compression problems - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2005, 08:16 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
compression problems

If i remove the cat and muffler on my 2003 6.0L PSD will it cause compression problems and cause the engine not to run right? I was wondering because thats what my dealer told me.
Fuzz_man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2005, 09:27 PM   #2 (permalink)

Re: compression problems

That is a typical dealer response. Those guys don't know anything and will try to BS you into their way of thinking. Remove everything if you like. It will be loud, but it will run great.

Dave
2004 F-350. Standard Cab, 4X4, 6.0 with Torqshift, 3.73 w/LS. <font color="red">(((XM))) Satellite Radio.</font> Lo Jack, 6608 lbs wet. Born on 8/4/2003. Engine 07/23/2003. 3" Lift. Grover Air Horns!!!
http://community.webshots.com/album/85108545NlXNsD

1993 F-350 4X4 7.3 IDI with 5 spd. Gone now.

1976 Kenworth C-500 with Detroit Diesel 8V92TA with 3 spd Jake, SQHD's and RTO 12513 10 Wheel Dump Truck. Sold.
dbennett48 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2005, 10:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

Boy... after Daves knowledgeable response, I'm lost for words....

Of course us trained guys are idiots... we should realize that the engineers and our experiences are wrong, wrong, wrong..... It matters not that we work on these things day after day... Dave has a 6.0 and he knows all about them.

Is your dealer wrong? Well, I feel I'm getting but a small part of the tale...

There are a lot of owners out there that should not have a diesel simply because their driving styles/conditions don't create the conditions these trucks need to remain healthy. Modifications can and will create conditions that the PCM programming cannot deal with.

FWIW... I have very few customers that feel the need to modify their trucks.... I have very few customers with concerns I can't fix on the first visit.

Sig lines are informative yet tiresome... I have no problem with people being proud of their ride (personally, they are machines and these machines get me from where I am to where I want to be....) but some of this stuff is over the top.... I'm just waiting for someone to brag about his light-up valve caps....
GrampyJim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2005, 11:16 PM   #4 (permalink)

Removing your cat is illegal and can not be advocated on this site.

However:

What I have read on this site from aftermarket vendors is that taking the cat off does not help performance very much. ( I have not tried this and do not intend to)

So, why not just leave it on and avoid warranty issues and legal issues? You might also want to leave a little piece of the planet intact for your children. Or Grampy's grandchildren.

Eddlebrock cup holders

2006 Tata Spacio (3.0L) Manual
noa1794 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2005, 11:42 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

[ QUOTE ]
If i remove the cat and muffler on my 2003 6.0L PSD will it cause compression problems and cause the engine not to run right? I was wondering because thats what my dealer told me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am running a full turbo-back MBRP exhaust on mine and have been for quite a while now. I did keep the muffler because I don't really care for the straight pipe sound. But the MBRP muffler is huge on the inside, so I can't imagine there is much restriction there. A couple of months ago, I hooked it up to an Auto Enginuity scanner and looked at a bunch of things, the EBP being one of them. It was dead on what Ford says it should be.

After seeing that, and having absolutely no codes show up, I have to believe this whole "theory" that some Ford folks throw out about the need for backpressure is pure unadulterated bunk.

Take it for what it's worth and do as you wish....
2003 Toreador Red/Arizona Beige CC, DRW, Lariat, FX4, 6.0 PSD, Torqshift, born early Feb. 03; AIC; Silverline turbo-back dual exhaust; 155cc injectors from Full Force Diesel (Casserly); SCT with tuning by Tony Wildman (Total Diesel Performance) & Innovative Diesel; ARP studs; Dfuser regulated return; AFE PG7; Fumoto valve; B&W hitch, Di-Pricol gauges; DIESELSITE Coolant filter; Timbrens; Rancho RSXs; Michelin XPS Traction's; a whole bunch of "bling"; Connex 4300hp; Pioneer DEH6100BT; JL Audio 275w amp driving a 12" sub; JL Audio 50wx4 amp driving the Alpine door and rear seat speakers. 380.3hp/786.7ft-lbs (on my tow tune!)

pics

SLAPS President and Webmaster
teamroper60 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2005, 02:16 AM   #6 (permalink)

Removing your cat will not change compression, but it will change your emissions and this is why a dealer cannot take it off because they would be liable and face a penalty if caught.
96' F-250 4x4 SB Crewcab, 3.55 gears, rebuilt E4od, Air bags, 2" leveler kit, 10 disc cd changer, Tymar intake, Tymar 4 pos TS chip, 4590 cooler, boost, pyro(pre-turbo) & tranny temp AutoMeter gauges mounted in pillar, Diamond eye 4" exhaust with lost kitty, Tymar 3x4" downpipe, Warn hubs, Prodigy brake controller, Hypermax intercooler, CCV mod,17* HPOP, stage 1 injectors, fpr. Rebuilt tranny with pump and valve body mods, 3 disc torque convertor. Diesel mechanic 20+ years

My Pictures
fourhatz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2005, 08:23 AM   #7 (permalink)

the pipes on the cat can be cut off and larger ones to mate with your big pipes can be welded on.turbo diesels dont need "back pressure" like gas engines. they would be the best with no pipe at the turbo. the less back pressure the better.
04crew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2005, 02:41 PM   #8 (permalink)

grampy jim you didnt really answer the question. Is it bad for the engine or not?
Fuzz_man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2005, 02:48 PM   #9 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I am running a full turbo-back MBRP exhaust on mine and have been for quite a while now. I did keep the muffler because I don't really care for the straight pipe sound. But the MBRP muffler is huge on the inside, so I can't imagine there is much restriction there. A couple of months ago, [b]I hooked it up to an Auto Enginuity scanner and looked at a bunch of things, the EBP being one of them. It was dead on what Ford says it should be.

After seeing that, and having absolutely no codes show up, I have to believe this whole "theory" that some Ford folks throw out about the need for backpressure is pure unadulterated bunk.[b]

Take it for what it's worth and do as you wish....

[/ QUOTE ]

Really?
When you hooked up the truck on the WDS, I could imagine you went for a data logging drive. What was the voltage reading you got from your EBP sensor ( voltage ) and ICP Psi at WOT?

OUTLAW!!
Jesse_James is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.