cam sensor failure?? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2007, 07:52 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (9)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
cam sensor failure??

A friend of mine just called me and said his 03 6.0 died in traffic. He called the Ford dealer and he said the cps may have went bad. I have never heard of this on a 6.0. He said the tach showed no rpms while turning over the motor. Has anyone had a cps failure and does the tach not show any rpms like a 7.3 when it is bad?

Chris

97 F-350 CCLB BTS built trans and motor w/cryoed block,rods,and Mahle pistons, Hypermax rev kit and inconel valves, 238/100 hybrid injectors, ARP head studs, WOP bottom end girdle and 3" intakes, BTS twin HPOP's and modded H2E. Tuned by Cale@Tyrant Diesel
Truck pics at ytee1100's photos and albums on webshots

SLAPS Treasurer

<font color="red"> #5 </font>
ytee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2007, 09:13 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (4)
Re: cam sensor failure??

I have yet to replace any CKP or CPS sensors on the 6.0s. I have found many wire chafes that will cause the stalling issue.
FMT
2000 Excursion Limited 4x4 Dark Satin Green Arizona Beige 7.3 DIT, AXDO, 3.73 LS, DP Tuner F5, TERMINATOR II w R-IPR, Adjustable Boost Regulator, Turbomaster, EBPV Delete, Air Dog, ITP Regulated Fuel Return, Fuel Cooler, Tags 1&2, Harpooned Tank, Magnaflow XL Exhaust w Aeroturbine 4040L, Sonnax/Tricumulator, 8 Autometer Sport Comp 4 Gauge A Pillar 4 Gauge Overhead, Ford APCM, Crimestopper Remote Starter With Remote Fast Idle, Ford AIS w Zoodad, W Code Front Modified B Code Rear springs, Rancho RS9000X, Rancho 5406 Stabilizer, Hellwig Rear Sway Bar, BFG Rugged Trail TA, V10 Trans Cooler w Dual Electric Pusher Fans, Coolant Filter, IAH Delete, (((XM))) Line Of Fire Light, Ford Cab Lights, 05 Headlights w GOS Conversion Harness, Jimmi Jammers, 03 Lighted Painted Tow Mirrors w C-BETR, PSD Badges, Pullrite Hitch, Prodigy Brake Controller, Born 01/29/00
fordmastertech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2007, 10:22 PM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)

BTW, the CPS is really called a CMP. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Take Care
Old 03-14-2007, 08:35 AM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)

This engine has both a crank position sensor (CKP) and a cam position sensor (CMP).

As FordMastertech said, I have yet to hear of a failure in either sensor. Oil leaking from the sensor o-rings, yeah, but no failed sensors.
Manual idle-up switch
(placing power onto PCM PTO wire)
Fumoto valve
Skweeker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2007, 10:35 PM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)

I had one go bad on my 2004. I was traveling 60 mph and the truck shut off suddenly. I lost power everything and had to coast off the road etc. It would not turn over at all. I was in the middle of nowhere hunting but luckily my cell phone worked and the dealer towed it in and replaced the cam position sensor. That was at around 8k miles and I am now almost 28k and have not had any other issues.

Mark
2004 F-350 FX-4 SRW LB Crew Cab. 35" Goodyear MT/R, Leveling Kit, New Grill, AFE Intake, Tinted Windows, Putco Wheel to Wheel 4" Bars (Love Them and they're rare), Alpine/BostonAcoustic Stereo with 15.2" DVD setup, Spray-in BedLiner, Chrome Emblems, Tekonsha Prodigy Brake Controller
http://photos.thedieselstop.com/data...G_0924-med.jpg
Norcuron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.