The Diesel Stop banner

Can you simply unplug the EGR in a 6.0L?

58K views 11 replies 11 participants last post by  Shadetreeruss 
#1 ·
A friend of mine told me he unplugged the EGR valve under the hood about a year ago and the truck runs great.

#2 ·
yes. there is alot of conflict though. some say it will disable the fan other say it wont. depending on the year you may also have a check engine light. unplugging the egr is helpful but does not cure the problems associated with the egr cooler though. on my 04 i left it unplugged. i havent fooled with it on my 06 though.

#3 ·
You can but shouldn't! It does not disable the fan but does not allow it to perform correctly. 2 different techs have tested this on their own trucks. You will not get the correct rpm from the fan!

#4 ·
What about EGR delete??

So what happens if you install a delete kit?? There is nothing to plug in, then. If it's an early enough truck that doesn't throw the check engine light, so you don't install a tuner, does this cause problems with the fan, too??

#5 ·
Yes.

I am installing a delete kit on mine and I will leave the EGR valve in its place and plugged in just so the fan and, in my case, the turbo vanes, cycle correctly. The latest flash on my truck has the vanes cycling at idle.

I have had my EGR unplugged for over 100,000 miles and it wasn't until I was towing back from the Dunes last fall when I found out that the fan doesn't work correctly. I almost popped the motor by overheating.

When I plug in now, I flash-boil my coolant and blow it all over my motor. I believe that my EGR Cooler is leaking coolant into the intake and the EGR Valve is allowing it into the cylinder when it opens. Then the heads are being lifted by the hydro pressure in the cylinder and flash boiling my coolant.

I have 193,000 miles on my truck with almost 140,000 of those running ID's SCT Extreme Street. Knock on wood, it's been a good truck.

Dave

#6 ·
I recently posted that I cleaned my EGR successfully. All seemed well at the time. And even for a few tows. We just pulled up into VT and I had intermittent bucking. Not as bad as last year when the Dealer had to change the EGR but enough to be aggravating.

I am going to pull it out again to see how bad it gunked up.

I am curious if the EGR is just a poor designed component and it fails rapidly?
Do I just need to buy another one and not try cleaning this one again?

Is there another contributing factor to this bucking?

This is the straw that is breaking the camel's back. No local dealers can even talk to this issue. I rely solely on this forum. Nothing more depressing than these issues when trying to enjoy a weekend.

I am glad that I learned above not to unplug as I climb steep hills and drive temps up to 230 EOT so I need that fan.

#7 ·
IMO, EGR's on any diesel engine are a bad idea. Their purpose is to reduce oxides of nitrogen by lowering temps in the combustion chamber. But that brings on issues of its own. Lower temps create more soot. The soot ends up back in the EGR valve, clogging it up and creating a whole host of other issues. :brickwall: That's why so many companies have made small fortunes on delete kits.

Reactions: bismic
#9 ·
If you are worried about the fan when unplugging your EGR valve delete your computer fan and switch to bulletproof diesel adapter and put on a 1997 7.3 manual clutch, your fan will bolt right on to the clutch many are finding that it works far better when pulling heavy loads keeping temperatures down Air conditioning works better to ha ha ?

#11 ·
Just a thought if you find a station with high quality fuel 45 to 48 cetane then add archoil Diesel treatment it will add another 4 to 8 points, without going into detail you could get an easy hundred thousand on an EGR valve, A good fuel with biodiesel add lubrication to the injectors in the end you will have a much better running engine and have injectors that go 200,000 and beyond!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.