Cold engine, no power, blue smoke. - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2011, 08:39 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Cold engine, no power, blue smoke.

I have an 04 6.0 with 95,000 miles. Over the last few weeks it's developed a problem when the engine is cold. When I start the truck in the morning and take off I have no power or acceleration. When I get on the pedal and the engine hits 2500 - 3000 RPM's the power curve goes really flat and I get a ton of gray/blue smoke out of the exhaust. When the truck finally shifts gears and the RPM's drop the smoke goes away until the RPM's get back up again. Once the engine comes up to temperature the problem goes away and it runs fine.

Has anyone seen this? Any suggestions as to what the problem may be?

Thanks in advance,

Dave
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2011, 06:19 AM   #2 (permalink)

Bump.

Anyone know anything about this issue?

As a side note I always thought blueish smoke had to be oil but I'm reading it may be unburned diesel?

I really could use some direction on this one. I don't want to take it to the dealer and get raked over the coals. Can't seem to find a good Diesel mechanic in South Jersey.
Old 07-20-2011, 08:48 AM   #3 (permalink)

Have you checked your batteries? Have you checked the FICM voltage? (Instructions are on this board in multiple places). There are lots of reasons this occurs - usually indicates something not right with the injectors.
Old 07-20-2011, 08:59 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcgreg View Post
Have you checked your batteries? Have you checked the FICM voltage? (Instructions are on this board in multiple places). There are lots of reasons this occurs - usually indicates something not right with the injectors.
I put new batteries in last year but I haven't load tested them. I do plan on checking the FICM voltage but I just ordered Rev X to see if that helps. If the Rev X doesn't change anything I'll be checking the FICM next along with the batteries.

Can unburned diesel fuel cause the blue smoke? I thought unburned diesel was black smoke.
Old 07-20-2011, 11:09 AM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (1)
You might want to check the flash to make sure you have the latest. Ford has a re-flash that addresses cold engine lack of power

2008 f-250 Lariat - 5.4 Gasoline - Absolutely Love It

2003 F-250 FX-4 --Sold my last diesel
cyclone3565 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2011, 11:43 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone3565 View Post
You might want to check the flash to make sure you have the latest. Ford has a re-flash that addresses cold engine lack of power
Thanks. I'll check into it. I'm out of my 5 year warranty now. Do you know if Ford will charge for the flash since it's basically a fix?
Old 07-20-2011, 05:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
OT

My Photos: (8)
Dave..obviously reflashing will fix certain running issues, but doubt it can fix a faulty part. Yours at 95K has many worn parts. Any repairs done lately?

When was last time yours reflashed? Reason I ask last (and only) time mine done was 11/06. Lost track since except did read about updated ficm (inductive flash) Asked my dealer sometime ago & any new updates (reflash) would cost me, unless under warr. or actual "recall" ordered nationwide on mine. Good luck!
Old 07-20-2011, 05:59 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KokDiezel View Post
Thanks. I'll check into it. I'm out of my 5 year warranty now. Do you know if Ford will charge for the flash since it's basically a fix?
Probably around $100. At least that's pretty much the going rate around here.
2004 SunnyBrook Solanta 28' TT small slide 7800#

35 Years in the trenches!
Retired Machinist & Manufacturing Engineer for fuel control systems for very large Diesel Engines. Locomotives to Super Tankers.

Designed and trouble shot manufacturing processes for stuff from Design Engineers. Sometimes had to wrestle for design changes.
Designed and built tools and equipment to machine, assemble, disassemble, repair and test.

Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.
"Nothing is FOOLPROOF because fools are too ingenious"-Mark Twain
johnmart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2011, 06:41 AM   #9 (permalink)

Thanks for the replies guys. The only thing I've done to the engine recently was cleaning the EGR a few months ago and replacing the seals while it was out. I did have the oil changed right around the time it started to get bad (didn't feel like doing it myself) and I don't know what they used so I'm going to drain it and put T6 in with the Rev X.

I believe the last flash on my truck was in 2007 but I'll have to double check.

It was so stinking hot this weekend the oil will have to wait a few days.
Old 07-29-2011, 07:04 AM   #10 (permalink)

Update

The weather finally cooled enough to work on my truck. I drained the dino oil, filled with Rotella T6 and added 8oz of Rev X. I also filled the tank and added cetane boost. Upon finishing I drove the truck enough to get the temp up.

The next morning my truck ran great. No power loss or smoke when cold and seemed to run better all day. More responsive, better mileage, smoother shifting, shifting the right time. Yesterday morning I fired it up again to go to work and it had a little bit of power loss, little bit of smoke but then cleared up. This morning the power loss and smoke was a little heavier but still better then before the oil change.

My theory is injector stiction which was helped by the rev x and oil. I'm going to drive it for a few more days to see if it gets better.

