Coolant filter question - Page 2 - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2012, 10:09 PM   #16 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
The hoses sent with my kit were a sloppy fit on the T fittings and the clamps sent for the small hoses were the same size as the clamps for the larger hose to the heater valve T making them tend to distort before tightening. Less than average quality on the parts in my kit made it a bit more difficult than it should have been. Tightening hose clamps and fitting pipe threads is not a high tech job; so I doubt superior intelligence would contribute a lot to the task.
savn47 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2012, 11:03 PM   #17 (permalink)

Could be possible sinister changed the design too. Although I've had mine 30k thats only been about 8 months because I too noticed the clamps are way to big. Although the replacement ones I bought which are the right size didn't help much. I think you just got a rare fully functioning Sinister kit

SOLD
2003 Ford Excursion
6.0L PSD with 224,XXX+ Miles
Scangauge II w/ BlendMount Kit
Sinister Coolant Filter
+40hp FICM tune / No turbo-lag
MBRP 4" Turbo-Back straight piped
New HPOP 205k, FICM referb @215k, everything else original & stock
Old Faithful.
Xx_Razgriz_xX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 12:18 AM   #18 (permalink)

I just installed the Sinister coolant filter kit as well and it leaked like a sieve. The plug in the housing that came installed with teflon from Sinister leaked and had to be removed, retefloned and reinstalled. The t fitting leaked a minor amout but that is too much for me. I bought new silicone YELLOW hose and repleaced my 9 year old hoses as well as buying new hose clamps of the proper size.

AIRAID 4" straight No CAT No MUFF
Nitto Terra Grapplers All Terrain LT285/75R16 10 PR Everything else pretty much stock
NEW Ranchos installed 8/15/2010

WORK IN PROGRESS - R&R EGR COOLER, OIL COOLER, THERMOSTAT, TURBO BOLTS, GASKETS, ORINGS, and adding a COOLANT FILTER WITH NEW COOLANT AND FLUSH
Anyone Got Birds? Will Travel to Hunt!

We are all just Village Idiots,
Enamoured with our own shadow,
Oblivious to the setting sun!
Iam4MSU is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 01:03 AM   #19 (permalink)

I bet if you go to Lowe's or Home Depot and pick up some brass barbed T's and they sell a small T handled tool called a hose clamp torque wrench that's already set for the torque needed to make those clamps do their job I think it's like 6" lbs. or go with crimp on band clamps. I bet that would fix it. I personally went with the IPR high flow kit because it used the same 3/4" hoses all the way around. The smaller hose on the sinister kit has to handle the same working pressure as the larger hoses and when you start converting bigger to smaller it can sometimes be difficult to get everything water tight.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
Radiator, thermostat, heater valve, degas cap, EGR cooler; now deleted, Head gaskets, oil cooler, STC, stand pipes, dummy plugs, Upfitter switch, high idle mod. Motorcraft max batteries, Harley Davidson windshield x's 2, Scangauge II
RECON Big Rig Ice running board lights, interior LED light conversion, smoke LED tail lights, third brake light, mirror lights, fire & ice tailgate strip. ARP studs, Garrett powermax turbo, Metal CAC tube w/cool it thermo tec aluminized coating, Turbo oil supply and drain, Blue spring, Fuel/water separator drain plug, Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac 275/65R20 & Gatorback belt, Drilled/slotted rotors w/ceramic pads. IPR Generation 2 EGR & up pipe delete. IPR High flow coolant filtration system. JVC KW-NT700, Fumoto oil drain, block drain x's 2, Viper 5904 remote start & security, Rotella ELC conversion, CAT delete, tailgate assist, MBRP 5" turbo back SS, Atlas 40.
05_HARLEY_F250 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2012, 03:42 PM   #20 (permalink)

Also try putting two hose clamps on each side with the screw part 180 degrees from one another (if the barb is long enough). sometimes if the hose is just s little loose it will pucker slightly under the screw clamp as it tightens and this can cause a small leak. Standard procedure on boats.

Also there is a thicker yellow teflon tape that is made for gas pipes. Much better results than the white tape.

