Coolant Flush - VC9 - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2009, 10:09 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exclamation Coolant Flush - VC9

I just flushed my radiator and replaced the coolant using the following procedure.

1. Drained coolant from radiator pet****. Approximately 12 quarts drained from the system. System capacity is 27.5 quarts. When drained that would leave 15.5 quarts in the engine.
2. Refilled coolant reservoir with distilled water.
3. Started up truck and let run until thermostat was fully open (190F).
4. Drained water / remaining coolant from radiator pet****.
5. Refilled coolant reservoir with distilled water.
6. Started up truck and let run until thermostat was fully open.
7. Drained radiator by using the pet****. The liquid that drained appeared to be clear so I assumed that it was all water.
8. Removed old coolant filter element and discarded. I had installed a coolant filter from the Diesel Site when truck had 27k miles.
9. Put new coolant filter element on.
10. Refilled system with 2 gallons of Ford Premium Gold Coolant since the engine had approximately15.5 quarts of distlled water remaining. This would equate to an approximate 50/50 solution.
11. Continued adding a 50/50 mix of Ford Gold Coolant and distilled water until coolant reservoir was full according to the sticker on the side of the reservoir.

Question: I didn't use the VC-9 iron cleaner. Do you guys think that I need to repeat the flushing process illustrated above but use the VC-9 to clean the internal coolant passages as well as the oil cooler?

Any responses would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Cody

2007 F250 4x4
67k Miles
Diesel Site Coolant Filter
steel10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2009, 07:13 AM   #2 (permalink)

You are low on coolant, too much water. When you refilled, you should have put in 3.5 gallons of coolant in(14 quarts), which is half of your coolant capacity. Then you would be at 50/50.

2006 F-350 Crew Cab S/B Lariat,Auto 4X4 6.0L PSD 3.73 L/S SRW,Amarillo Yellow. Line-X Bedliner, otherwise completely stock.
2005 Ford Escape
2004 VW Passat W8 Sedan
SeaTowJoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2009, 07:20 AM   #3 (permalink)

It took me 5 distilled water fills to flush everything out.

As SeaTowJoe said - you filled it to about a 30% concentration.

I would recommend draining again, adding Distilled water and the VC-9 and circulate by driving and getting the engine hot. Ford insists this is very good for the system (and I assume it is safe since I have not read anywhere that people are suspecting that it caused problems). They say it can get rust and precipitated deposits out of the oil cooler - but it will never resurrect a plugged oil cooler.

Edit - it is VERY important to your truck to have AT LEAST a 40% concentration - even better to be at 50%.
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARP studs;OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Ball joints;Coolant filter;High-Idle mod;RACCCV6000;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;SynchroMax xfer case;Fumoto valve;Harpooned;CPOhighwayProducts toolbox;tracrac;Fox Weatherboots;Wet Okole Seat Covers;BriteBox;Re-flashed;Quadzilla Recon XZT Fuel Press;Blue FPR spring;DashDAQ;PHP FICM;RiffRaff boots;DCPower250A;PowerInverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;One-piece HPOP fitting;D-plugs&standpipes;BPD Billet WaterPump;SCT w/ Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra;DuraTracs

Last edited by bismic; 11-04-2009 at 07:24 AM.
bismic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2009, 09:46 AM   #4 (permalink)

You will get more water out by pulling the lower radiator hose after the pet****. Then pull the block plug on the driver side of engine. When doing the flushes the t-stat should be out. You can do a flush in 5 min. that way not having to waite for the t-stat to open. The VC-9 cleans scale off the iron components. I used it and the t-stat housing looked like a new part.
2005 Lariet, 6.0, 3:73 1969 Mach 1, 428 CJ
1971 Triumph Trident(SOLD)
2007 Road King flhp
2007 Jazz 5er, 11k
173rd Airborne
69cj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2009, 09:03 PM   #5 (permalink)

The cooling system capacity is 27.5 quarts. When I removed the pet****, 12 quarts drained out. After every drain, 15.5 quarts would be left in the engine. When I refilled with 2 gallons of Ford Gold Antifreeze that would equate to a concentration of 8 quarts antifreeze / 15.5 quarts distilled water (52% antifreeze / 48 % water). I then took a gallon of antifreeze and drained out 50%. I refilled the antifreeze bottle with distilled water. I used this 50/50 mixture to top the system off so that I was at the minimum line on the sticker on the side of the reservoir. I checked the freeze protection using a coolant tester. It indicated that I was good down to ~ -42deg F which would indicate that I had a concentration slightly greater than 50/50. A 50/50 concentration would yield a -34 deg F freeze protection.

Codu
Old 11-05-2009, 02:22 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by steel10 View Post
The cooling system capacity is 27.5 quarts. When I removed the pet****, 12 quarts drained out. After every drain, 15.5 quarts would be left in the engine. When I refilled with 2 gallons of Ford Gold Antifreeze that would equate to a concentration of 8 quarts antifreeze / 15.5 quarts distilled water (52% antifreeze / 48 % water). I then took a gallon of antifreeze and drained out 50%. I refilled the antifreeze bottle with distilled water. I used this 50/50 mixture to top the system off so that I was at the minimum line on the sticker on the side of the reservoir. I checked the freeze protection using a coolant tester. It indicated that I was good down to ~ -42deg F which would indicate that I had a concentration slightly greater than 50/50. A 50/50 concentration would yield a -34 deg F freeze protection.

Codu
When you flushed with distlled water, you filled the block with water and NO antifreeze. Eventually what is left in the block is PURE WATER - ZERO antifreeze. You put in a 50/50 make up, but you mixed it w/ the PURE WATER that was left in the block.

