Today work progressed well. Although I'm pretty slow at the best of times.
I cleaned out the bolt hole on the rocker boxes with a tap. There was a lot of sand in the holes from when the were blasted.
Exhaust manifold installed on the head. I ordered some exhaust gaskets from Tousley Ford on recommendation from the members on the org. Thanks
Rocker box and lifting eye installed, along with my home made lifting bracket.
Engine ready to receive head. new OEM head gasket, started is installed, transmission fill tube in place
Head installed, ARP studs torqued, fulcrums, pushrods installed, and injectors in place.
A pic of a new oring kit for the injectors.
Next on the list is the HPOP. Orings removed, ready for new ones.
HPOP with new top oring and one piece SCT.
The passenger side was a lot easier than the drivers side. Before I set the drivers head in place I set in place the exhaust pipe that goes from the manifolds to the turbo. I also remover the wipers, cowlings, and a small bracket that the cowling wire bundle sat on. This allowed me a little more room for the hoist chain.
Here is a pic with the new oil cooler and IPR installed, also in place are the oil rails. The updated standpipes are sitting in the rear hole and dummy plugs in the forward hole. they were later torqued down as I needed a 12mm Allen socket to complete the operation.
I left the glow plugs out and was able to turn the engine by hand for about 3/4 of a rotation. It felt like the engine was hitting a brick. I back it up, then went forward to see if I could make it move further. It took about six tries, but I was able to get the motor the rotated. I continued to rotate for about five turns.
My question here is did I hurt a push rod by forcing the engine back and forth by hand. I'm wondering if I should have waited for the lifter to bleed down.