Coolant filter question - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2012, 04:51 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Coolant filter question

Oh while back I bought a sinister diesel coolant filter and have been running it almost 30,000 miles now. My problem with it is it has always leaked. Not a bad leak just really slowly out of the tees into the lines and the housing itself. I've over tightened, re-threaded, tried pipe dope, different clamps, nothing will stop it leaking.

So my question is after running it this long, is it really necessary to still have a coolant filter? I mean by now most of the gunk and casting sand should be out right?

I'm just tired of trying to stop the leaks, and having to put coolant in it every 3 to 4 months.

SOLD
2003 Ford Excursion
6.0L PSD with 224,XXX+ Miles
Scangauge II w/ BlendMount Kit
Sinister Coolant Filter
+40hp FICM tune / No turbo-lag
MBRP 4" Turbo-Back straight piped
New HPOP 205k, FICM referb @215k, everything else original & stock
Old Faithful.

Last edited by Xx_Razgriz_xX; 11-28-2012 at 04:53 PM.
Xx_Razgriz_xX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2012, 05:15 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (25)
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
You didn't put thread/teflon tape or sealer on the threads of fittings when you first installed the filter? If not, you should have.
2005 F-350 CC, LB, 4x4, Dually, 6.0 Powerstroke, Torqueshift, 4:10 Gears. Gooseneck and rear pull hitches. "Truck Covers USA" roll up aluminum tonneau cover. Putco Boss Running Boards. Aluminum finned diff covers. Bilstein HD shocks. ProComp steering stabilizer. XRF ball joints. NC Hornet CCV mod. RCD egr delete kit. AirDog fuel system. Strictly Diesel's regulated fuel and coolant return lines kits. Amsoil oil bypass (by NUC Motorsports) and homebuilt coolant bypass kits. CFM intake elbow. ARP head studs with factory gaskets and all upgrades. FICM by Ed with Atlas 40 tune, DC Power 185 amp alternator, MBRP 304SS "Cool Dual" exhaust system. SCT Livewire tuner with pyrometer. Autometer 'A' pillar gauges (Boost/Trans temp/Pyrometer/Fuel Pressure). 850 CCA Motorcraft Batteries. Using Rotella T-6 synthetic oil. Upgraded degas tank and cap. Hayes deep aluminum trans pan. GoGo Diesel modified direct clutch solenoid. Retro Solutions HID head and fog lights. High idle mod. Jimmi-Jammers. +More.
fordsforever73 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 05:21 PM   #3 (permalink)

I've got the same problem. Followed the directions and teflon taped the fittings and they still leak (the valve ones). Also have a little leak at each "T" fitting.

I don't know if you still need to have it on there after 30K miles. I'd think it's job would be done and all the casting garbage would be out of there. Don't take my advice though, I'm still new to this.
Stolen and I've never been happier to file a police report-05 F350, 6.0, K&N intake, Magna Flow 4", Edge Insight CTS, Sinister bypass coolant/oil filter system, Sinister EGR cooler delete w/up pipe, Sinister oil cooler replacement.
Junkers88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 05:31 PM   #4 (permalink)

Try to salvage the system; it needs to be on the truck and working. I had the same aggravating issue with my Sinister kit. The teflon tape they sent was worse than useless and I had leaks everywhere around the filter base. I got some Oatey white pipe joint compound with teflon fibers in it and redid everything and got all the leaks stopped. I had to wonder if the threads on their base aren't a bit off specs as I usually don't have any problem sealing pipe joints. Also, if you are using the much recommended CAT ELC-1 red coolant it will find any microscopic weak point anywhere in your cooling system and seep out. As a side note mine also leaked at the filter gasket even though I tightened it to specs. After removing the filter that came with the kit and changing to a different brand that stopped also.

Last edited by savn47; 11-28-2012 at 05:36 PM. Reason: Add info
savn47 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 05:51 PM   #5 (permalink)

The biggest leak is where I spliced into the hose by the valve. The return line doesn't leak. I cut the hoses as best I could so the connections were as flush as possible and I tried 2 different sets of clamps on the tee and just cannot stop the leaks there. The threaded fittings at the housing barely leak (yes I used the Teflon tape) but I've been thinking about trying something other than Teflon tape. Surprisingly I haven't had a problem with the actual filter O ring leaking.

