Cetane booster? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2005, 09:22 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Cetane booster?

Dealer is telling me to run cetane booster to help smooth it out a little on cold starts. Does cetane booster do anything or is it just another snake oil? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img] I already run Howes anti-gel all year just half the amount in the summer. I also run Howes Meaner Cleaner one tank just before I change the fuel filters.

Tom
2003.25 6.0, Born 2/03, 5R110W, XLT Dually Super Cab 4X4, 4:10LS, AIC, full set of gauges, Line-X Bedliner, Full MBRP exhaust, New turbo 5/3/05, 6 injectors (1,2,3,4,5,7,) 12/29/05, Inductive flash 3/8/07, .
2004 Titanium 5th 28E33, 2 Honda EU-2000's.
TC88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2005, 09:35 AM   #2 (permalink)

Re: Cetane booster?

From what I gather on here, the higher the cetane, the quicker to ignite.

Running thinner oil will help too.
Old 12-19-2005, 09:51 AM   #3 (permalink)

Cetane booster isn't snake oil. It actually boosts the cetane level unlike octane boosters that really don't do as much as people think, for gas motors.

I like Stanadyne Performance Additive.

"Treat me good, I'll treat you better; treat me bad, I'll treat you worse." - Sonny Barger
FamilyRide is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2005, 10:32 AM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)

I will second Familyride, you can't go wrong with Stanadyne products.

Louie
2005 F-250 XLT SUPER CAB 4X4, TOURQESHIFT, 6.0 PSD, 3.73 LS, SRW, 8ft BED, PLOW PKG, FOG LIGHTS, UPFITTER SWITCHES, SWITCH ON THE FLY, TBC, 17" FORGED ALUMINUM WHEELS, BORES BUMPER GUIDES, GROTE L.E.D RUNNING BOARD LIGHTS, CAB LIGHTS, GROVER STUTTERTONE AIR HORNS, A.R.E. Z SERIES FIBERGLASS CAP, WEDGEWOOD BLUE/SILVER BORN 3/21/05

2005 Dutchmen 31BK Loaded W/Fiberglass pkg 7600lbs Dry
Louie901 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2005, 01:42 PM   #5 (permalink)

A side question...Can you guys suggests a lubricant additive to replace the loss of the sulfur in the new diesel fuel that is supposed to be release in January. I have an old mechanically injected diesel that I want to keep running in top condition. Thanks

mark

2008 FX4 F250 CCSB w/ 6.4L PSD - Edge Insight, H13 Bi-HIDs, custom coolant filter, "all deleted", fumoto.
rock_doctor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2005, 02:55 PM   #6 (permalink)

My Photos: (22)

[ QUOTE ]
A side question...Can you guys suggests a lubricant additive to replace the loss of the sulfur in the new diesel fuel that is supposed to be release in January. I have an old mechanically injected diesel that I want to keep running in top condition. Thanks

mark

[/ QUOTE ]

Two additives that have better lubication properties than most off the shelf additives are FP60 from http://www.lubecontrol.com/ and Shaeffer's SoyShield http://www.schaefferoil.com/datapdf/139A.pdf

Hammer

I still have the:
2001 F250 Lariat CC/SB 4x4 7.3 auto

TERMINATOR HPOS...Ceramic coated Garrett GTP-38R with BBHA & GDS outlet...DP-tuner Big Oil Program...ITPdiesel Fueling and overboost regulator...6.0 CAC...AFE Stage-II PG7... Magnaflow 3.5dp/4exh...5R110 TC, BTS VB, John Wood pump mods, & V10 cooler...Schaeffer's 9000 5w-40...Oilguard bypass...and other stuff

On the shelf collecting Dust: <font color="green"> Stainless Grill Overlay </font>

<font color="red"> Carolina PSD club </font>

Get Your Tuning Here: www.DP-tuner.com and your Fuel kits here: www.ITPdiesel.com
TheHammer69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2005, 02:58 PM   #7 (permalink)

