Cam sensor - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2013, 12:06 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (8)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Cam sensor

I hope one of you 6.0 gurus will know the answer to this. How many pulses does the cam sensor generate for each revolution of the camshaft (not crankshaft).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2013, 09:40 AM   #2 (permalink)

150 views & no replies? Someone must know the answer.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:47 AM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
The cam sensor reads off of a pin pressed into the crank so your gonna see one pulse per crank revoloution irregardless of how many revoloutions of the cam.

Not shure what yer trying to figure out, but in 51 years of working on diesels I have never seen a diesel jump time. They are gear to gear no chain to streach and jump over.

I have seen gears break useually from trying to eat a bolt but once thaat happens the engine locks up because it can't turn with a foreign object wedged in the gears.

Just for reference the timeing gears are mounted on the back of the engine not the front.

This will at least get things started.
dannyboy950 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 11:00 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyboy950 View Post
The cam sensor reads off of a pin pressed into the crank so your gonna see one pulse per crank revoloution irregardless of how many revoloutions of the cam.

Not shure what yer trying to figure out, but in 51 years of working on diesels I have never seen a diesel jump time. They are gear to gear no chain to streach and jump over.

I have seen gears break useually from trying to eat a bolt but once thaat happens the engine locks up because it can't turn with a foreign object wedged in the gears.

Just for reference the timeing gears are mounted on the back of the engine not the front.

This will at least get things started.
I appreciate your response. If I understand you correctly, you’re saying the cam sensor on a 6.0 is triggered from the CRANK? This begs the question: why is it called a “cam position sensor”?

The reason I ask is somewhat unique, but suffice it to say, I need to mimic all the signals a 6.0 feeds to the PCM. I know about the crank sensor, which — if I’m not mistaken — is a 58 tooth reluctor wheel. (actually, it’s a 60 tooth, but 2 of the teeth are missing; ostensibly to tell the PCM where TDC is.)
Old 01-14-2013, 11:37 AM   #5 (permalink)

The crank info is correct, the cam pin is rotated about 180 deg out but I don't remember exactly what deg. this allows the pcm to calculate cam crank relatioship.

I am not the best source of info on this, mebe one of the current FORD techs will chime in on this and give ya more accurate info.

A lot of the Ford techs like to prove me wrong so this should get the ball rolling for ya.

Sorry I got to go to the doctor for more tests. I wish ya luck.
dannyboy950 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 12:12 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyboy950 View Post
The crank info is correct, the cam pin is rotated about 180 deg out but I don't remember exactly what deg. this allows the pcm to calculate cam crank relatioship.

I am not the best source of info on this, mebe one of the current FORD techs will chime in on this and give ya more accurate info.

A lot of the Ford techs like to prove me wrong so this should get the ball rolling for ya.

Sorry I got to go to the doctor for more tests. I wish ya luck.
Thank you again. Maybe someone else will chime in.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:31 PM   #7 (permalink)

The cam has a pin pressed into the end of it. The CMP sensor will detect the pin as it passes and generate 1 pulse / cam rotation.

2006 F-250 PSD, Lariat
Mods: All the usual stuff

"Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry" - Mark Twain
dieselmac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 08:52 PM   #8 (permalink)

dieselmac is correct. The CMP sensor reads one pulse per camshaft revolution. The CMP creates a magnetic field, the pin on the camshaft (not the crankshaft) breaks the field.
Evel486 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 09:05 PM   #9 (permalink)

Thank you gentlemen, that's kinda what I thought.

So, to recap: The crank delivers 58 pulses per crank revolution, & the cam delivers 1 pulse per cam revolution (or in other words, 1 cam pulse per 2 crank revolutions).

Is that correct?
Old 01-14-2013, 10:41 PM   #10 (permalink)

You got it.

2006 F-250 PSD, Lariat
Mods: All the usual stuff

"Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry" - Mark Twain
dieselmac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.