Code p0299 - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2008, 10:01 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Code p0299

This last weekend both of my 6.0L trucks got the check engine light. both are code P0299. My f250 got this code once before about 3 years ago. Neither one have any driveability problems. Should I clear the codes and see what happens? Both of my trucks are stil under warranty but that makes it $200 dollars of deductible if I take them both in. Thank you
04/04 F250 12/20/03 build date, XLT Supercab longbed 6.0l, 4X4, 3.73lsd, FX4 pkg, torqueshift, ESOF, silver/med. flint, 6cd, back up sensors, rear slider, camper pkg, big mirrors w/ heated/pwr glass, 120k Sold
04/04 F350 Crew Cab long bed 6.0L lariat FX4 46K Sold
1998.5 Dodge 3500 4x4 dually 24valve cummins 160K (sold)
2005 Lance 835 Cabover Camper
1999 Sanger DXII ski boat
1975 Dodge RamCharger (sold)
1990 Sanger DX ski boat
1991 Dodge W350 Cummins SRW 215K(sold)
pwrstrokn2004 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2008, 10:07 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (14)
P0299 means an underboost condition. In my case it went on for quite awhile before I took it in. No driveability problems. But, it took a replacement turbo to fix the issue.

I understand the root issue to be soot buildup in the turbo vans so they don't move easily, then they don't give full boost. Maybe you can live with it, I hated to keep seeing the CEL.

Mike
140A Alternator. 125W solar panel. Sportsmobile off-road trailer.
115615 miles. 16.65 mpg average
From Cal to Alaska, Key West, Labrador/Newfoundland and points in between
Salem Kroger coil spring 4wd conversion - 4" lift
05 F350 front axle and aluminum wheels 275/70-18 tires.
46 Gal tank - harpooned pump vent tube.
Scangauge. DieselSite Coolant Filter@72K. Fumoto valve. Amsoil dual remote oil filter setup.
MikeL46 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2008, 03:18 PM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
This codes shows up sometimes when the engine is put under a heavy load. It doesn't necessarily mean that you have a bad or poor functioning turbo. It just means that it didn't detect the amount of boost that was expected at a particular time. Sometimes even with a brand new turbo the same code will show up under a heavy load. I would clear the codes and wait and see if there really is a problem. Mine never triggered a CEL either when it threw the code.

Mod List:
-51 gal RDS direct fill auxillary fuel tank
-SEIC High Idle
-H&S Black Maxx Running the Hot Damn +300 Tune
-S&B Dry CAI
-Diamond Eye 5" Turbo Back Race Exhaust
-Custom 10" Sub Box Behind the Center Console
-Coastaltech SYNC-LP1 Lockpick
-Westin Bull Bar
-Westin Taillight Guards
-Recon LED Smoked Dodge Cab Marker/Clearance Lights
-Billet Fender Vent Inserts
-Zone Offroad 4" Lift
-20x10 BMF Novakane 8's
-35x12.50r20 Nitto Trail Grapplers
-'11 Super Duty Rear Seat Cargo Tray w/410W Power Inverter
tvandyck7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2009, 11:49 PM   #4 (permalink)

Bummer

I just had the same code pop up on a diesel I just bought.

I am curious what did you guys end up paying to have the replacement turbo put in?

~J
VanKayaker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2009, 12:01 AM   #5 (permalink)

The 299 code can be set by almost anything. I work on these all day long. the most likely cause is a sticking turbo. If you are still under warranty it would just be the 100 deduct if the turbo is found defective or beyond cleaning. (most are). The updated turbo works alot better. I have found that if they sit too long it is common for them to stick. But just like I warned it can be caused from almost anything that can cause low boost. I even had a bad injection pressure sensor cause this code or fuel filters. If it is on your dime it could cost approx 1800.00 or so depending on the dealers mark up and how much they charge to diagnose and repalce the turbo, drain back tube and I would also suggest the new cac hose at the turbo while you are there.
99.5 Green F250 Crew Cab short bed. Solid Chrome front bumper, chrome hooks, Chrome flame grill, 2005 Headlights and Emblems, K&N cone air filter, wicked wheel, 5" exhaust 6 1/2 tailpipe,Edge Evolution programmer, Pioneer in dash touch screen dvd player, Directed 200 amp to 4 pioneer 4ways Directed 600 amp to 3 10" JL audio subs, 6" superlift all riding on 4 Chrome 10x20 Helo Maxx 8S and toyo open country A/T 37/13.5/20 looks and runs like new.
jetski86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2009, 12:21 AM   #6 (permalink)

Unhappy Thanks

Wow that was a pretty freakin quick response.

The van is a 2006 with 7,211 miles on it. I bought it sight unseen because I figured it was a steal having such low miles, with the quigley 4x4 etc... and the last year and a half it really just sat in a warehouse on the east coast.

I have an appointment scheduled tomorrow with Horizon Ford in Seattle, WA which is our local fleet dealer that has 6.0 certified techs. I guess I will just cross my fingers and hope it is a simple cleaning...

My wife is going to kill me if I have to drop another $1800 bucks ...