I think the Stanadyne mentioned above adds lubricity to the Diesel, besides increasing the Cetane number and lowering the gel point. I hope it does all these things. I use it every tankful.
#2 93 F-150 XLT, 5 Liter, Auto, 4X4, X Cab. 251,000 miles. Uses no oil between changes.
montanafan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2005, 03:44 PM   #8 (permalink)

My Photos: (2)

Where can you find Stanadyne?
2006 F250 Lariat CC SB 2WD Dark Toreador Red w/ Arizona Beige accent, Captain Chairs, polished tubular steps, moonroof, power slider, camper pkg., 6 disc CD, adj. pedals, upfitter switches, reverse vehicle aid sensors, tow command, 12.5k tow hitch, billet grille inserts & Leer color-matched tonneau cover.

1969 Mustang SportsRoof
1969 Mustang Grande 428CJ 1 of 37
1989 Mustang GT Conv. 21k miles

http://www.cardomain.com/id/69grandecj
69grandecj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2005, 04:05 PM   #9 (permalink)

My Photos: (16)

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've purchased here and have been happy with their service and prices. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
2006 F350 - Amarillo Package,loaded with all the toys, 4" MBRP cat back exhaust, Autometer EGT gauge, Viper 791XV auto start/cool down timer/alarm, Pioneer AVIC-D3 navigation/XM Radio/Sirius, 2.5" Tuff Country Leveling kit, KC Hilights front & rear, Dieselsite.com coolant filter, SkyJacker dual steering stabilizer, Firestone Ride Rite airbags w/onboard compressor, Kleinn Train Horns, Bilsteins all the way around, Recon LED's in the back, Programmed with the SuperChips 1805 Tuner always set on Tow Safe for a little extra get up and go.

30' Cardinal 30TS 5th wheel. The weekend home away from home.

"The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese."
overfly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2005, 06:05 PM   #10 (permalink)

Here's some Cetane info

Cetane number

Cetane number or CN is to diesel fuel what octane rating is to gasoline. It is a measure of the fuel's combustion quality.
Cetane is an alkane molecule that ignites very easily under compression, so it was assigned a cetane number of 100. All other hydrocarbons in diesel fuel are indexed to cetane as to how well they ignite under compression. The cetane number therefore measures how quickly the fuel starts to burn (auto-ignites) under diesel engine conditions. Since there are hundreds of components in diesel fuel, with each having a different cetane quality, the overall cetane number of the diesel is the average cetane quality of all the components.

A fuel with a high cetane number starts to burn shortly after it is injected into the cylinder; it has a short ignition delay period. Conversely, a fuel with a low cetane number resists auto-ignition and has a longer ignition delay period.

To measure cetane number properly is rather difficult, as it requires burning the fuel in a special, hard-to-find, diesel engine called a Cooperative Fuel Research (CFR) engine, under standard test conditions. For most practical purposes, people control quality using the Cetane Index, which is a calculated number based on the density and distillation range of the oil. There are various versions of this, depending on whether you use Metric or Imperial units, and how many distillation points are used. These days most oil companies use the '4-point method'.

There is very little actual cetane in diesel fuel. Diesel engines run just fine with a CN between 45 to 50. There is no performance or emission advantage when the CN is raised past 50; after this point, the fuel's performance hits a plateau.

Diesel at the pump can be found in two CN ranges: 40-46 for regular diesel, and 45-50 for premium. Premium diesel has additives to improve CN and lubricity, detergents to clean the fuel injectors and minimize carbon deposits, water dispersants, and other additives depending on geographical and seasonal needs.
10,000 miles no issues
2003 6.0 Excursion Ltd. 4 X 4 Mineral Grey
vehicle date 1/1/03 engine date 1/28/03 (Ind. plant)
delivery date 2/23/03
FACTORY FLASH
current mileage 54,000
TRADE IN DATE 10/10/05
cal lic. PSTROKX
2001 Escape (wife's ride)
1997 F-350 Crew Cab 4 X 4 7.5
1994 F-250 Super Cab 4 X 4 7.5
WILBER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2005, 10:12 PM   #11 (permalink)

Thank you for the information. I appreciate it.

