Coolant Overflow 6.0 - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2005, 03:56 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Coolant Overflow 6.0

Anyone experience Coolant overflow in UNMODIFIED 05 (or other years). Went in for first oil change and noticed radiator overflow cap encrusted.[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] Truck is daily driver and not subject to long distance or heavy towing. All towing short distances, reasonable speeds and loads well within manufacturer's limits.

Ideas?

Also, some confusion at the dealership - one tech excited to tear it down and repace a head gasket - another believed capy may not have been tight or there was other problem, without mention of any such "teardown". I am not thrilled about the thought of a dealship tech tearing down a new 6.0 - think new long block more properly in order.
leffmand is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2005, 04:39 PM   #2 (permalink)

Re: Coolant Overflow 05 6.0

Yes I had the same thing happen with my unmodded 6.0 My coolant was well above the max mark on the tank .I took out about a quart and I havn't noticed it since.
Old 10-05-2005, 04:51 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks - see my additions to the original post - Scary!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img]

P.S. - Exact Same Truck - 05 SD CC SB 4X4 April Build

2001 Ex Ltd 7.3 4X4 08/01 build - prelube/post lube pump - otherwise Bone Stock

{Retired} 1999 V10 - 250XLT 08/98 build - Bone Stock - Sold in 01 to switch to X -

1993 GT 5.0 - Original Owner - daily driver at 105K; suspensiton upgrades; powertrain bone stock (and a better record of staying out of the shop over 13 years than the F250).
Old 10-05-2005, 05:28 PM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)

april 05 build.

I had the crusties, too. no real drips on the tank, just crusty white stuff under the threads.

This is at 10k miles.
The cap was a little loose.

Tightened it up and haven't seen anything yet.

The coolant is at "full" cold.
-T
Old 10-05-2005, 06:46 PM   #5 (permalink)

Most be an april thang. Mine had the crusty but no leaks. Seems like it was overfilled at factory. Drained some out and havn't had a problem since. Mine is pushed to the limits towing and never puked once. Great truck Don't sweet it seems like alot of them that month were overfilled.If it pukes it then I would worry.
Pulls better stock than my 01 with a programmer
New engine at 42k . Hope my luck with this 6.0 is changed .
firesoutmatt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2005, 08:34 PM   #6 (permalink)

This is called "puking" and in some cases means the head gaskets have started to leak. With that being said, I would wait to see if it does it again and if it does have them replace the cap and wait. If it continues to do it then have the dealer test the coolant for hydrocarbons. If they are present then you will need to consider letting them do the gaskets or egr cooler. If all you are seeing were a little crust or a drop of two then I would not worry about it but if you see little white dots all over the place then I would get them to test the coolant. It is commonly believed the degas bottle is extremely undersized for the coolant system on this truck so a little overflow is normal until the system equalizes its desired level in the bottle.

mark

2008 FX4 F250 CCSB w/ 6.4L PSD - Edge Insight, H13 Bi-HIDs, custom coolant filter, "all deleted", fumoto.
rock_doctor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2005, 12:40 AM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks for those0 who have responded. My guess - "Rock Doctor" has some experience with this - a tech with a lot of experience an engineer?

While initially frustrated, I have learned the following.

A. The Puking definition has come in to be the best "web search" criteria to give me knowledge - which is what I was seeking in the first place - as that is true POWER; and

B. Here's what I have learned in this endeavor:

1. The overflow resevoir contains a minimal capacity - some complain - BUT may be designed "idiot indicator" - SEE BELOW!

2. Modified and not properly monitored modifications can result in - PUKING - maybe a result of self-induced problems - as with Gas - you overheat the powerplant - you score pistons - warp heads - and do untoward damage to parts from your "lack of knowledge" - I have been there - and it sucks.

3. Nonmodified engines that are abused PUKE - l;ike excessive ideling in hot temperatures - a gas modor would have cooked the oil - thanfully you have 3X the capacity - agin another "redeeming quality" of a diesel

4.Some PSD's have out of tolerance (intake - head)parts - whether self-induced or manufactured - that causes heads to not properly seal - Result : it "PUKES" as a result of a gasket leak

<font color="red"> </font> The fortunate thing about the little coolant resevoir - of any of 2-4 apply any idiot under the hood will see it and say - "somthing's up I better get this checked out!"

