The Diesel Stop banner

Coolant filter location?

20K views 22 replies 8 participants last post by  fordsforever73 
#1 ·
OK people this my seem dumb but where is the stock coolant filter? I bought a 2005 F250 lat year and now time for a flush but I need to know where the filter is so I can change it. I has a warranty so I need to go back stock. Thanks for all the help. :read:

#2 ·
There is no stock coolant filter. If you want your 6.0 to last as long as my 7.3, you need to put an aftermarket one on right after you flush and change to a good ELC coolant. If you are going back to the gold sludge, you really, really need to put a coolant filter on it. It will not affect your warranty.

#3 ·
Yep, i would put one on it. Do a good flush and fill then install one. You can get a kit for about $125 or make up one yourself for a little less then $100. Be leave it or not you can get the parts from your local napa... Search around here, there are a couple how-to posts about building and installing your own coolant filter.

#5 ·
#6 · (Edited)
Here is a link to a thread i started. Should tell you what you want to know. Just be aware this is for the 6.4 but the difference is with the 6.0 you mount it on the radiator bolt next to the passenger side battery (with some type of mount) and you only need about 6ft of hose. I used brass pex tees for my two taps. A 1"x1"x.5" for the 3/4" heater hose and a .5"x.5"x.5" for the tee that goes into the degas return hose. Both of these PEX fittings are available at your local Home Depot. It is easier to buy a pre-made kit.

#7 ·
I went the easy route and just bought one in a kit from Sinister Diesel. It took less than 10 minutes to install. I put it on within a few days of buying the truck and will be changing out the filter when I get the flush done in a few weeks.

#10 · (Edited)
I set up my coolant bypass, using the Baldwin filter and mount. I used a piece of aluminum angle to hang the filter unit off the alternator mounts. I was originally going to tap into the heater hose, by the oil fill tube, but went to the section at the firewall for a cleaner look and a little more room. You can see in the photos, I had to modify the fan shroud to fit back in place.

Attachments

#14 · (Edited)
#17 ·
Ok, the inlet to the filter housing goes to the outer holes of the filter and that is feed by the 3/4" heater line. Most tap into that line right next to the oil filler tube on the passenger side of the engine. The outlet of the filter comes from the center hole of the filer and goes to the 3/8" line that comes from the upper nipple on the degas bottle and leads to the drivers side of the radiator. If you are interested in using brass tees then you can use brass pex tees (from your local Home Depot). The heater tee is a 1"x1"x1/2" and the tee for the degas bottle is a 1/2"x1/2"x1/2". The pex sizes are not normal sizes...such that 1" pex tee is equal to 3/4"ID rubber hose size and 1/2" Pex is equal to 3/8" ID rubber hose size. Most put brass ball valves on both the inlet and outlet of the filter. This is done so that you can change the filter w/o having the cooling system drain or/and you can take the coolant filter out of the system by closing both valves...

#16 ·
Outlet to degas tank.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.