Ford Remote Start; High idle mod; Timbren load levelers, Scangauge II, Blue Spring upgrade, Quick Start 200 amp large frame alternator replacement, 2 batteries January 2010; GPCM replace October 2011; 2 EGR valves; EGR Cooler replaced 12/30/11; Performance Machine & Mfg. coolant filter added 1/2/12; Rotella T6 5W40 oil; turned rotors and replaced brake pads for 1st time 1/7/12 101K miles; GPCM, both subharnesses and all 8 glowplugs replaced 1/5/13 at 118,000 miles; 2 Ford batteries replaced under battery warranty; FICM power supply board replaced with Dorman board 11/20/13.
Ford06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2012, 06:50 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05_HARLEY_F250 View Post
I bet if you go to Lowe's or Home Depot and pick up some brass barbed T's
There is a catch with the brass T's. You can get PEX t's but they are a weird size. You need to go up one size. For example the 6.0 and 6.4 has 3/4" heater line and 3/8 line to the degas bottle. You need a 1"x1"x1/2" brass Pex T for the heater line tap and the T for the 3/8" line to the degas bottle has to be 1/2"x1/2"x1/2" Pex Brass T. Both of which should be stock for most Home Depots.

2008 FX4 F250 CCSB w/ 6.4L PSD - Edge Insight, H13 Bi-HIDs, custom coolant filter, "all deleted", fumoto.

Last edited by rock_doctor; 12-03-2012 at 06:53 PM.
rock_doctor is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2012, 08:22 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iam4MSU View Post
I just installed the Sinister coolant filter kit as well and it leaked like a sieve. The plug in the housing that came installed with teflon from Sinister leaked and had to be removed, retefloned and reinstalled. The t fitting leaked a minor amout but that is too much for me. I bought new silicone YELLOW hose and repleaced my 9 year old hoses as well as buying new hose clamps of the proper size.
I drove about 125 miles today and had to stop and put water in the truck as it had leaked out around the 3/8" hose. I stopped and bought the narrowest worm gear clamps I could get. I installed them and drove back about 125 miles. Still a small leak about half way but then seemed to seal off so that when i got home there was no leakage.

Sinister put an entirely way too big clamp on the small lines. I am thinking about doing the double clamp procedure or get some small spring clamps like the ones that come from the factory.

Nitto Terra Grapplers All Terrain LT285/75R16 10 PR Everything else pretty much stock

WORK IN PROGRESS - R&R EGR COOLER, OIL COOLER, THERMOSTAT, TURBO BOLTS, GASKETS, ORINGS, and adding a COOLANT FILTER WITH NEW COOLANT AND FLUSH

Old 12-03-2012, 11:20 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock_doctor View Post
There is a catch with the brass T's. You can get PEX t's but they are a weird size. You need to go up one size. For example the 6.0 and 6.4 has 3/4" heater line and 3/8 line to the degas bottle. You need a 1"x1"x1/2" brass Pex T for the heater line tap and the T for the 3/8" line to the degas bottle has to be 1/2"x1/2"x1/2" Pex Brass T. Both of which should be stock for most Home Depots.
Actually, I wasn't referring to PEX fittings and I personally wouldn't use them not only because of the weird sizes but most of the PEX fittings aren't truly barbed, there ribbed so you could risk more of a leak than what you started with. But if you do want to try it I would carry a piece of hose with you to the store and make sure you get a very snugg fit before the clamps are installed. As I mentioned all of my heater hose is 3/4 so fittings are a bit easier to find, T's anyway. But in the brass fitting section you can get a female threaded T and male threaded barbed hose adapters, you could build any variation.

I would've actually thought there would be a lot more issues out of sinisters crimped on fittings. Does anyone know if copper can be safely used with or as heater lines? You can get that in a lot more sizes it can be bent, it can be swaged alot easier than Stainless tubing which is what I'm currently trying to switch my heater and vacuum hoses to. The only rubber that will be left on my system will be the transfer from engine to body to allow for movement.
Radiator, thermostat, heater valve, degas cap, EGR cooler; now deleted, Head gaskets, oil cooler, STC, stand pipes, dummy plugs, Upfitter switch, high idle mod. Motorcraft max batteries, Harley Davidson windshield x's 2, Scangauge II
RECON Big Rig Ice running board lights, interior LED light conversion, smoke LED tail lights, third brake light, mirror lights, fire & ice tailgate strip. ARP studs, Garrett powermax turbo, Metal CAC tube w/cool it thermo tec aluminized coating, Turbo oil supply and drain, Blue spring, Fuel/water separator drain plug, Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac 275/65R20 & Gatorback belt, Drilled/slotted rotors w/ceramic pads. IPR Generation 2 EGR & up pipe delete. IPR High flow coolant filtration system. JVC KW-NT700, Fumoto oil drain, block drain x's 2, Viper 5904 remote start & security, Rotella ELC conversion, CAT delete, tailgate assist, MBRP 5" turbo back SS, Atlas 40.