And I do have ELC coolant. Have had it for a long time.

I'm honestly thinking about buying to new hoses and scrapping the damned thing. Nothing but problems since I've put it on.

SOLD
2003 Ford Excursion
Sinister Coolant Filter
Old Faithful.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:05 PM   #6 (permalink)

If you have any desire left to keep the filter, check the T and the heater control valve for cracks or other damage. Might not be the kit components at this point. Even a crack in the original heater hose running long ways will seep coolant.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:34 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by savn47 View Post
If you have any desire left to keep the filter, check the T and the heater control valve for cracks or other damage. Might not be the kit components at this point. Even a crack in the original heater hose running long ways will seep coolant.
Did a check for that. Coolant is coming out from clamped hose ends. I've had it apart several times at this point. For some reason the clamps just will not make a tight seal. I almost wonder if the pre fab fitting on the sinister hose is just slightly too small and the clamps can't tighten the hose down properly. Cuz believe me I've tried everything

SOLD
2003 Ford Excursion
Sinister Coolant Filter
Old Faithful.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:43 PM   #8 (permalink)

I certainly understand your frustration. I very much regreted ever having purchased the Sinister kit as I struggled trying to stop all the leaks for several days after the initial installation. I remembered repeatedly someone's comment on this forum that, "it just gives your truck a lot more places to leak coolant". At this point with no leaks I am satisfied with it. If it starts leaking again most likely it will be deposited into the local landfill.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:49 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by savn47 View Post
I certainly understand your frustration. I very much regreted ever having purchased the Sinister kit as I struggled trying to stop all the leaks for several days after the initial installation. I remembered repeatedly someone's comment on this forum that, "it just gives your truck a lot more places to leak coolant". At this point with no leaks I am satisfied with it. If it starts leaking again most likely it will be deposited into the local landfill.
I got the sinister one because it bolts right on and is all pre fabed, plus I like sinisters trademark blue. Looking back at it now though I wish I would have gotten a different one.

SOLD
2003 Ford Excursion
Sinister Coolant Filter
Old Faithful.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:05 PM   #10 (permalink)

What's up with sinister?
Luckily my coolant filter never leaked, but take a look @ their
oil cooler.... http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/general-6-0l-discussion/276855-sinister-oil-cooler-question.html
T diesel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 07:23 PM   #11 (permalink)

Re:Pics by cudakid03 appears oil cooler labeled as Sinister looks like a Dorman cooler. I don't say that it is, but it looks exactly like the Dormans that I have seen. That does not make it a bad product, but might make a difference in a purchasers decision if it were true.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:58 PM   #12 (permalink)

It's looking more and more like I'm gonna throw this sucker away then. Maybe ill get a different one but for the time being I'm just gonna put 2 New hoses on

SOLD
2003 Ford Excursion
Sinister Coolant Filter
Old Faithful.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:09 PM   #13 (permalink)

That good looking blue filter header and those blue hoses is what fetched me too raz! In retrospect I would build my own unit from scratch. Water filter heads are cheap and the bracket is easy to make.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:37 PM   #14 (permalink)

ive had mine on for 2 months now and have nothing but leaks either, out of all 3 holes on the housing, and at the T....the hose clamps the send with it for the T are about 3 sizes to big
lovemy6.9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 09:51 PM   #15 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to usmarshls
have had mine on for two years and its Never leaked a drip. I guess I now how to install it right :-)
Factory upfitter switches
rear seat cover "kids are a mess"
LED floor lighting front and rear.
LED lights in bed under rails.
MORE LEDs coming soon.

SOLD Goodbye my love
2005 F-350 King Ranch FX-4 CC long bed
2in level kit.airade intake with 4micron sock.superchips.sinister coolant filter.blue spring update.ranch hand wrench ready front bumperreplacement. installing glowshift gauges EGT,BOOST,TRANS TEMP,FUEL PSI. with quad gauge pod A-PILLAR.4IN turbo back cat delete

2004 F-250 V-10 -SOLD
1986 F-150 V-8 302CID first year of EFI -SOLD
1984 F-250 V-8 351CID Carb SOLD

In the Garage
1995 F-150, 460CID
2004 Expolrer 4.0L
usmarshls is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.