Bypass EGR Cooler? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2008, 11:56 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Bypass EGR Cooler?

Yesterday I got off the highway after about a 25 mile trip and the truck was blowring out a huge cloud of white smoke. I made it about a mile and the temp gauge shot through the roof.

I pulled over and let it cool down and added in a little over two gallons of water to the cooling system, I made it about another 3 miles to my parents house without it over heating and it was blowing just a small amount of white smoke. Arrived at my parents house and added in another 2 gallons of water to it. You can smell the coolant burning out the exhaust and it drips out of the tailpipe.

Background, one week ago while troubleshooting a squeak from the engine I plugged in the EGR. Turns out the squeak was coming from the degauss cap which I replaced. I also flushed the coolant that day and refilled with 50/50 mix.

Question is can I bypass the egr cooler somehow so coolant never goes into there so I don't have to get it fixed ? Maybe my thinking is wrong but I would think that If I lost a headgasket that the engine would have hydrolocked.

I have no loss of power, just the coolant disappearing at a high rate with the white smoke and no signs of coolant in the oil.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by RDG; 07-23-2009 at 06:41 PM. Reason: rules violation/ tampering with egr system
kc2kgt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2008, 08:28 PM   #2 (permalink)

Chances are your oil cooler is bad (plugged) also, which is typically what causes the EGR cooler to fail. This sounds most likely since you say you just flushed the coolant system a week ago.

This is one of the reasons I installed a Dieselsite coolant filter, is to try to keep the system clean.

I am not aware of any way to bypass the EGR cooler.

Past 2002 F-350 Lariat, Supercab 4X4, Toreador
Red, 7.3L, Auto, DRW, Fully Loaded.

Past 94.5 F-250 Lariat, Supercab 4X4, 5 spd 7.3L PSD.

Last edited by DRJ48; 08-24-2008 at 09:13 PM.
DRJ48 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2008, 10:31 PM   #3 (permalink)

That's what I was afraid of, but figured it was worth a shot to see if it could just be bypassed. I did quite a bit of searching on the forum earlier today and it looks like the egr cooler and oil cooler need to be replaced.

I have found the directions on http://www.motorcraftservice.com on how to do the work. Does anyone happen to have a list of all of the parts needed? The directions say which o-rings, washers, etc that should be discarded but there is no reference as to what part # to use as a replacement.

I would prefer to take it to the large truck dealer here in KC, but money is a little tight now and will probably have to attempt this myself. I'm no expert mechanic, but am pretty mechanically inclined.

Thank you.
Old 07-23-2009, 03:09 PM   #4 (permalink)

maybe not the EGR?

I am not sure if your truck has a turbo, but it sure sounds like a blown seal in the turbo is letting the coolant leak in there.

I saw the same problem on my buddy's 95 eclipse.
soda_pop503 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2009, 04:03 PM   #5 (permalink)

the turbos on the 6.0 are not cooled by coolant. you have a bad egr cooler and while your in there do the oil cooler i garuntee its plugged up. thats what causes most of the problems with the egr cooler.
AutoMeter Autolite II Gauges
SCT x3 programmer with spartan tunes

Real courage is found, not in the willingness to risk death, but in the willingness to stand, alone if necessary, against the ignorant and disapproving herd. Jon Roland, 1976
purplehorn1977 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.