Blue smoke on cold start - Most likely cause(s)? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012, 02:31 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (2)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Excessive blue smoke on cold start - Most likely cause(s)?

Most likely cause(s)?
Blue smoke from tailpipe on cold start started about one month ago. Engine starts quickly and runs smoothly at all RPM's. The blue smoke will continue until the engine warms up and then goes away under all conditions. There is no blue smoke on a warm engine start even when sitting for as many as 4 hours. Using a mix of Delo Synthetic 5W40 (1/3) and Delo Dino 15W40 (2/3) and just changed oil and filter(Fram/Racor) on Sunday. Oil Pressure is good(75 PSI on start/60 PSI warm). There is no oil residue at the exhaust tailpipe. I am not talking about a little blue smoke, but a significant cloud.

Truck has 121k miles and is pretty much stock as from the factory. Usage is a mix of highway non-towing (60%) and towing a 24' 5th wheel (40%).

I have read a lot of threads here, and there seems to be a number of different root causes(except all are oil related) that result in blue smoke, but most involve a hard start and/or poorly running engine.

Thoughts, questions, comments, opinions?

Thank you.

'05 F350 Lariat Super Duty Crew Cab, 6.0PSD, 4x4, M6HD-W 6 Speed Manual, '17 Arctic Fox 992 TC, AutoEnginuity Scantool

Last edited by TheCamel; 06-14-2012 at 12:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012, 10:42 PM

My Photos: (3)
I would be curious to see what the valve seals look like. Are you adding oil in between oil changes? How much oil?

2006 F-250 6.0 Crew Cab
Red ELC Coolant, Sinister Coolant Filter, CCV Re-route, 6.4 Fuel Banjo Bolts, Fuel Regulator Blue Spring Update, Tint, High Idle Mod, Zoodad Mod, Kenwood, Infinity, Autometer, 4" MBRP Turbo back, No Cat, Sinister EGR valve & Cooler Delete, SCT SF3, Garrett Stage 1 Powermax Turbo, Updated 1 Pc. STC Fitting, Fumoto valve, Updated FORD Oil Cooler, Gates Fleetruner Belt, Blue Anodized Fuel & Oil Caps, HFCM Plug upgrade, DEI Thermal wrap
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012, 11:41 PM Thread Starter

No oil added between changes. I got 13 quarts out when I changed the oil this past weekend. That was going 11 months since the last O&F change. The truck is not a daily driver.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cetane Man View Post
Are you adding oil in between oil changes? How much oil?

'05 F350 Lariat Super Duty Crew Cab, 6.0PSD, 4x4, M6HD-W 6 Speed Manual, '17 Arctic Fox 992 TC, AutoEnginuity Scantool

Last edited by TheCamel; 06-13-2012 at 12:28 AM.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012, 11:57 PM

My Photos: (0)
Blue smoke is burning oil and it doesn't take much to do it. I'd look at the turbo seals first since it goes away when the engine is hot.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-14-2012, 12:51 PM Thread Starter

Thank you, after researching the turbo seal, I think that is the most likely cause. I have an Autoenginuity PC03 scan tool that should be here today or tomorrow. It likely won't identify a center seal leak in the turbo, but should be able to diagnose if the injectors could be at fault.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Term3 View Post
I'd look at the turbo seals first since it goes away when the engine is hot.

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-15-2012, 04:26 PM Thread Starter

P0299 Code

Scanner arrived today, and it indicates a P0299 DTC. Does not trigger the CEL, but shows an MIL "pending". I have a Ford extended warranty that is good until next April, so have an appointment at the dealer for next Tuesday. I have a recommendation from another tech (not at that dealership) on the Ford dealer diesel tech that says he is excellent.

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-17-2012, 03:31 PM

assuming it is oil, if you are not adding between oil changes, it is not enough to make it worth spending 1 penny fixing. you could try running the "archoil/evergreen" fuel and oil additives. they seem to improve nearly every 6.0 that they have been tried in.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 11:33 AM

I have had the cloud of Blue smoke on start up for a while now. Hasn'
t seem to affected anything and goes away when the truck warms up. My truck has close to 300Km on it though..

2003 F350, 6.0L Lariat 267,000kms, Stock except for the Pioneer in dash Nav unit with Back-up Camera... STOLEN May 16th, 2011.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Still looking for her replacement **** Got my truck back from the Insurance company.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-20-2012, 07:24 PM

FICM

My blue smoke issue cleared up after repairing the FICM. It's cheap to do and well worth the effort.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-22-2012, 01:49 PM Thread Starter

The Rest of the Story

The root cause of the blue smoke on cold start in this situation was contaminated fuel. Most likely from a fuel up, but since I had used 3 different locations since this started, it can't be pinpointed. Had two injectors clogged, but when everything was cleaned up, they "came back to life". Lesson learned........... replace your fuel filters every 3 oil changes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCamel View Post
Scanner arrived today, and it indicates a P0299 DTC. Does not trigger the CEL, but shows an MIL "pending". I have a Ford extended warranty that is good until next April, so have an appointment at the dealer for next Tuesday. I have a recommendation from another tech (not at that dealership) on the Ford dealer diesel tech that says he is excellent.

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-25-2012, 08:16 AM

How did they get cleaned up? Were they removed and cleaned or did you use an additive? I am dealing with possible clogged injector/injectors and trying to use Hot Shot Secret. Thanks
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-26-2012, 08:07 PM

hotshot is an oil additive, camel stated he had a fuel problem. HS won't do a single thing for that couldn't be done better by peeing upwind. HS may help if YOU have an oil side issue, but without more details we can only guess
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.