Coolant leak out of degas bottle and other problems - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2010, 04:20 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Coolant leak out of degas bottle and other problems

Hi Everyone.

I'm just looking for some opinions on this. I have a 2005 F350 with a 6.0 Power Stroke. I just bought it about a month ago. Well I noticed that the coolant was a little on the low side, about an inch below the "low" mark on the degas bottle. So I added about 1/2 a gallon to it. Shortly after that I noticed that there was a little more while smoke than usual out of the exhaust, although it didn't smell sweet like you would expect if it was Anti-freeze. About a week later it was back down in the degas bottle. So I added another 1/2 gallon and it filled.

Shortly after doing that it started leaking coolant out of the degas bottle. I is now pouring coolant out of the degas bottle when running and after being stopped. It has lost about 3-5 gallons of anti-freeze. It has lost enough that the degas bottle is now completely empty and I have no heat.

I suspect the head gasket, as does my local Ford dealership. That being said, I still have to drive the truck as I have to get too and from work. The Ford dealership won't take the truck in for service until next week. I have yet to notice the temp gauge go any higher than usual.

On my way to work this morning I was going about 40MPH and when I let off the throttle the engine started to die, like the timing was retarded a lot. It recovered from this, but I have a feeling something is going to die soon, any ideas what causes this?

Any input is appreciated, and thankfully this truck is still under warranty. Do we think Ford is going to want to fix everything wrong with the truck?
linux2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2010, 05:00 PM   #2 (permalink)

Without being able to see the vehicle I would guess that your EGR cooler has failed. Head gasket concerns do not cause coolant usage or white smoke on a 6.0L PSD rather you would have coolant loss from the degas bottle while driving. An EGR cooler will cause your coolant usage, white smoke and likely an EGR valve performance concern which could explain the "almost stalling" you experienced. When coolant reaches the EGR valve it makes the carbon on it sticky and the valve becomes slow to open and close. Under the wrong conditions, a stuck open EGR valve will cause the engine to run poorly and stall until it snaps closed. This is a common scenario. I advise you NOT to drive the truck if at all possible as serious engine damage can result or you could be left stranded in a parking lot if the engine hydrolocks. If it were my truck I would get it to the dealer's lot and ask them to get to it as soon as they can work it into their schedule - hopefully before your appointment date. At my dealer I do try to accomodate people when I can... but that is me.
Diesel Mentor Directory

Last edited by ford_doctor; 03-25-2010 at 05:04 PM.
ford_doctor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2010, 05:06 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the update. I haven't seen any white smoke since I added coolant to it the second time. It just dumped coolant out of the degas bottle the second time. This makes me think it is a head gasket and not the EGR cooler... Perhaps it could be a combination of both?

It isn't smoking right now, but then again it's really low on anti-freeze.
Old 03-25-2010, 05:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
OT

My Photos: (8)
FDr. I understand degas etc. But, want a bad h.g. also cause coolant to leak? TIA
Old 03-25-2010, 05:52 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OT View Post
FDr. I understand degas etc. But, want a bad h.g. also cause coolant to leak? TIA

A bad head gasket will cause coolant to be pushed out of the degas bottle... as combustion gasses displace coolant and excess pressure vents from the system throught the pressure cap... perhaps I mis understood the OP's post.
Diesel Mentor Directory
Old 03-25-2010, 05:58 PM   #6 (permalink)
OT

OK. On different problem, if h.g. is bad cant that cause coolant to leak between head/block? TIA.
Old 03-25-2010, 06:00 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:

A bad head gasket will cause coolant to be pushed out of the degas bottle... as combustion gasses displace coolant and excess pressure vents from the system through the pressure cap... perhaps I mis understood the OP's post.
Diesel Mentor Directory
Old 03-25-2010, 07:23 PM   #8 (permalink)
OT

Ok, so your ans. is NO. Coolant cant leak out between head/block if h.g. is bad. tks.
Old 03-25-2010, 07:49 PM   #9 (permalink)

Here's something for this thread and maybe there is a bit of contrary evidence but I believe that it is a true statement that whenever a leaky EGR cooler issue is suspected - it ALWAYS WITH NO EXCEPTION occurs because the oil cooler is plugged.
bulletproofdiesel oil cooler
dieselsite coolant filter
mlwest is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2010, 09:13 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Ok, so your ans. is NO. Coolant cant leak out between head/block if h.g. is bad. tks.
Head gasket issues on 6.0's leak combustion gas past the head gasket into cooling system. I have never seen a head gasket leak coolant into a cylinder or externally...not saying it will NEVER happen...but I haven't seen it yet.
djshum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2010, 08:20 AM   #11 (permalink)

Thanks for all the info. At this point I would suspect it is a head gasket and the EGR cooler. Interestingly enough the EGR valve was replace about 3000 miles ago. So if it is already sticking I would suspect the EGR cooler was broken before they replaced the valve.

