The Diesel Stop banner

Cold Starting Issues...HELP!

1K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  CameronP. 
#1 ·
Good Morning Gentlemen,
I'm a new member to this forum, but i have been using it for years to search different topics with my trucks. This is my 3rd 6.0 so i am fairly savvy with them but this one has me stumped. I have tried searching every post i can about my issue but have yet to find something that gives me any insight, so hopefully I can get some info from some of you fine members....

My issue:

I live in Buffalo, NY and i just went down to Texas to bring up a truck. My 2005 F250 is having a seriously tough time cold starting. I have to recycle and crank it several minutes before it will fire up (it has yet to leave me stranded though I feel like it eventually will). However, once it does finally fire up it runs smooth and even with no problems. When it is plugged in to the block heater however, it fires up and runs like a top. I run an edge inisight have 7 of 8 soft codes for "Glow Plug Circuit" (P0672,P0674,P0675,P0676,P0677,P0678) No CEL have been thrown. All of these codes happened at the same time because i checked it when i bought it and several times while bringing it back and had no codes. The first time I started to have an issue it was around 40 degrees and its been getting colder by the day here. First thing i did was check my FICM voltage. Never saw any lower than 47.5 even when i spent 30 seconds at a time cranking it on a cold start. Also, like i said once its running, its not rough...so this kind of ruled out FICM to me at least. Next I figured with 7 GP codes going at once i figured it could be the Glow Plug Control Module, so i ordered one of those used to put in just to diagnose. Same results instantly. GP codes showed back up and rough time cranking over when cold. The GP harnesses dont look too bad, however to have cylinder from BOTH banks show up yet cylinder 3 never threw a code seems suspect to me. Lastly, my next potential step is looking in to my batteries. I noticed that this truck has brand new batteries but they are 750 CA and ONLY 600 CCA. Now i know stock these trucks call for a 750 CCA battery at minimum so this is why im skeptical of this. I dont believe the batteries are bad, but i was wondering if a low CCA could affect my starting abilities in cold start and possible throw GP codes for not getting enough power upon starting? I checked my battery voltage when cranking on my edge insight. When sitting cold i was at 11.8v, during a cold start crank i was down around 10.2-10.5 and even saw as low as 9.3 when it was trying. Once and if it does fire up though, it get back up to 12s and eventually 13s. My question is, could i be on to something with my low cranking amps not giving me enough power to fire up easily when cold and possibly even throw some codes??? any help on this issue would be very helpful. My next step is to go buy some higher CCA batteries but i hate to waste the money if its's a dead end....thank you!

See less See more
#2 ·
BUMP

Trying to add a video of cold start while on edge monitor

#3 ·
Welcome to TDS, I would suggest that new 850 CCA batteries would not be a waste of money. These engines need need a fairly healthy cranking speed to start. If you feel is the engine sounds a bit slow cranking, the other thing to check is the starter. It's possible it's tired if it's the original. Also the connections to the starter could be suspect. I removed mine when I pulled the engine last year, took it in for a rebuild even though it had never shown any signs of a problem. The re-builder touched the tinsel lead and it disintegrated in his hands.... He sold me a fresh reman for $200 Canadian. Cheap insurance in my mind. Man, does the engine roll over a lot quicker now too.

#4 ·
This was also a thought in my mind. I have checked battery connections and taken them on and off with no results. The starter though i should look into. I just find it highly suspect that these batteries are 150 cold cranking amp less than what should be stock so either way I think that will be a necessity for me to take care of. Thank you for your input, when I get out of work I will definitely check out the starter!

#5 ·
Batteries replaced today ... still does the same thing ... so that can be ruled out

#6 ·
It would have been nice if it was that simple to fix but either way, given the issues created on 6.0L engines by low battery supply, IMO, it is still money well spent.

You haven't mentioned if the engine is turning over quickly or sounds like it's struggling. That would help decide if you need to look at the starter or not. If the starter sounds like it's doing it's job, I can't help but think you are back to glow plugs or FICM.

If you have or can get your hands on an inductive ammeter, connect it to one one of the two GP harnesses at the accessed at the GPCM. I don't recall the exact numbers but you get a high current blast initially (like about 200a I think) but then should go to (IIRC) about 35-45 A after the initial full heat cycle. The other side should read about the same. If not, you could verify each glow plug to see if it is drawing about 10-12 Amps. You could also do a resistance test looking for 0.1 to 2 ohms per plug and the harness should 1 ohm or less.

Regarding FICM, the power side of the board is not the only thing that fails, the logic side can fail as well and is not easy to test. I am not aware of any decisive field test for it. If you can get your hands on a borrowed known good FICM to test, that would be the best way to know for sure.

#7 ·
I have a '05 and ran into similar issue last year in Va. when the temps were low. I'm originally from Upstate NY so I know it's a lot colder there. I replaced both batteries to no avail, so I changed out GP's and Harnesses and haven't had a issue since. Relatively cheap for new GP's and Harnesses and a pretty quick process to change out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.