Cold Weather Coughing / Stalling - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2010, 04:54 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Cold Weather Coughing / Stalling

Hello again all, been away from the site for a while but I'm glad to be back finally.

Looking for help with my '05 F-250 6.0 during cold weather periods. Lately as temps in my area have begun to dip below freezing during the overnight and rarely getting above mid 30's during the day, I've been experiencing what I can only discribe as coughing and stalling.

During the initial start after the truck's been sitting for 6+ hours, turn the key and wait for the glow plug indicator to clear, the engine is sluggish to turn over, similar to having near dead batteries, but after a short cranking period it fire's only to cough and stall. This problem persists after about 2 or 3 attempts and then finally it cranks up and starts.

I bought the truck used back in 2007 and can only assume that the original batteries are still in the vehicle, however I've had the tested prior to this season's changing and they still had sufficient power to get me through the winter.

I'm thinking my problem is possibly having a few bad/dead glow plugs ? If this is the case, how are these checked to determine which need to be replaced ? It's been a great truck since I've owned it, I do the regular maintenance on it myself, and it's got just over 63k on it for mileage.

I appreciate any help / advice in working out this issue. Thanks in advance for your responses.

R/,

Joe

2005 Lariat/FX4 F-250 SD Crew Cab LWB 6.0 PSD w/ Auto Trans. Torreador Red w/ Arizona Beige. 52k miles

Daily Driver with occasional hauling and/or towing duty.

Upgrades:

Up Fitter Switches
tomcatchamp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2010, 07:56 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (2)
I have the same problem, it is very ANNOYING. hope somebody chimes in
Old 12-16-2010, 10:33 PM   #3 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Are you guys running any centane boost in the fuel what wt. oil are you useing when it is cold like that 5w40 would be the best and Syn oil would even be better. Next year i will be going to a 5w40 and it only get into the 30s here if it gets below 30 i plug it in for about 3 hrs then my coolent will be around 90 degrees when i start just think these motors push 18 gallons of oil a minute and the injectors run in oil so they need the flow. If you have a plug try that and see if it makes a difference.
2 stroker
Sinister Fuel Pressure Adapter
Updated Fuel Reg. Kit 3C3Z-9T517-AG
WOT 58lbs Idle 62-64lbs Just Right
HFCM Water Separator Drain Plug Upgrade
Ford Cetane boost every fillup
Amsoil By-Pass(Amsoil 5w40)
Fumoto Oil Drain Valve
Dieselsite Coolant Filtration System
Dieselsite Boots
Delo ELC Coolant
Tow Command
Upfitter Switches
Pulling a 14,000 lb Alpenlite 5er
Roll-N-Lock bed cover
97 F350 4x4 PSD CC LB (sold it)
1700 Super Chip
PacBrake&ATS converter lockup
3" dp-4" exhaust
TruCool 28,000 lb cooler
Tymar Intake
A pillar EGT,Boost,Trans
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2010, 11:59 PM   #4 (permalink)

It gets down to low 20s here and I still run 15-40. I do cycle my glow plugs 2-3 times before starting, it will help. Once a glow plug stops working it will trip your SEL, but you could have some starting to go out that are weak.
Old 12-17-2010, 07:14 AM   #5 (permalink)

I use rotella 15-40 ii have new fuel filters, drained water from fuel, if i cycle the glow plugs it helps (don't think we should have to do that) if I plug it in there's no issue but I can't plug it in at work. I had it it in last year they put on new FICM and a few glow plugs and it didn't help. I read on here about a TSB so I'm going to look into that today....

New TSB For 6.0L Motors - New Calibrations - Ford Truck Fanatics
Old 12-17-2010, 07:52 AM   #6 (permalink)

I would change the batteries with the highest capacity you can get. Just because they test ok does not mean they really are, especially if they tested them while still in the truck. They must be tested disconnected if they are still connected to the other battery they will test ok and could still be bad. Low batteries will take out the alternator and the FICM. Top notch batteries as an absolute must with these trucks and very few have seen the originals last longer then 3 yrs... The glow plugs in these truck are very dependable. Not many have had to change them plus you should get a check light if one goes.

2008 FX4 F250 CCSB w/ 6.4L PSD - Edge Insight, H13 Bi-HIDs, custom coolant filter, "all deleted", fumoto.

Last edited by rock_doctor; 12-17-2010 at 10:53 AM.
rock_doctor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2010, 07:57 AM   #7 (permalink)

OOOPS I forgot to put that I changed the batteries both 2 weeks ago with 850 cranking amps, I am getting ready to go fire it up right now 25 deg not plugged in....
Old 12-17-2010, 09:17 AM   #8 (permalink)

My Photos: (64)
It's been going down into the teens overnight here the past week. I haven't plugged my truck in more than twice in the 5 1/2 years I've owned her and still have the original batteries.

This morning it was 24* outside and she started right up. I've recently changed the fuel filters, running stanadyne and 2 stroke oil in the fuel. No romping at all either. Generally, I let her idle up on the SEIC for a few minutes than leave.

My SWAG is that your fuel is gelling and/or being restricted by the filter(s).
Eng Bld: 02/03/05 Indianapolis
2825 Hrs +/-, 101K Miles - No Major Probs other than brakes
DC Power 185 Alternator
ZOODAD, SEIC,
Atlas 40 FICM @ 90K
4" Banks Turbo-Back Duals
3.5" Ready Lift
Bilstein 5100's
315 - 70R17 Duratrac's
Centramatics
Bodiak Front Receiver
SG2
Coolant Filter
HFCM Plug Upgrade
Blue Spring Upgrade
FP Gauge
Zerex Red ELC
2 Stroke TC-3W Oil added 1oz/Gallon Fuel
Band_Member is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2010, 09:18 AM   #9 (permalink)

this is what mine does ! 64000 dollar question is WHY?????

