Brand name filters - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2009, 11:17 AM   #1 (permalink)
jsm

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Brand name filters

I was looking at the dieselfilters.com site and the three different brands...Motorcraft, Racor and Prime Guard. Seems that I read that Racor makes motorcraft or is a direct replacement. I have seen Prime Guard filters on tractors and other diesel Motors. There are always plenty of bad reviews of aftermarket parts, Does Anyone have good reviews of Racor or Prime Guard?
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2009, 11:20 AM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsm View Post
I was looking at the dieselfilters.com site and the three different brands...Motorcraft, Racor and Prime Guard. Seems that I read that Racor makes motorcraft or is a direct replacement. I have seen Prime Guard filters on tractors and other diesel Motors. There are always plenty of bad reviews of aftermarket parts, Does Anyone have good reviews of Racor or Prime Guard?
I use my local IH dealer & get Fleetgaurd from them (OEM).

OMC
Old 03-11-2009, 12:12 PM   #3 (permalink)

Can't go wrong with Fleetguard filters; I used them on my Cummins.

If you go to Diesel Filters,Additives,brake rotors, and brake pads for Chevy, Dodge and Ford Diesel Trucks you'll find that the prices are pretty reasonable.

Yes, Racor does make the Motorcraft filters. You can also get the Fram filters, if they have the patent numbers on the bottom of the filters. All the prices are roughly the same, so if you're under warranty, get the OEM stuff and be done with it, so Ford doesn't have an excuse to void your warranty.

Better safe than sorry.

2004 F-350 CC DRW LB FX4 4x4
Oxford White/Arizona Beige
King Ranch
2012 Ford bed w/Factory Reese hitch option
4.10 TracLok
Reman'd 6.0L @43,956 miles
Reman'd Turbo @54,814 miles
HPOP @154,120 miles
Radiator, water pump, t-stat & hoses @168,520 miles
Dieselsite Coolant Filter
Fleetrite ELC
Blue Spring Update
River City Diesel EGR Delete
Gutted Cat
Strokin' 6.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2009, 05:45 PM   #4 (permalink)

FIlters Filters Filters

Personally i wont use ANY FILTER Other then MOTORCRAFT OEM for my truck no sence in taking a chance.... Go to powerstrokehelp.com that guy has a bunch of videos he made and he gose over the reasons for OEM filters vs aftermarket.
Old 03-11-2009, 05:48 PM   #5 (permalink)

Racors are OEM. They make the oil filters for Motorcraft, IH and Fram Ch9549 and also make the fuel filters. Donaldson makes the air filter for Motorcraft.
69cj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2009, 10:04 AM   #6 (permalink)

My Photos: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tytrophen View Post
Personally i wont use ANY FILTER Other then MOTORCRAFT OEM for my truck no sence in taking a chance.... Go to powerstrokehelp.com that guy has a bunch of videos he made and he gose over the reasons for OEM filters vs aftermarket.
That's just it - International made the engine, and the Fleetguard is the OEM for International.

OMC
Old 03-12-2009, 01:51 PM   #7 (permalink)

Fram the same as the Motocraft OEM ?

I am having truble with beliving Fram is the same as or made by OEM..... I did an oil change before i left for the river (was in a binde) ford parts was closed so i was not able to pick up a filter so i went and grabed a FRAM, before i put it in i looked at the old OEM and the new FRAM, they were difrent sizes (slightly) ANd the Fram had this Funny plastic ring that i had to insert into the top of the oil filter housing to get the truck to accept the filter. Long storie short it made me very unconftruble on the drive out and when i got to the river i went over to ford and picked up a Motorcraft filter, pulled the funny plastic thing out and tossed the Fram filter in the trash even though it was only 350miles old.. So for ME personlay i would rather spend an extra buck or two and get the OEM and never have to think (maybe this after market filter is scre*in things Up) thats just me... I mean if you got the Cash to buy a 50K truck then why skimp out on filters and oils ? That just dont compute to me...
Old 03-13-2009, 03:21 PM   #8 (permalink)

Racor makes the OEM fuel and oil filters for both International/Navistar and Ford.
Sirius Satellite Radio
Draw-Tite Activator Brake Controller
dieseldiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2010, 11:43 PM   #9 (permalink)