On another note I drove the truck into work today. It ran alright for a while, but then the fan came on fully and it didn't sound very happy. It's still running though and I have to get to work. The Ford dealership refuses to take it in any earlier than Monday. I wonder what they are going to do. I think the motor is cooking itself, but no noticeable smells of it overheating yet. By the time they get around to it on monday the damage will be already done. Fix the head gaskets and it's going to be something else.
Old 03-26-2010, 08:48 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by linux2 View Post
By the time they get around to it on monday the damage will be already done
Not their fault if something catastrophic were to happen to your engine... it is YOUR responsibility to know enough not to drive the truck if you know there is a problem. I understand and sympathize with your situation but common sense needs to be considered.
Diesel Mentor Directory
Old 03-26-2010, 09:42 AM   #13 (permalink)

I do not get it sometimes. A poster asks for advice because he does not know for sure. The great techs out there share their wisdom. The OP then debates. HUH...
I will offer this tidbit. On my 04 truck, when my egr cooler let go, it did the white smoke mosquito killer fog machine stuff, the egr valve stuck and the truck ran badly until we cleaned the egr valve. The engine fan never ramped up to speed. I did not change out the oil cooler at that time, bad plan. Fast forward 16000 miles. I was driving down the freeway, unloaded and not towing, with the truck running better than ever. All of a sudden the high speed engine fan went to full song. I had never heard this, even when towing our 12000 lb fiver. I pulled off the next exit to investigate. A thick green milk shake was dispensing itself out the degas tank and all over the engine and ground. Blown oil cooler. I fear the OP has now the same issue. The mess is huge and the cleanup/flush is a PITA. But....

Regards
ricatic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2010, 10:48 AM   #14 (permalink)
OT

I understand what can cause degas to overflow. Dont mean to stray from orig. Q., but its FDR. reply. Why..

FWIW..H.G. done on mine..r/o says...Diagnois Eng. coolant leaks. Test found coolant "dripping from rear of both cyl." Head gskts & leaking egr cooler faulty. When I talked to tech. & looking at my eng (cyl 5&7) he said with shop foreman looking in, there's where water was dripping from bad h.g. Work done under warr. & fmc approved it. My reason for thinking coolant could leak externally from bad h.g. My degas never puked & coolant loss was hardly noticeable. Anyhow, repairs still good. Tks.
Old 03-26-2010, 11:52 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
I understand what can cause degas to overflow. Dont mean to stray from orig. Q., but its FDR. reply. Why..

FWIW..H.G. done on mine..r/o says...Diagnois Eng. coolant leaks. Test found coolant "dripping from rear of both cyl." Head gskts & leaking egr cooler faulty. When I talked to tech. & looking at my eng (cyl 5&7) he said with shop foreman looking in, there's where water was dripping from bad h.g. Work done under warr. & fmc approved it. My reason for thinking coolant could leak externally from bad h.g. My degas never puked & coolant loss was hardly noticeable. Anyhow, repairs still good. Tks.
To completely understand how unlikely an external coolant leak from a head gasket on a 6.0L engine is you might need to actually see a head gasket and see where the coolant passages are in relation to the heads and the block. Since the head gaskets are of layered steel construction they would need to be severely burnt or corroded away to cause a leak... the same can be said for the cylinder heads and block. Anything is possible in this world but to have both cylinder head gaskets leak EXTERNALLY there would have to be some fairly severe damage to parts other than just the gaskets. Since "we" never even see coolant enter the cylinders when head gaskets leak combustion gasses into the cooling system, I conclude that short of Divine intervention, an external coolant leak from the head gaskets on a 6.0L PSD is nearly impossible.

There are other scenarios that may have confused the technician that worked on your truck that may have led him to that conclusion... no disrespect toward him is intended.
Diesel Mentor Directory
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.