Last edited by 05_HARLEY_F250; 12-03-2012 at 11:29 PM.
05_HARLEY_F250 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 11:41 AM   #24 (permalink)

Actually to really fix it buy Performance Machine's hose kit. It has all of the parts to stop your leak and fits RIGHT! I have their filter and these hoses fit perfectly. The hoses also have crimped on ferrules where they thread into the fittings. They supply a short length of heater hose so you don't even have to cut the original, if you haven't already. $54.95

Performance Machine & MFG. 6.0L Powerstroke Diesel Coolant Filtration System

Ford Remote Start; High idle mod; Timbren load levelers, Scangauge II, Blue Spring upgrade, Quick Start 200 amp large frame alternator replacement, 2 batteries January 2010; GPCM replace October 2011; 2 EGR valves; EGR Cooler replaced 12/30/11; Performance Machine & Mfg. coolant filter added 1/2/12; Rotella T6 5W40 oil; turned rotors and replaced brake pads for 1st time 1/7/12 101K miles; GPCM, both subharnesses and all 8 glowplugs replaced 1/5/13 at 118,000 miles; 2 Ford batteries replaced under battery warranty; FICM power supply board replaced with Dorman board 11/20/13.
Old 01-21-2013, 03:02 PM   #25 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to westin06
I too have my sinisiter kit leaking on my 6.0L. Just installed it about a week ago. No problems with the heater hose clamps, but the hose from the radiator to degas bottle, that t-fitting is leaking from one of the clamps. I can visually see small amounts of coolant coming out. Whats weird is it only leaks when its really cold out (below 30 degrees). Its been 50+ the last few days and nothing, but when it drops cold, i notice the coolant under the truck.

I too noticed when I unboxed the product, both clamps almost looked exactly the same size. I had to do a double take to make sure I put the right clamps on.

Going to put new clamps on that t-connection and see what happens. Will keep you guys updated!
westin06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2013, 04:11 PM   #26 (permalink)

Yup. Mines the same. Leaks much more when cold. Once warm the leak slows down substantially. I'm going to work on mine in the summer. Its like 10 degrees out right now and I can't be bothered...

SOLD
2003 Ford Excursion
6.0L PSD with 224,XXX+ Miles
Scangauge II w/ BlendMount Kit
Sinister Coolant Filter
+40hp FICM tune / No turbo-lag
MBRP 4" Turbo-Back straight piped
New HPOP 205k, FICM referb @215k, everything else original & stock
Old Faithful.
Xx_Razgriz_xX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2013, 11:19 PM   #27 (permalink)

Another thing I noticed that I failed to mention in my first post, the smaller clamps, they were more of an oval shape coming out of the box. I don't know if they got banged around during shipping or what, but I will include a picture of it. I assume when I tightened the clamp down, it kept that shape not sealing properly. Went to the local hardware store and bought two new, smaller clamps and installed them in earlier today.

I can't sit and watch my baby leak like that...it hurt too much. Had to brave the 25 degree weather and fix it. I will see in the next couple of days if that did the trick.

Last edited by westin06; 01-21-2013 at 11:24 PM.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:14 AM   #28 (permalink)

That is the wrong size clamp for that small a hose!! It is oval because it is already pulled too tight past its design specs. The long tail is a dead give away! Go to a marine dealer and get the right size clamps in stainless steel. With the narrower clamps you can double clamp them with the screws 180 degrees apart. This is what is required on boats for safety. Don't be fooled into thinking that the wide clamp is better.

Old 01-23-2013, 09:59 PM   #29 (permalink)

New, smaller clamps installed two days ago. Not a single drop since. It got real cold, single digits with negative wind chills. Working like a charm. Disappointing that a new kit comes with faulty/oversized items.

Recommend anyone that reads this thread and purchases the sinister kit, if the clamps look almost the same size, make sure you buy smaller clamps from an autoparts/hardware store, or else you will leak!

Waiting the recommended mileage and then going to cut it open and see what was caught.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:22 PM   #30 (permalink)

Buy the narrowest width clamp you can find and a diameter that is as close to the pipe size that you are clamping down on. I went to the dealership and they gave me two small 3/8" narrow clamps. It hasnt leaked since. SINISTER should reaqd this thread and change out the parts they sell with their kit. Either they do it or people will quite buying the Sinister kits. I also use the yellow teflon gas tape as opposed to the white water teflon tape that is sent with the kit. The thicker tape has always helped wherever ive used it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.