code P0299 low turbo boost check engine light HELP - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2010, 10:58 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
code P0299 low turbo boost check engine light HELP

I have a 2005 Ford Excursion 6.0 4x4 that's been to the shop twice in the last 2 weeks with the check engine light on. The code is P0299. The turbo was removed and cleaned in July for the same problem. I just recently installed a 4" turbo back exhaust no cat, not muffler. This is when the problem reoccured. They have put a new EGR valve in it and found that the exhaust backpressure sensor wiring was rubbed through so that was repaired. I just got it back today and the light is on for the 3rd time. I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions or experience with this. I asked the tech if the exhaust could cause this problem and he said he's pretty certain it wouldn't. I know I'm not the only one driving a 6.0 with no cat or muffler so please help if you can!

Last edited by skevac; 12-30-2010 at 11:00 PM. Reason: e-mail preferences
skevac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2010, 12:32 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (14)
I had to have my turbo replaced to get rid of that code. Sometimes cleaning just won't take care of it.

Mike
140A Alternator. 125W solar panel. Sportsmobile off-road trailer.
115615 miles. 16.65 mpg average
From Cal to Alaska, Key West, Labrador/Newfoundland and points in between
Salem Kroger coil spring 4wd conversion - 4" lift
05 F350 front axle and aluminum wheels 275/70-18 tires.
46 Gal tank - harpooned pump vent tube.
Scangauge. DieselSite Coolant Filter@72K. Fumoto valve. Amsoil dual remote oil filter setup.
MikeL46 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2011, 02:34 PM   #3 (permalink)

I have stock exhaust with muffler delete. i had the code once about a month after I bought the truck, cleared the code and it hasn't reappeared since. From what I have read it is a pretty common code...just means that at some point the boost was not within the set parameters the computer is looking for. It could happen for just a fraction of time to throw code.

Can Be caused by a bad or sticking turbo but not always. Kind of a phantom code for these trucks.

Not 100% sure but I beleive this code is thrown for both underboost and overboost conditions?......correct me if I am wrong. I don't think there is an actual code for overboost, it uses the same code number if that occurs.

I got the code while towing my work trailer with the cruise set, going up a hill, it was lightly raining and the truck downshifted, spun tires when it down shifted and reved real quick- i saw the factory boost gauge actually spike into the red zone for a moment! Then CEL came on- I thought I toasted something but it ran just fine so I cleared the code and it hasn't come back since.
Quad Pod w/ EGT, EOT, ECT, Fuel PSI Glowshift Elite 7 series Gauges
MBRP 4" TurboBack off-road
Leveling Kit
20" Moto Metal 957's
295/65/20 Nitto Trail Grapplers
Vortex Spray in Liner

02 F-250 Crew Cab 4x4 auto 7.3L PSD. w/Bullydog 6 position flip chip.

00 Excursion V10 4x4 Limited - SOLD
96 F-250 PSD SOLD
94 Mustang GT H/C/I and NX kit SOLD
95 GT VERT all stock (wifes car)
jamartz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2011, 08:55 PM   #4 (permalink)

I had this code a little over a year ago, just a few days after buying my truck. The local dealer replaced the unison ring in the turbo and no issues since. They told me when I brought the truck in that there are two common issues for this code: 1) dirty turbo or 2) replace unison ring.
| River City Diesel EGR Delete | Blue Spring Upgrade
High Idle Mod | ARP Studs

2009 30ft Puma Travel Trailer | Approx 8000lbs when loaded up for the weekend!!
hawkeyediesel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.