on take off from stop lights ect. it has been blowing a good amount of white smoke. It isn't blue and it lingers for awhile. Smells like burnt oil. Took the turbo off and there was oil around the exhaust clamp and also it appears to have some oil on the exhaust tip or it looks wet anyways. The turbo shaft spins freely and there really isn't any play in it, just appears to be leaking. Coolant levels are normal and it doesn't smell like anti freeze at all. I was looking for input maybe a seal in the turbo is going out causing oil to leak to the exhaust? I wanted to get as much info as possible before having the turbo rebuilt unless there is anything else that could be doing this.
adamlanghans is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2012, 01:38 PM   #2 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
If the white smoke just started i would pull the EGR valve and check it if it is damp or wet cooler is bad if just soot then look at the turbo maybe the oil may also be from the CCV the hot side of the turbo will leak oil through the boots
I like this one
6.0L power stroke egr repair - YouTube
DTS Articles - 6.0L EGR Valve Cleaning
DTS Articles - EGR Servicing
2 stroker
Sinister Fuel Pressure Adapter
Updated Fuel Reg. Kit 3C3Z-9T517-AG
WOT 58lbs Idle 62-64lbs Just Right
HFCM Water Separator Drain Plug Upgrade
Ford Cetane boost every fillup
Amsoil By-Pass(Amsoil 5w40)
Fumoto Oil Drain Valve
Dieselsite Coolant Filtration System
Dieselsite Boots
Delo ELC Coolant
Tow Command
Upfitter Switches
Pulling a 14,000 lb Alpenlite 5er
Roll-N-Lock bed cover
97 F350 4x4 PSD CC LB (sold it)
1700 Super Chip
PacBrake&ATS converter lockup
3" dp-4" exhaust
TruCool 28,000 lb cooler
Tymar Intake
A pillar EGT,Boost,Trans
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2012, 02:04 PM   #3 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Would a bad egr valve cause white smoke that lingers and also smells like burnt oil? I have had the turbo off before and never saw evidence of oil around the exhaust pipe or standing in the bottom side of the clamp of the exhaust side like it is now.
adamlanghans is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.