Is it the Camshaft position Sensor that is bad? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2010, 12:19 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Is it the Camshaft position Sensor that is bad?

I have a 04 F250 with the 6.0 in it. It is eating up the fuel and the truck will surge at times. The rpms will go up to 1000 or higher and stay that way. If i turn the truck off, it will go back to normal for a while. It is running a little rought. I took it to a shop and they plugged it in and said it had low fuel pressure, which can be dirty fuel filters, camshaft Position Sensor, Crankshaft Position Sensor, Injection pressure Sensor or the Map Sensor Hose. Didn't tell me very much, except alot of checking. I have changed the fuel filters. I see that the Camshaft position sensor is a little bit of work to get to on this engine. Where to start?
2004 F250 Super Duty 6.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2010, 12:28 PM   #2 (permalink)

Every single Ford diesel I have owned has had the cam timing sensor go out ... but every time, it shut down and had to be towed. Doubt if this helps ... but that is my experience with cam timing sensors.
Old 09-08-2010, 02:33 PM   #3 (permalink)

Another guys on here is having the same problem it sounds like. I replaced my cps and havent had any problems since, someone on the other post said it could also be the icp... just a thought.
BigConz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2010, 09:27 PM   #4 (permalink)

well i just took my truck in for some work under warranty. it was runnin rough. threw codes for two injectors cam and crank sensor...idk whats up with it
born2farm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2010, 12:36 PM   #5 (permalink)

The camshaft position sensor on a 6.0L is pretty reliable. Your issue sounds more like the ICP sensor. Is your ICP behind the turbo or on the passenger valve cover?
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARP studs;OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Ball joints;Coolant filter;High-Idle mod;RACCCV6000;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;SynchroMax xfer case;Fumoto valve;Harpooned;CPOhighwayProducts toolbox;tracrac;Fox Weatherboots;Wet Okole Seat Covers;BriteBox;Re-flashed;Quadzilla Recon XZT Fuel Press;Blue FPR spring;DashDAQ;PHP FICM;RiffRaff boots;DCPower250A;PowerInverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;One-piece HPOP fitting;D-plugs&standpipes;BPD Billet WaterPump;SCT w/ Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra;DuraTracs
bismic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2010, 09:04 PM   #6 (permalink)

hmmmm to me it sounds like they are guessing. low fuel pressure would be either plugged filters or buggered pump from running with plugged filters for too long. i can't see how all the crap has anything to do with low F.P.
nitrogen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2010, 09:20 AM   #7 (permalink)

The 6.0 is not like the 7.3 that had a problematic CPS. The 6.0 uses two different sensors and it compares them so a "CPS problem" is very rare. I would take a run at what Bismic said. It sounds most logical and you can change the ICP yourself. It looks like a spark plug sticking out the center of the valve cover on the passenger side. Good luck let us know if it worked out for you.

2008 FX4 F250 CCSB w/ 6.4L PSD - Edge Insight, H13 Bi-HIDs, custom coolant filter, "all deleted", fumoto.
rock_doctor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2010, 12:28 AM   #8 (permalink)

I took my truck in and had them hook it up, it is the ICP sensor. That was the easy part, I buy the sensor and go home to put it on. That is the tricky part. For a 2004 F250 6.0 engine, the sensor can be in one of two places, which I did not know. The mechanic I went to and had the code reader hooked up told me the ICP sensor was where my EGR sensor was. So I take off the EGR sensor believing it is the ICP sensor, they look alike and have the same three wires coming out of them and same wire hook up, but different thread, the EGR has fine thread and the ICP have course threads. So back to the Ford store to check on the part and find out why they do not match. Ford gives me a 2004 sensor diagram for my truck, and I found out I pulled out the EGR sensor. Problem number 2, they give the diagram for the 2004 engine, not the 2003, so I am looking for an ICP sensor and it is not there. That is when I found out about the sticker on the valve cover. If you look on the passenger side valve cover you have a sticker that is either red or blue. Red means the engine is a 2003 engine and the sensor in under the turbo and some work to get to it. If the sticker is blue, you have a 2004 engine and the sensor is on the passenger valve cover area. I have the red sticker, so I could not get the part changed out yet. Thank you for all the information has been a lot of help.
2004 F250 Super Duty 6.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2010, 05:20 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2004 F250 Super Duty 6.0 View Post
I took my truck in and had them hook it up, it is the ICP sensor. That was the easy part, I buy the sensor and go home to put it on. That is the tricky part. For a 2004 F250 6.0 engine, the sensor can be in one of two places, which I did not know.
Hmmm - I covered that in post #5, and so did RockDoctor.

Lots of posts around on on how to change out the ICP (2003) that is behind the turbo. I can post links to the instructions and I can even post pics.

Are you interested in them???
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARP studs;OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Ball joints;Coolant filter;High-Idle mod;RACCCV6000;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;SynchroMax xfer case;Fumoto valve;Harpooned;CPOhighwayProducts toolbox;tracrac;Fox Weatherboots;Wet Okole Seat Covers;BriteBox;Re-flashed;Quadzilla Recon XZT Fuel Press;Blue FPR spring;DashDAQ;PHP FICM;RiffRaff boots;DCPower250A;PowerInverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;One-piece HPOP fitting;D-plugs&standpipes;BPD Billet WaterPump;SCT w/ Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra;DuraTracs

Last edited by bismic; 09-13-2010 at 05:24 AM.
Old 09-13-2010, 10:27 AM   #10 (permalink)

please post links on changing the icp sensor I got a 2003 f-250 6.0 that wont start died while I was coming to a stop light had to be towed home
javier62 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2010, 11:26 AM   #11 (permalink)

How to replace early ICP - with pictures
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.