MORAL: Before you detrmine how to react and respond to postings thing about the following

If you are in this site - you

(a) love your FORD diesel,
(b) are interested in one - but want to learn more,
(c) are frustrated about it, or
(d) looking to entertain yourself at the expense of someone else - by messing with those in the (b) or (c) category - and receiving a response from someone in the (a) category.

Thanks to those of you who post constructive messages.

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Keep it up and ignore the (d) categories here. If you want to play their game - go to their comparable site and flame them there! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

To destroy your enemy you must - kown them, understand them, and use their own flaws to destroy them. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif[/img]

Age, knowledge, and trechery overcome youth, strength and exuberance every time!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smokin.gif[/img]
Old 10-06-2005, 12:56 AM   #8 (permalink)

Rock Dock is spot on with his info. I have an '06 that was getting the crusties when it was just a few weeks old (bone stock). The degas bottle was filled from the factory to a point somewhat above the "full hot" mark. I drew it down to where it is at the "full cold" when at normal operating temp. and it hasn't done it since. I also agree that the bottle is too small for the application. Good luck! ---- What a terrible thing to have to say to someone with a new truck [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 10-06-2005, 01:18 AM   #9 (permalink)

I will keep y'all posted.

{Retired} 1999 V10 - 250XLT 08/98 build - Bone Stock - Sold in 01 to switch to X -

1993 GT 5.0 - Original Owner - daily driver at 105K; suspensiton upgrades; powertrain bone stock (and a better record of staying out of the shop over 13 years than the F250).
Old 10-06-2005, 11:25 AM   #10 (permalink)

My truck is 2/05 after lowering the coolant level no more krusty on the resevor.
10600 miles and everything good so far
mustang2v is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2005, 02:40 PM   #11 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for those who have responded. My guess - "Rock Doctor" has some experience with this - a tech with a lot of experience an engineer?

[/ QUOTE ]

I am neither, I use to be diesel certified mechanic with the old 2-stroker Detroit’s but the current diesel engines make them look like steam engines.

mark

2008 FX4 F250 CCSB w/ 6.4L PSD - Edge Insight, H13 Bi-HIDs, custom coolant filter, "all deleted", fumoto.
rock_doctor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2005, 06:09 PM   #12 (permalink)

Re: Coolant Overflow 6.0

The results are in - <font color="red"> </font> HEAD SURGERY <font color="black"> </font> [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img] Initially they say head gaskets. I am going to lean on them to have the heads checked for tolerances - as it doesn't seem that a properly installed head gasket would leak without there being some problem with the metals on either side of it.

Three weeks of disaster.
[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sick.gif[/img] No ride, no rental without factory ESP and a lovely payment.

Old 10-09-2005, 09:03 PM   #13 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)

The heads are probably fine. If you have ever seen the new style gaskets that are installed on many engines today, you would be amazed. The 6.0L is no exception. The head gaskets are a multi-layered steel gasket with printed sealant on the surfaces and presumably between the layers as well. <font color="#FF0000">Once the "seal" has been breeched by over pressurizing the cylinders </font>, the leak only gets worse. Even a slight leak during occasional heavy load operation will eventually worsen. The official repair is to replace the head gaskets and the head bolts. The gaskets have been redesigned to seal better. The bolts are the same original design and are not the problem. The reason for replacing the bolts is that a torque to yield bolt can only be used once. As for the cylinder heads, as long as they are within the allowed tolerances for cylinder head straightness and flatness, they are good to return to service.

[ QUOTE ]
<font color="red"> Once the "seal" has been breeched by over pressurizing the cylinders... </font>

[/ QUOTE ]
This is typically caused by an over boost condition due to a sensor and turbo malfunction or more commonly, aftermarket performance enhancers. Therefore, replacing the head gaskets is only half of the repair. The cause of the over boost condition needs to be identified and corrected.
Diesel Mentor Directory
ford_doctor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2005, 09:17 PM   #14 (permalink)

Well fortunately I know better than to place "aftermarket mods" on this truck. Have heard the horror stories and will not make that mistake.

Hopefully they can get it fixed correctly the first time.

Love the trusck - better handling than the older models and musch more power that the 7.3.

Old 10-09-2005, 09:59 PM   #15 (permalink)

I just read this thread. I noticed a lot of little white spots on my engine when I took it in for the fraying belt a few days after I took delivery. I wasn't sure what they were and the mechanic said he didn't know either. Could these be coolant?
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.