My Photos: (35)
So what is the ruling on the Prime Guard Oil Filter for the Powerstroke?
2000 E350 7.3PSD, Hellwig Stablizer bar,140 Lightforce with covers, 55Watt High/Lows HID's (watch which company) , extras in the bumper. 4"Aero Turbin and 4" all the way back. 1705 program, Scangauge II,265/75/16E Toyo Open Country, My Photos http://photos.thedieselstop.com/show...ser/32366/sl/a
"FAILURE IS NOT AN OPTION"

It riles them to believe
that you perceive
the web they weave
And keep on thinking free
Alaskapsdvan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2010, 10:37 AM   #10 (permalink)

My Photos: (3)
i buy my fuel filters off ebay the dealers are asking way to much for a paper cartridge. i saw all the motorcraft videos and matched the 20 dollar fuel filters i purchase threw ebay and they are a exact copy of motor craft they are the same hieght and have the slit on bottom for air to bleed out ive been using them over 7 years without any issues . oil filter i purchase threw pepboys 13 bucks made by puralator i again matched it up with a motor craft filter same hieght and no issues
turbodieselny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2010, 03:23 PM   #11 (permalink)
OT

My Photos: (8)
A...so far I havent seen any reports on prime gurard o/f. Certainly cost ALOT less. Apparently meet oem specs, but made in china. Im not tempted, but others may be ?
Old 02-25-2010, 10:28 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tytrophen View Post
I am having truble with beliving Fram is the same as or made by OEM..... I did an oil change before i left for the river (was in a binde) ford parts was closed so i was not able to pick up a filter so i went and grabed a FRAM, before i put it in i looked at the old OEM and the new FRAM, they were difrent sizes (slightly) ANd the Fram had this Funny plastic ring that i had to insert into the top of the oil filter housing to get the truck to accept the filter. Long storie short it made me very unconftruble on the drive out and when i got to the river i went over to ford and picked up a Motorcraft filter, pulled the funny plastic thing out and tossed the Fram filter in the trash even though it was only 350miles old.. So for ME personlay i would rather spend an extra buck or two and get the OEM and never have to think (maybe this after market filter is scre*in things Up) thats just me... I mean if you got the Cash to buy a 50K truck then why skimp out on filters and oils ? That just dont compute to me...
Sounds like someone switched filters in the boxes. I have a dozen of the Frams on my shelf and they are identical to the M/C's and I/H's to include the patent numbers.
2005 Lariet, 6.0, 3:73 1969 Mach 1, 428 CJ
1971 Triumph Trident(SOLD)
2007 Road King flhp
2007 Jazz 5er, 11k
173rd Airborne
69cj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2010, 02:21 AM   #13 (permalink)

just did an oilchange and easy as hell but was a 50/50 crap shoot on if it was a ford filter or aftermarket i went with it being a ford one because its an 07 didnt think theyd toss the ford cap was wrong, and it was after hours so couldnt get the proper filtercap ended up a buddy calling in a favour and his friend opened up there UAP store bought there cheap filter and installed it untill i can get the proper cap

couldnt reuse the old filter when unscrewed it seperated from the cap leaveing a gap which would mean unfiltered oil in the engine

if one of these "cheap" filters ever seperated between normal oilchanges how would you know ? you wouldnt so id prefer to spend a couple extra bucks and a filter that fit snug in the oilhousing.
LayinHp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2010, 05:18 PM   #14 (permalink)

I stick with the motorcraft ones i saw the video from powerstrokehelp and makes sense he shows the collapsing filters and how the good aftermarket ones are different heights for a few bucks a will stick with the ford filters.
topgun35 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2010, 09:20 AM   #15 (permalink)

Watch the video in my signature line and then decide on which filter. Why take a chance on damaging an engine over something as cheap as a oil filter or fuel filter.
Bilstein 5100 Shocks, Timbren Overloads, Husky Mudflaps, Hella 700FF Driving Lights, Michelin LTX AT2 Rubber, Dieselsite Coolant Filter

2004 Mustang GT
Parts Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.