Changing the 6.0 fuel filter is enough to..... - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2005, 11:14 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Changing the 6.0 fuel filter is enough to.....

make one seriously consider a, dare I say it, Ram or Bowtie. It was my first change. I did all the things suggested on the forum (less tnan 1/4 tank, nose down hill, drain plug out yada! yada!) but it is still a pain in the a** to get to, especially with the extra drive shaft, and I got diesel fuel all over every thing within ten feet of the truck including me. Oh! and fuel never stopped dribbling from the filter housing the entire time. Makes me pine for my old 7.3. There is a special place in hell for whoever dreamed up that fiasco. Shoulda waited until the weekend. Now I'll have to smell like diesel until saturday.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2005, 11:23 AM   #2 (permalink)

Re: Changing the 6.0 fuel filter is enough to.....

You do lose a little bit of fuel but I'll still take one of these ANY day over a Dodge diesel. I think those a royal pain in the rear!
Old 10-04-2005, 01:23 PM   #3 (permalink)

Well, first off the nose should be slightly up hill not down, and the fuel cap should be removed to remove any pressure in the system. I did mine for the first time this weekend and had no problems at all. It only drained about a pint out with none getting on me. Only took about 30 min to change both filters. Easy as can be.
Old 10-04-2005, 01:38 PM   #4 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
make one seriously consider a, dare I say it, Ram or Bowtie. It was my first change. I did all the things suggested on the forum (less tnan 1/4 tank, nose down hill, drain plug out yada! yada!) but it is still a pain in the a** to get to, especially with the extra drive shaft, and I got diesel fuel all over every thing within ten feet of the truck including me. Oh! and fuel never stopped dribbling from the filter housing the entire time. Makes me pine for my old 7.3. There is a special place in hell for whoever dreamed up that fiasco. Shoulda waited until the weekend. Now I'll have to smell like diesel until saturday.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like the part about having to smell of diesel till saturday. Those weekly showers can be a pain if you happen to get smelly early in the week. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Pulls better stock than my 01 with a programmer
New engine at 42k . Hope my luck with this 6.0 is changed .
firesoutmatt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2005, 01:50 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

[ QUOTE ]
Well, first off the nose should be slightly up hill not down...

[/ QUOTE ]

Ummm, I'm gonna disagree with you on that one. I've done mine several times now and pointing the nose uphill is a sure way to get diesel all over your hands, shirt, frame rail, etc.... Pointing it downhill and then opening the drainplug first is the way to go. Let it drain out into a container of some sort (I use a 2 liter soda bottle that I cut the top off of) until it quits draining, (which should be about a third of that 2 liter soda bottle). Then remove the filter. Doing it this way sends virtually all the fuel in the HFCM out the drain, leaving very little on the filter itself when you pull it out.
2003 Toreador Red/Arizona Beige CC, DRW, Lariat, FX4, 6.0 PSD, Torqshift, born early Feb. 03; AIC; Silverline turbo-back dual exhaust; 155cc injectors from Full Force Diesel (Casserly); SCT with tuning by Tony Wildman (Total Diesel Performance) & Innovative Diesel; ARP studs; Dfuser regulated return; AFE PG7; Fumoto valve; B&W hitch, Di-Pricol gauges; DIESELSITE Coolant filter; Timbrens; Rancho RSXs; Michelin XPS Traction's; a whole bunch of "bling"; Connex 4300hp; Pioneer DEH6100BT; JL Audio 275w amp driving a 12" sub; JL Audio 50wx4 amp driving the Alpine door and rear seat speakers. 380.3hp/786.7ft-lbs (on my tow tune!)

pics

SLAPS President and Webmaster
teamroper60 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2005, 03:38 PM   #6 (permalink)

I had it drain all over everywhere too. Most of the grass near my driveway is dead now, but it's Ok, I don't have to weed it. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 10-04-2005, 05:03 PM   #7 (permalink)

Well I followed these instructions and all went well.
TnThunder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2005, 05:12 PM   #8 (permalink)

Funny, I think it's quite easy...

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

...but then again, I do them on a lift with a large transmission drain pan on a hoist oil drain with all of the right tools and tricks!

P.S. - I don't tilt the truck or open the fuel cap either. I DO remove the engine mounted fuel filter first at the same time I have the oil filter out to do the oil change. I can do an oil change and fuel filters in 1/2 hour including setting up the lift. The only problem I encounter is how long I have to wait at the parts counter. I know I am being a wise-ass but I couldn't resist! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif[/img]

<font color="white"> ! </font>
Diesel Mentor Directory
ford_doctor is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2005, 05:21 PM   #9 (permalink)

Yeah, you try squeezing my 250 lb fat a** under their with the step bars resting on your gut and you might smell like I do. I have a friend who is a Diesel mech. who has a pit at his shop deep enough to stand under. I should have gone there. Next time I will. I will admit all went as it should except for the Diesel bath and the fact that the primary filter cover was harder to remove than I expected. It took many short throws with that ratchet between the front drive shaft and the frame to get it loose enough to turn by hand.
BTW maybe you should get your parts form an after market supplier, He! He! He!.
Old 10-04-2005, 05:30 PM   #10 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, you try squeezing my 250 lb fat a** under their with the step bars resting on your gut and you might smell like I do.

[/ QUOTE ]

ROFLMAO! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
BTW maybe you should get your parts form an after market supplier, He! He! He!.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're probably right, I might get them quicker on certain occasions and they would be cheaper!
Diesel Mentor Directory
ford_doctor is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2005, 07:04 PM   #11 (permalink)

Did you remove the fuel cap? If not, your gonna get wet. Tank will still be lightly under pressure...the fuel will fly. You should get about 12 ounces to leak out of HFCM when removing plug. A little when replacing filter. Wait about 17-18 thousand and try again. And put some never-seize or light grease on threads of drain plug or risk it sticking and stripping. Have fun!
Old 10-04-2005, 08:05 PM   #12 (permalink)

No, I forgot to remove cap although it was early morn and in the high 70s. Next time for sure. I find that the drain needs only a very gentle snug as the o ring actually does the sealing. I've drained mine 3-4 times with no sticking but...who knows what the next time may bring. I asked my dealer about the steel drain plug and he professed ignorance. He promised to check on it but I never heard back. I need to give him a gentle nudge.
Old 10-04-2005, 08:18 PM   #13 (permalink)

My Photos: (38)

We don't ever drain the separator... we just replace the header..
GregH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2005, 10:05 PM   #14 (permalink)

ive changed mine twice. each time i plan it with my oil change. when the oil is out i pull my niftty oil catch pan over to the fuel filer, wrap a rag around my wrist and all it good. i also use an extension on my soket to break it loose and then finish with my hand. i also happen to like the smell of diesl.
05 PSD, 4X4, LARIAT, FX4, TWO TONE BLUE/ SILVER, COOPER 315x70x17, AIRRAID, ROLL-N-LOCK, DIGITAL VIDEO RECORDING SYSTEM W/6" LCD, BLIR (BACKWARD LOOKING INFRA RED),COBRA CB W/ DUAL 4FT. ANT, MBRP 4" TURBO BACK, ALPINE W/ SIRIUS RADIO, LIMO TINT ALL AROUND, HUSKY FLOOR MATS, BRE PLUG
http://www.mydieselzone.com/goliath/

Theory is a good foundation to build knowledge upon but it often ignores solutions to real-life problems.
BlueNSilver0560 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2005, 09:50 AM   #15 (permalink)

Don't get me wrong here. I like the smell of Diesel fuel too but I also have to live with "she who must be obeyed" who objects to the sofa and bed smelling of it. Imagine that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.