Is there a ford website/number I can visit/call to see if it still has the remainder of a warranty on it?

gulp
VanKayaker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2009, 12:55 AM   #7 (permalink)

Low miles, sitting, Yep the turbo is rusted and sticking. If you are told no problem found ask to talk to the tech and ask about the updated turbo that you read about.
99.5 Green F250 Crew Cab short bed. Solid Chrome front bumper, chrome hooks, Chrome flame grill, 2005 Headlights and Emblems, K&N cone air filter, wicked wheel, 5" exhaust 6 1/2 tailpipe,Edge Evolution programmer, Pioneer in dash touch screen dvd player, Directed 200 amp to 4 pioneer 4ways Directed 600 amp to 3 10" JL audio subs, 6" superlift all riding on 4 Chrome 10x20 Helo Maxx 8S and toyo open country A/T 37/13.5/20 looks and runs like new.
jetski86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2009, 05:44 AM   #8 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
As the others have said, sounds like the vanes are stuck in the turbo. The P0299 code can be placed by an overboost in that there is no overboost code. The code just shows that the boost level is outside of the parameters set by the program. Trying convince the tech that last worked on my truck was impossible. I took the truck in knowing that the vanes were stuck and it took 3 visits to finally get them to replace the turbo. I had to bring the trailer and let the tech road test with a data logger. He comes back saying "it is underboosting,it needs a turbo". It had been boosting to 40psi towing the trailer under acceleration.
Now the truck was running great until they "worked" on it. I left the dealer the first time with a new MAP sensor. They said it was fixed. It sounded different and felt different. I hooked up the trailer and headed out of town. Same overboost only now it is backing up through the filter. And the power is gone. I thought that I was towing into a 30-40 mph wind or the trailer brakes were dragging. Neither. I had to turn around and come back. The tech flashed the computer to the inductive heat flash. It still had the buzz flash when I took it in. The service writer and the tech knew that I did not want the truck flashed. They said that they wouldn't. They did it anyway. It feels like at least 50 HP has been taken away from my truck. Never to return without resorting to aftermarket tuning. My truck is a 2004 F350 DRW long bed CC. It makes my blood boil every time that I think of it. I had bought the turbo replacement parts kit and was going to clean the turbo myself but decided to let them do it since there might be a rust issue. I clearly made the wrong decision. I drove a great running powerful truck in and drove away a wimped out truck.
Chances are good that they will do the same to your truck.
misterc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2009, 07:46 PM   #9 (permalink)

I just got my 2005 E350 out of the shop today for this code. I had the code for about a year. The dealer replaced the center housing and cleaned remaining parts on turbo.
amitreman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2012, 04:44 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterc View Post
As the others have said, sounds like the vanes are stuck in the turbo. The P0299 code can be placed by an overboost in that there is no overboost code. The code just shows that the boost level is outside of the parameters set by the program. Trying convince the tech that last worked on my truck was impossible. I took the truck in knowing that the vanes were stuck and it took 3 visits to finally get them to replace the turbo. I had to bring the trailer and let the tech road test with a data logger. He comes back saying "it is underboosting,it needs a turbo". It had been boosting to 40psi towing the trailer under acceleration.
Now the truck was running great until they "worked" on it. I left the dealer the first time with a new MAP sensor. They said it was fixed. It sounded different and felt different. I hooked up the trailer and headed out of town. Same overboost only now it is backing up through the filter. And the power is gone. I thought that I was towing into a 30-40 mph wind or the trailer brakes were dragging. Neither. I had to turn around and come back. The tech flashed the computer to the inductive heat flash. It still had the buzz flash when I took it in. The service writer and the tech knew that I did not want the truck flashed. They said that they wouldn't. They did it anyway. It feels like at least 50 HP has been taken away from my truck. Never to return without resorting to aftermarket tuning. My truck is a 2004 F350 DRW long bed CC. It makes my blood boil every time that I think of it. I had bought the turbo replacement parts kit and was going to clean the turbo myself but decided to let them do it since there might be a rust issue. I clearly made the wrong decision. I drove a great running powerful truck in and drove away a wimped out truck.
Chances are good that they will do the same to your truck.
I am also showing 299 codes under load. Having a hard time getting cel to go off. Anyway I have no problem with performance. Also not over boasting according to my gauge. I have a 4 inch free exhaust on my Ford 6.0. I had the boast control replaced but still having the same problem I guess Turbo time is the answer by what I have read.
Portagie1968 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2012, 04:45 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetski86 View Post
The 299 code can be set by almost anything. I work on these all day long. the most likely cause is a sticking turbo. If you are still under warranty it would just be the 100 deduct if the turbo is found defective or beyond cleaning. (most are). The updated turbo works alot better. I have found that if they sit too long it is common for them to stick. But just like I warned it can be caused from almost anything that can cause low boost. I even had a bad injection pressure sensor cause this code or fuel filters. If it is on your dime it could cost approx 1800.00 or so depending on the dealers mark up and how much they charge to diagnose and repalce the turbo, drain back tube and I would also suggest the new cac hose at the turbo while you are there.
I am also showing 299 codes under load. Having a hard time getting cel to go off. Anyway I have no problem with performance. Also not over boasting according to my gauge. I have a 4 inch free exhaust on my Ford 6.0. I had the boast control replaced but still having the same problem I guess Turbo time is the answer by what I have read. Ford has an updated turbo?
Portagie1968 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.