Any thoughts/ suggestions? Thanks again for all of your input. This site is a life saver.
Old 08-02-2011, 06:50 AM   #11 (permalink)

Update - Problem still here

I took the truck to work this morning. It was a little cooler out - about 72. Started a little rough (like it does on cold days without being plugged in) but no smoke on start up. As soon as I ran down the road I had no power, fluttering and lots of blue smoke at 2500 and up rpms. After about 2 miles of driving the problem went away and truck runs fine again. Apparently the T6 with Rev X did not solve the problem. Gonna check the FICM voltage this weekend.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Dave
Old 08-02-2011, 08:34 AM   #12 (permalink)

Dave, a few things come to mind. To much oil in the crankcase? I only run 14 gts. in mine for an oil change. There are many schools of thought on this and mine runs fine afterward. If I do run 15 however, mine will smoke blue at startup and then clear up, both of them will. Another area to check would be the cac tubes for oil buildup inside from the crankcase vent system. Another suspect area to look at would be your ficm voltage at start up while cranking when cold. Also, you may have a failed or failing batt. or batts. Bad ones can do weird things to the electronics/sensors on your truck. ps. keep an eye on the cooler temps with a scanguage 2 w/xgauge or edge insight.b
03 F-250 CC LB XLT 3:73 rear/ almost stock/ early build/ 78,000 miles...03 F-250 ext cab Lariat Fx4 SB 3:73's /stock/187,000 all original injectors...FICM by Ed @FICM.COM / ScanGuage 2 monitoring the vitals...
03powerstrokeuser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2011, 08:48 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03powerstrokeuser View Post
Dave, a few things come to mind. To much oil in the crankcase? I only run 14 gts. in mine for an oil change. There are many schools of thought on this and mine runs fine afterward. If I do run 15 however, mine will smoke blue at startup and then clear up, both of them will. Another area to check would be the cac tubes for oil buildup inside from the crankcase vent system. Another suspect area to look at would be your ficm voltage at start up while cranking when cold. Also, you may have a failed or failing batt. or batts. Bad ones can do weird things to the electronics/sensors on your truck. ps. keep an eye on the cooler temps with a scanguage 2 w/xgauge or edge insight.b
When I did the oil last week I put about 14 quarts in. Where are the CAC tubes? I looked at the batts last night and although they are less than a year old I did notice dampness around the cell caps. They might be leaking. I will check the FICM voltage as soon as I can when the engine is cold. It should read 48v even while cranking right? Can the blue smoke be unburnt diesel fuel?

Are there any retail shops that carry the scangauge 2? I'd like to pick one up today to check temps.

Thanks for the input.
Old 08-02-2011, 09:36 AM   #14 (permalink)

Dave, you can get the scanguage 2 at Autozone but may have to order it as some stores do not stock it. Also you will want to program it on Xguage to get the desired guages that we need to monitor on the 6.0. It is no problem to program, and will give you peace of mind when towing with your 6.0. The blue smoke you mention is I think, from a faulty ficm, but can be checked with the xguage as well. 48 volts cranking is desired. Any thing below 45-46 for a few seconds would be suspect. Blue/grey smoke can be unburned diesel. What does the smoke smell like? The cac or charge air tubes will be the blue ones from the turbo to the intercooler. I would check these last, being you say it just started doing this. Any codes you can post will help.b
03 F-250 CC LB XLT 3:73 rear/ almost stock/ early build/ 78,000 miles...03 F-250 ext cab Lariat Fx4 SB 3:73's /stock/187,000 all original injectors...FICM by Ed @FICM.COM / ScanGuage 2 monitoring the vitals...
03powerstrokeuser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2011, 09:59 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03powerstrokeuser View Post
Dave, you can get the scanguage 2 at Autozone but may have to order it as some stores do not stock it. Also you will want to program it on Xguage to get the desired guages that we need to monitor on the 6.0. It is no problem to program, and will give you peace of mind when towing with your 6.0. The blue smoke you mention is I think, from a faulty ficm, but can be checked with the xguage as well. 48 volts cranking is desired. Any thing below 45-46 for a few seconds would be suspect. Blue/grey smoke can be unburned diesel. What does the smoke smell like? The cac or charge air tubes will be the blue ones from the turbo to the intercooler. I would check these last, being you say it just started doing this. Any codes you can post will help.b
Thanks for the input. None of my local Autozones have it so I just ordered one online with overnight shipping. From what I've read about xguage I can read the FICM voltage while cranking with it instead of having to pull the FICM. I don't know what the smoke smells like because it happens while moving. May have to get the wife to drive it while I follow this weekend. Thanks for the clarification on the CAC tubes. I had to change one two years ago because it burst. Other one is still original. Once I get the scanguage tomorrow I'll check for codes and FICM voltage and report back.

Thanks again.
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.