mark

2008 FX4 F250 CCSB w/ 6.4L PSD - Edge Insight, H13 Bi-HIDs, custom coolant filter, "all deleted", fumoto.
rock_doctor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2005, 11:26 AM   #12 (permalink)

Location: Lumberton, Republic of Texas , Hardin County . and US of A

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You can get it at this link. They used to be a sponsor of this site. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img] there is a chart on their Stanadyne products that shows what each does.

http://www.dieselpage.com/additive.htm

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]= Ed
2005 LTD. X PSD 2WD FIBERGLASS RUNNINGBOARDS; SUNVISOR: REAR DEFLECTOR

<font color="00FF00">BENEFACTOR**<font color="red">NRA</font>**<font color="red">LIFER</font>**<font color="red">TX.ST.RIFLE ASSOC</font>**<font color="red">GOA</font>**<font color="00FF00">MEMBER</font>**<font color="00FF00">NRA/ILA</font>**<font color="red"> I VOTE ! DO YOU ? </font>**QUACK*QUACK ! ! !
<font color="00FF00">~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~</font>
H ED S is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2005, 09:10 PM   #13 (permalink)

Here's one more...

http://www.diamonddiesel.com/store/index.html

I just ordered from them - they ship free (UPS ground) if you buy a case and it was still the cheapest price I found. I put my order in at 3:00 PM and it went out that day.

Alem

Traded:
'08 F250 Lariat CC 4x4 SRW 6.4L Oxford White.

Traded:
'03 F250 Lariat CC 4x4 SRW 6.0L Oxford White, XM Commander (Terk), Midland 75-830 CB, MileMarker 9000lb Electric Winch w/quick disconnect, Draw Tite Front Mount Hitch, Go Rhino StepGuard grill guard, American Racing Atlas wheels.
boukaal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2005, 02:23 AM   #14 (permalink)

May I suggest one of the best fuel additive...Soy Biodiesel in a 7% mixture, bumps the Cetane value, BEST LUBRICATE out there, Cleans the fuel system better then all the rest on the market, and has a VERY clean burn. This stuff is a wonder drug for diesels.
2000 F250 SC 4A SB OEM TC, OEM Trans, OEM Turbo, OEM Injectors, OEM Airbox, OEM CAC, Quad Pod W/4 Autometers, 3 Guage cubby-hole, Jody-isized, Fuel System Mods, Mag Hy-Tec, Schaefers 9000, Transgo, Interior is soundproofed, 3.5" DP SS XL Magnaflow, LPG, 106k miles, NVK5 to MNMO, 2200 WATT BI-AMP, 18"s, Best MPG-22.80, Best MPT-760 miles.
FORD-DIESEL.COM MODS--Heater Hose Cutoff Valve, T/C lock, EBV brake, MIAH Plug, QD's removed, Wrapped CAC Tubes, Double Clamped Coolant Hoses, Zoodad, Relocated License plate, painless fuse box. Other RSB Mods
388HP 818Ft.Lbs.@ 130MPH. 4th gear dyno run, 2.1 60, Home-Made Traction bars.
This is a Street truck, 18+MPG(No LP), 14.2 at 98mph, 13 sec Motor, 14 sec Truck(NO Traction)
2004/03 CC SB Auto 6L W/OCT flash, 19+MPG, 20%Bio, AFE, Magnaflow XL SS 4" Exhaust, 75K, Heater By-pass mod, 21.1 MPG best.
2006.5 Jetta DSG 14K 41MPG Best
2005.5 VW Jetta 1.9 TDI 49MPG Best 73K
Kubota 7800 30 HP Hydrostatic 4X4
All Diesels
1969 Mach1 351C 4M 9"
Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2005, 04:19 AM   #15 (permalink)
jdk

Although I know BioDiesel is great for lubricity I don't think it bumps the cetane value. It's my understanding that BioD has a lower cetane value than normal diesel, but I could be wrong.
04 HP twin turbo Cobra - sold

Current:
06 F-250 PowerStroke Diesel 4x4 Lariat [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
jdk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.