Coolant, Ethylene or Propylene - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2010, 10:12 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Coolant, Ethylene or Propylene

I read that as little as 1% Ethylene Glycol will cause bearing damage, but as much as 8% concentration of propylene glycol will not. If this is true, why would we not use propylene?

I just installed a coolant filter and am getting ready to change the coolant, but still trying to decide the best way to go.
Short Bed, Crew Cab, Sun Roof, Power Rear Window
18" KR wheels, Camper Package, Tow Command

Mods: Shaker 500 Stereo, Alpine MRV-F450 amp, Line-X, Edge Insight, MBRP 4" Turbo Back Exhaust, Diesel Site Coolant Filter, Blue Spring upgrade, Removed Ford Gold Coolant, Fuel Pressure Guage
ralderman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2010, 10:39 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralderman View Post
I read that as little as 1% Ethylene Glycol will cause bearing damage, but as much as 8% concentration of propylene glycol will not. If this is true, why would we not use propylene?

I just installed a coolant filter and am getting ready to change the coolant, but still trying to decide the best way to go.
Dump the Ford Gold cxxp do a flush and install a ELC good for 600k not a lot to decide, i went with Delo good for 750k i have other things to do than check coolent

ELC is the coolant recommended and used by International for this engine. .

Coolant Flush for changing to ELC

Drain coolant by removing lower radiator hose. Drain block from plug on drivers side of the block. Remove the thermostat. Replace plug in block and put lower hose back on. Put thermostat housing back on without thermostat. Fill with distilled water. run for 5 minutes then drain as above..Fill and run 5 more minutes drain. Put in 1 gallon of Restore an top with distilled water. Drive it for an 60-90 minutes then drain. Flush 2 times with distilled water or whatever it takes to come clear. Put 2 qts of VC-9 and fill with distilled water. Drive it for about 60-90 minutes. Drain and flush after. Flush 3 more times with distilled water untill it come out clean. Replace thermostat or put in a new one. Put hose back, make sure block plug is tight. Add 3.5 gallons of ELC concentrate and top off with distilled water. Make sure to run engine for 5 minutes between flushes to circulate the water good. Have heater on set to hi while doing this to flush the heater core too.
2 stroker

Sinister Fuel Pressure Adapter
Updated Fuel Reg. Kit 3C3Z-9T517-AG
WOT 58lbs Idle 62-64lbs Just Right
HFCM Water Separator Drain Plug Upgrade
Ford Cetane boost every fillup
Amsoil By-Pass(Amsoil 5w40)
Fumoto Oil Drain Valve
Dieselsite Coolant Filtration System
Dieselsite Boots
Delo ELC Coolant
Tow Command
Upfitter Switches
Pulling a 14,000 lb Alpenlite 5er
Roll-N-Lock bed cover
97 F350 4x4 PSD CC LB (sold it)
1700 Super Chip
PacBrake&ATS converter lockup
3" dp-4" exhaust
TruCool 28,000 lb cooler
Tymar Intake
A pillar EGT,Boost,Trans
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2010, 08:16 AM   #3 (permalink)

If your still under warranty stay with the premium gold or Zerex GO-5. You don't want any reason for a warranty denial.
2005 Lariet, 6.0, 3:73 1969 Mach 1, 428 CJ
1971 Triumph Trident(SOLD)
2007 Road King flhp
2007 Jazz 5er, 11k
173rd Airborne
69cj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2010, 08:34 AM   #4 (permalink)

I just did rotella ELC flush. It is suppose to be good stuff, there is a reason why companies like BMW and Porsche use ELC...
Black Onyx Head Gaskets
Sinister EGR Delete
Sinister Coolant Filter
Powermax Turbo
Edge Insight w/pyro & Fuel PSI
MBRP 4" Straight pipe
Rotella ELC and T6
sly1types is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2010, 08:36 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:

Don't put a lot of stock in those articles. 1% vs. 8% doesn't make much of a difference. They're based on unrealistic scenarios. The couple I've read state something to the effect of: as little as xx% of EG in your crankcase can cause bearing failure. Well duh! What they fail to mention is all the other stuff that had to go wrong to get coolant in your crankcase.

If you've made up your mind to change out the gold junk go with an ELC that's EC-1 rated. As far as warranty work, I think they would have a hard time denying a claim but could make your life really tough proving otherwise.

2006 F-250 PSD, Lariat
Mods: All the usual stuff

"Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry" - Mark Twain
dieselmac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2010, 09:10 PM   #6 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
Thanks to everyone, I'm not worried about the warranty issues. I have read hear about people finding coolant in their oil, so that is my concern. Just trying to think ahead and possibly avoid that problem if it ever happens. I think ELC is the best bet, but just trying to get all the info and opinions. Hopefully within the next few weeks I'll be done. I wish I could get 5 gallon jugs of distilled water!
Short Bed, Crew Cab, Sun Roof, Power Rear Window
18" KR wheels, Camper Package, Tow Command

Mods: Shaker 500 Stereo, Alpine MRV-F450 amp, Line-X, Edge Insight, MBRP 4" Turbo Back Exhaust, Diesel Site Coolant Filter, Blue Spring upgrade, Removed Ford Gold Coolant, Fuel Pressure Guage
ralderman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2010, 09:49 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
I wish I could get 5 gallon jugs of distilled water!
Saw some at Sam's. I believe it was Deer Park brand.

2006 F-250 PSD, Lariat
Mods: All the usual stuff

"Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry" - Mark Twain
dieselmac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2010, 09:59 PM   #8 (permalink)

They (Ford) would be hard pressed to deny warranty due to the use of ELC as International VT365's use ELC coolant from the factory.
Edge Insight
SCT tunes by Quick Tricks
Sinister EGR Delete
6.4 banjo bolts
Ford fuel pressure spring kit
Excursion High Idle Mod
Cat EC-1 coolant and a Sinister coolant filtration kit
Magnaflow Turbo Back with muffler
ARP's
Powermax turbo
Retro-Solution Digital HID
tuckman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.