If the TOTAL SYSTEM is 27.5 quarts (which it is), AND if you flushed ALL of the old coolant out ......................

Then the only way to get to a 50/50 mix is to add 13.75 quarts (or almost 3.5 gallons) of PURE antifreeze back in.

Freeze protection checks are only one thing that is important. If you do not get the proper concentration, then you do NOT have the proper corrosion protection (and diesel engines can be corrosive!).
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARP studs;OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Ball joints;Coolant filter;High-Idle mod;RACCCV6000;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;SynchroMax xfer case;Fumoto valve;Harpooned;CPOhighwayProducts toolbox;tracrac;Fox Weatherboots;Wet Okole Seat Covers;BriteBox;Re-flashed;Quadzilla Recon XZT Fuel Press;Blue FPR spring;DashDAQ;PHP FICM;RiffRaff boots;DCPower250A;PowerInverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;One-piece HPOP fitting;D-plugs&standpipes;BPD Billet WaterPump;SCT w/ Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra;DuraTracs

Last edited by bismic; 11-05-2009 at 08:06 PM.
Old 11-05-2009, 02:24 PM   #7 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)

Acustrip makes test stips to test your glycol nitrates and freeze point.

$5.67 for 4 test strips delivered.

http://www.acustrip.com/CTS-3_Retail_Order_Form.pdf

Acustrip - Products

EGR SPOOL, INSULATED WRAP CAC,BUTTERFLY DELETE,ACCUFAB INLET ELBOW,MUFF TUBE,BED COVER,BREATHER VENT MOD,OB1308 BY-PASS FILTER BASE,upgrade fuel return pressure spring 30# increase, velvet ride shackles, tranny cooler/filter,COOLANT FILTER,redline wetterbetter,1704A SUPERCHIP, SCHAFFERS 9000, 22MPG EMPTY @ 55MPH in cruise. Last fill up calculated @ 18mpg Hobbies- sticking my head out the window like a dog and hauling ass on the scooter rain or shine
pigsbreath is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2009, 04:48 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigsbreath View Post
Acustrip makes test stips to test your glycol nitrates and freeze point.

$5.67 for 4 test strips delivered.

http://www.acustrip.com/CTS-3_Retail_Order_Form.pdf

Acustrip - Products

Kool, Thanks
2007 Road King flhp
2007 Jazz 5er, 11k
173rd Airborne
Old 11-05-2009, 05:03 PM   #9 (permalink)

You didn't forget the four pints of dca-4 special coolant additive did you?
grandpas97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2009, 06:31 PM   #10 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
FleetGuard DCA60L DCA4 Supplemental Coolant Additive at DieselManor
EGR SPOOL, INSULATED WRAP CAC,BUTTERFLY DELETE,ACCUFAB INLET ELBOW,MUFF TUBE,BED COVER,BREATHER VENT MOD,OB1308 BY-PASS FILTER BASE,upgrade fuel return pressure spring 30# increase, velvet ride shackles, tranny cooler/filter,COOLANT FILTER,redline wetterbetter,1704A SUPERCHIP, SCHAFFERS 9000, 22MPG EMPTY @ 55MPH in cruise. Last fill up calculated @ 18mpg Hobbies- sticking my head out the window like a dog and hauling ass on the scooter rain or shine
pigsbreath is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2009, 06:32 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandpas97 View Post
You didn't forget the four pints of dca-4 special coolant additive did you?
What is that? With premium gold or Zerex GO 5 at a 50/50 mix and distilled water you use no additives unless the nitrate levels are low.
2007 Road King flhp
2007 Jazz 5er, 11k
173rd Airborne
Old 11-05-2009, 06:54 PM   #12 (permalink)

I just had a re placement thermo stat + a power flushing , by the dealer. ( now there is a good chance i will have heat .

The dealer worksheet / invoice states they put in 2 gallons of gold.

I was thinking thats not enough , not sure.
24hrsparkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2009, 08:07 PM   #13 (permalink)

27.5 quart system. 50/50 requires just under 3.5 gallons of PURE coolant. Any less than that and they did not flush the system well OR the concentration is less than 50/50.

Last edited by bismic; 03-06-2010 at 07:41 AM.
Old 11-05-2009, 09:39 PM   #14 (permalink)

It seems like some are getting confused by my procedure. The last flush left 15.5 quarts of distilled water in the system when the pet**** quit draining. I then added 2 gallons (8 quarts) of pure Ford Gold Antifreeze.

8 quarts/15.5 quarts = 52% Antifreeze / 48% Water

I continued filling the coolant reservoir with a 50/50 mixture of Ford Gold Antifreeze and distilled water until the reservoir was full.

I checked my freeze protection using a coolant tester and it indicated that I was slightly over a 50/50 mix as was indicated by the freeze protection of ~-42deg F. A true 50/50 mix will yield a -34deg F freeze protection.

Cody
Old 11-05-2009, 09:45 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by steel10 View Post
It seems like some are getting confused by my procedure. The last flush left 15.5 quarts of distilled water in the system when the pet**** quit draining. I then added 2 gallons (8 quarts) of pure Ford Gold Antifreeze.

8 quarts/15.5 quarts = 52% Antifreeze / 48% Water

I continued filling the coolant reservoir with a 50/50 mixture of Ford Gold Antifreeze and distilled water until the reservoir was full.

I checked my freeze protection using a coolant tester and it indicated that I was slightly over a 50/50 mix as was indicated by the freeze protection of ~-42deg F. A true 50/50 mix will yield a -34deg F freeze protection.

Cody
My apologies - I did not read it that way.

Last edited by bismic; 03-06-2010 at 07:46 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.