Can I remove my turbo without taking off the intake manifold? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2011, 08:52 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Can I remove my turbo without taking off the intake manifold?

Is it possible to replace the turbo without removing the intake manifold?

The reason I need to know this is because I would rather not have to lift both the intake and the turbo into place at the same time. I had trouble removing the intake manifold before unbolting the turbo. The tab on the back of the intake that bolts to the EGR cooler would not clear the turbo, so after unbolting the turbo I slid the intake manifold out from under it. If I can get the turbo on after the intake is all buttoned up this will make everything a lot easier.
bustedknuckles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2011, 10:23 PM   #2 (permalink)

yes you can ...i did it just be prepared for a wrestling match where you get bloody knuckles and curse....I wrestled mine for a couple hours....went inside to decompress....came back out a little later and it came right out....good luck
NGHTRGR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2011, 07:02 AM   #3 (permalink)

I have taken my turbo out 3 times and never even considered also taking out the intake manifold. I take out the air intake and the CAC piping. Then I find a comfortable position to lay down on the engine while I take the bolts and clamps off. I don't have a major problem getting it out, I always fight it going back in.
03 XLT F350, CC, Toreador red/silver ,6.0, Auto 4X4, Extang Tonneau. Magnaflow xl turbo back, homemade headlight harness, VR shackles ,harpooned tank, 24" wipers, X-Monitor,FS bypass filter, Energy Suspension sway bar replacement bushings, Sinister coolant filter,HID fogs, scanguage.
alex3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2011, 11:26 AM   #4 (permalink)

AFAIK you need to take of the turbo before you take off the intake manafold...don't ya??? Taking off the intake without first removing the turbo looks like it would be TOUGH.
Banks Stuff (CAC, Exhaust)
EDGE CTS
SCT x3 w/Eric's stuff
Stock air box and filter
ScangaugeII
Fleetrite ELC, Rev X
(more improvements in the works)
ryqster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2011, 11:31 AM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
Remove the push in retainer buttons for the wiring harness conduit that is above turbo and wire it up above using wire hooked onto the wiper blade arm.
Remove the exhaust pipe band clamp and then push the pipe back and wedge a 2x2 between pipe and back of intake to keep the pipe back out of way.
Remove the oil feed line and the VGT solenoid wire. Remove the intercooler and in let hoses. Remove the exhaust inlet (Y pipe) band clamp.
Remove the three 10mm hex bolts for turbo. pry up the pass side of turbo as that facilitates the exh inlet pipe freeing itself from turbo as the that piep points at a downward angle. With the pass side of turbo angled up now pry up the driver's side of turbo. You have to lift as the turbo drain tube sticks up into the bottom of turbo and turbo has to be lifted above that so it will slide to pass side to come out.
36 feet on the floor Elite/Outlaw LQ horse trailer.
36 foot double tandem axle flatbed trailer.
36 foot Sooner 6 horse large dressing/ mid tack.
2003 EB Expedition 141K
2004 Volvo V70R AWD-high miler in fleet, 205K
jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.