Old 12-17-2010, 04:28 PM   #10 (permalink)

My Photos: (64)
I donno why yer truck is doin that but I thought yer beautiful shep was gonna pee on yer camera there for a second
Eng Bld: 02/03/05 Indianapolis
2825 Hrs +/-, 101K Miles - No Major Probs other than brakes
DC Power 185 Alternator
ZOODAD, SEIC,
Atlas 40 FICM @ 90K
4" Banks Turbo-Back Duals
3.5" Ready Lift
Bilstein 5100's
315 - 70R17 Duratrac's
Centramatics
Bodiak Front Receiver
SG2
Coolant Filter
HFCM Plug Upgrade
Blue Spring Upgrade
FP Gauge
Zerex Red ELC
2 Stroke TC-3W Oil added 1oz/Gallon Fuel
Band_Member is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2010, 08:02 PM   #11 (permalink)

You still have the buzz flash. This firmware would pulse the injectors so that they would not stick. If you listen you can hear the clicking getting faster each time you try to start it. You need to take it back to your dealer and have the firmware undated to the induction flash. This flash sends current to the injector coil to warm it up so that the injector will not stick. Take it in and get it updated to the newest flash. Will cost you about one shop hour for the update.

2008 FX4 F250 CCSB w/ 6.4L PSD - Edge Insight, H13 Bi-HIDs, custom coolant filter, "all deleted", fumoto.
Old 12-17-2010, 08:15 PM   #12 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to novimustang
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcatchamp View Post
During the initial start after the truck's been sitting for 6+ hours, turn the key and wait for the glow plug indicator to clear, the engine is sluggish to turn over, similar to having near dead batteries, but after a short cranking period it fire's only to cough and stall. This problem persists after about 2 or 3 attempts and then finally it cranks up and starts.

I bought the truck used back in 2007 and can only assume that the original batteries are still in the vehicle, however I've had the tested prior to this season's changing and they still had sufficient power to get me through the winter.

I'm thinking my problem is possibly having a few bad/dead glow plugs ? If this is the case, how are these checked to determine which need to be replaced ? It's been a great truck since I've owned it, I do the regular maintenance on it myself, and it's got just over 63k on it for mileage.
I had a similar problem with my '03 6.0 a year or two ago. When I came out of work and tried to start the engine cold it took me about 3 tries. Then, once it did start, it ran like TOTAL GARBAGE - until it warmed up. Once it reached operating temp, it ran great. How does yours run once it does start?

Turned out to be a couple of bad injectors... a fairly expensive fix, but it did cure the problem.

From what I've read, researched, and personally experienced, these 6.0L engines really need to be plugged in when the ambient temp is below 20*, maybe 25*. I'm no diesel engineer, but when you think about what it takes to turn over and start a big heavy engine in freezing weather with no spark, well it's kinda asking a lot. I take a 100' ext. cord to work with me and plug it in at work too if it's really cold. Kinda cheap insurance in my opinion.

The glow plugs obviously help, but they can only warm the chamber, the rest of the engine is still cold as hell... wait... that doesn't make sense does it...

Anyway, find a friend or a good dealer you can trust (I'm still looking...) and I hope you get it straightened out without having to pay too much.
novimustang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2010, 08:42 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Band_Member View Post
I donno why yer truck is doin that but I thought yer beautiful shep was gonna pee on yer camera there for a second

haha yeah i thought so too, he P's on EVERYTHING I didn't mean to hijack this thread I would just like to get to the bottom of this sorry
Old 12-17-2010, 10:45 PM   #14 (permalink)

That is true diesels are heat engines (ie need heat to run) but in duhops case his next move is to update the flash. The buzz flash was released back in 06 or something and he needs to update to the induction flash. If that does not work then he may be looking at new injectors but i don't think so. We have been running in the low teens here and everything is starting fine and running fine w/o plugging anything in and on summer diesel. Some members have cranked up their 6.0s in temp in the -30F range w/o plugging them in but of course they were running synth oil but still with only the heat of the glow plugs. If you are having issues and hearing the tapping/buzzing noise with the key on, not running, then you may also have the buzz flash and that would be the next step, to update the software on the truck. It will cost you $100 to find out if it cures the problem... No matter what you end up having to do you still will want the induction flash in the computer.

Old 12-18-2010, 06:44 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock_doctor View Post
That is true diesels are heat engines (ie need heat to run) but in duhops case his next move is to update the flash. The buzz flash was released back in 06 or something and he needs to update to the induction flash. If that does not work then he may be looking at new injectors but i don't think so. We have been running in the low teens here and everything is starting fine and running fine w/o plugging anything in and on summer diesel. Some members have cranked up their 6.0s in temp in the -30F range w/o plugging them in but of course they were running synth oil but still with only the heat of the glow plugs. If you are having issues and hearing the tapping/buzzing noise with the key on, not running, then you may also have the buzz flash and that would be the next step, to update the software on the truck. It will cost you $100 to find out if it cures the problem... No matter what you end up having to do you still will want the induction flash in the computer.
I had this done on 12-18-09

UNABLE TO VERIFY COLD START CONCERN,SCAN PCM,HAS CODES,PERFORM TSB 09-24-03 RECAL PCM,COLD SOAK OVERNIGHT TO VERIFY REPAIR,RETEST,CONCERN STILL PRESENT, PERFORM PPT S1 S2 S3 S10 S11,R&R FICM,PERFORM PMI ON FICM,CLEAR CODES,COLD S TART AGAIN TO VERIFY FIX,FICM PIDS GOOD,TEST DRIVER,KOER NO CODES,REPAIRVERI FIED

I will call about the induction and buzz flash today
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.